Butcha' Ya Blanche! Ya Are! Bette & Joan On Stage!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A new play is to bring two great names back to the West End stage this summer.

Anita Dobson and Greta Scacchi will bring to life the legendary feud between screen icons Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.
Butcha' Ya Blanche! Ya Are! Bette & Joan On Stage! Butcha' Ya Blanche! Ya Are! Bette & Joan On Stage!
Anita Dobson is best known for her role as 'Angie Watts' in "Eastenders".
Her recent London stage credits include "Calendar Girls" at the Noel Coward in 2009; "Hamlet" at the New Ambassadors in 2006; "Thoroughy Modern Millie" at the Shaftesbury in 2004.

Greta Scacchi is an internationally renowned film, theatre and television actress. Her many film credits include 'Heat and Dust'; 'White Mischief'; 'Emma'; 'Beyond the Sea'; 'The Browning Version'; 'Presumed Innocent' and The Player.
Her London stage credits include "The Deep Blue Sea" at the Vaudeville in 2008 and "The Guardman" at the Albery in 2000.

'Bette And Joan' will have its World Premier in London.
Anton Burg's play will be directed by Bill Alexander..
Opening 5th May 2011.
Closing 25th June 2011.

It is being presented as a major new season at the Arts that will be announced soon.

'Bette & Joan' sees the stars at the low points of their careers meet on the set of 'Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?'
A high risk shocker, the film becomes a surprise hit that propels them back to stardom.

Updated On: 5/18/11 at 12:06 PM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow! This looks great! Greta Scacchi is such a glamorous woman, and a wonderful actress.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm still disappointed that 'Whatever Happened To Baby jane? -The Musical' never made it to the West End.
It was presented in a semi staged version at the Theatre Royal Brighton and starred Millicent Martin and Christopher Biggins.
It was heavily rewritten and redirected and opened in Houston a few years later again starring Millicent martin buy t reviews killed that version off fast.
Some great numbers for the two ladies.
Updated On: 3/29/11 at 12:32 PM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With just doing Die, Mommie, Die! which is homage to many of their 'womens' pictures im now obsessed with these 2, we were talking about doing a play about the 2......but were beat to it.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane the musical was terrible, i have a copy on DVD and the music is horrid, the pacing painful but the 2 lead actors were wonderful (the set design was also incredible)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What a shame!
Always gonna pull in the queens, a show about bitchy bitches!

(the DVD you have is not the Brighton production, its the critic ravaged American production and yes I heard terrible things about it!)

http://www.mrltheatre.u-net.com/investors.htm
Updated On: 3/29/11 at 12:52 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I too have the DVD and yes it is pretty bad. Oddly enough the whole thing feels like SUNSET BOULEVARD. In order the musicalise the story every now and again a chorus burst forth and did a number then disappeared into the walls. It made one depressing musical.
Updated On: 3/30/11 at 07:58 PM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes the random chorus members coming from behind the mirror etc and then leaving was horrid.
I think the only way it could work woukd be as a campy drag version, very Charles Busch
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You would! ^^ :P
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
There is a fantastic book that was out years ago called Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud. Hillarious. Not sure if it is still in print.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A very broad musical comedy with Lypsinka and Charles Busch.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes Alterego i totally agree
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dont ask me how many times I read this when it came out!
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 03:15 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really want to see this
Seems the critc is on board with the Charles Busch idea lol
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Review by Peter Brown
10 May 2011

In spite of having similar backgrounds and life-experiences, movie stars Joan Crawford and Bette Davis reputedly hated each other, engaging in a feud which has become the stuff of legend. The feud came to a head when the actresses were cast in a low budget feature called 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?' which went on to achieve huge box office success and has itself become a legend.

Anita Dobson takes on the role of Joan Crawford and Greta Scacchi plays Bette Davis in this new play by Anton Burge which focuses on the year 1962 when Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were shooting 'Baby Jane'. Two dressing rooms sit side-by-side on the stage and its from their respective inner sanctums that most of the action takes place.

Joan Crawford starts off the proceedings telling us that she is “one hell of a star” and how it's “wonderful to be a perfectionist”. She also tells us – repeatedly – that she 'has balls', and we certainly believe her. It's not long, though, before the bitchiness commences and the subject moves on from Ms Crawford's self-glorification to her derisory musings about her co-star. Then the action moves over to Bette Davis's dressing room and there's largely more of the same with Ms Davis calling Crawford a 'clothes horse', and saying that 'it's a matter of opinion if she's still alive'. And so it goes on while the two prepare to shoot a scene which requires Ms Davis to lift Ms Crawford. They rehearse, but after Ms Davis departs, Crawford dons a string of weights under her costume to make it harder for Davis to lift her, demonstrating that the feud was not simply confined to words.

There are times during the play when you would almost think that the real Bette Davis is standing delivering the lines. Greta Scacchi catches Ms Davis's intonation and clipped manner of speech quite brilliantly, though not entirely consistently. She's blunt, forthright and abrasive and there's the ever-present cigarette which seemed as much a prop for the real Ms Davis as it is here for Ms Scacchi. And when she transforms herself into Baby Jane, with blonde wig and elongated curls set against a deathly white face, the result is pretty scary. Anita Dobson also manges to get under the skin of Joan Crawford, producing an almost aristocratic Crawford with a sense of poisonous menace underlying a calm and controlled exterior. On balance, Ms Dobson has better and funnier lines, but both actors appear to be relishing their roles.

There's bitchiness aplenty in Anton Burge's script. Bette Davis tells us that Crawford 'slept with everyone on the lot, except Lassie'. Ms Crawford says Bette has 'always been difficult' due to a 'disorganised sex life'. All of this makes for considerable mirth, but the material hardly results in prolonged gales of laughter, rather intermittent breezes. If you were looking for a punch-up between these two mega stars you're in for disappointment. Apart from a fairly restrained confrontation in the second half, they're largely kept isolated in their dressing rooms, rather like boxers hurling abuse at each other from their corners. We do learn something of their private lives – the numerous marriages, the men they loved, the fathers who cast them aside, the dependants they had to support – but these insights are secondary to the feud and the bitching which is what I suspect most people will want to see.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just announced!
8 week UK tour with the original ladies from April 2012!

**I mean Anita and Greta, not Bette and Joan of course! lol
Updated On: 11/16/11 at 11:55 AM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So excited
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do we know which cities? :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Swansea Grand is closest fro you in April.
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Didn't hear great things about it, and Anita Dobson puts me right off.

As an alternative, we watched this at edinburgh fringe in August, was a joy from start to finish. it's at The Lowry next year, presumably as part of a tour.

http://www.thelowry.com/event/bette-and-joan-the-final-curtain
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bette & Joan, The Final Curtain, as seen at the Edinburgh Fringe was quite different to the Anita & Greta show but, in my opinion, much better and much more imaginative. Well worth checking out.