Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#2
Posted: 3/8/11 at 3:32pm
This really makes me think that John Owen-Jones is going to replace Ramin Karimloo in Love Never Dies.
Updated On: 3/8/11 at 03:32 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#2
Posted: 3/8/11 at 8:16pm
Gutted I am.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#3
Posted: 3/8/11 at 8:19pm
Really? I genuinely am.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#4
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:02pm
I thought it was a bit late in date announcements, look at all the tours that are taking up some of the UK houses this year already, South Pacific, We Will Rock You, Dirty Dancing, if this was actually gonna go ahead I'd have thought they'd have already announced a tour schedule - ah well, still in't good old West End. I'm sure the Lord will get a nice cake from Sainsbury's or something for the cast on the night of the anniversary :)
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#5
Posted: 3/9/11 at 3:12am
He's always eating bloody cake >.<
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#6
Posted: 3/10/11 at 5:22pm
I've heard that the tour IS going ahead - it's going to be a brand new re-imagined production with Danielle Hope as Christine and the writers of The Wizard of Oz are going to be writing additional songs.
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
New Phantom tour not going ahead#7
Posted: 3/11/11 at 6:46am
He's always eating bloody cake >.<

He likes to have it and eat it at the same time, I've noticed.

Perhaps he feels that "the biggest piece of hokum ever written" doesn't need touring again and wants to tour a certain other show that isn't doing very well in its place?

As for John Owen-Jones, I'd rather he didn't go near the Adelphi any time soon.
Updated On: 3/11/11 at 06:46 AM
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#8
Posted: 3/11/11 at 10:58am
Anyways.......

It has always bothered me that this show (produced by Cam Mac) never seems to get the same treatment as Les Mis.

Phantom's 25th is coming up, no concerts, no re-vamped tour, no live recording, nothing. And I can bet that the actual anniversary performance will be your run of the mill invitee only show aith a little on stage cake at the end.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New Phantom tour not going ahead#9
Posted: 3/11/11 at 11:42am
"Phantom's 25th is coming up, no concerts, no re-vamped tour, no live recording, nothing."

Absence of announcement does not mean absence of intent. After all, the LES MIS concert was announced at the Oliviers - perhaps they're just saving up an announcement for this weekend?

Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
New Phantom tour not going ahead#10
Posted: 3/11/11 at 1:45pm
Agreed. If they were planning an outright tour for this year, like Les Mis, obviously that would have been announced by now, but if it's "just" a concert, then there is plenty of time. Announcing something like that far too early is just tedious and leads to a whole load of casting speculation and debate about whether or not Michael Ball is too old etc.

JOJ is performing at the Oliviers this year, presumably as a nod to the anniversary, and he also tweeted something about sharing the stage with a legendary "surprise guest". He is prone to a bit of hyperbole, but I fully expect that to be a Phantom related surprise designed to generate a bit of publicity.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#11
Posted: 3/12/11 at 11:53am
It would be interesting to see. We need a new recording - live would be great, and with John Owen-Jones (arguably the most popular Phantom ever) would be great.

Pray for something special tomorrow night and the rest of the year.
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#12
Posted: 3/12/11 at 1:28pm
Hmm not sure id say the most popular, definitely up there though. Although personally i have never rated his Phantom, too melodramatic in the acting. Perfection as JVJ though
Quiquo Profile PhotoQuiquo Profile Photo
Quiquo
Swing
Swing
New Phantom tour not going ahead#13
Posted: 3/12/11 at 10:49pm
You all should be thankful Phantom hasn't gotten "the Les Mis treatment." If you consider paper-thin, inferior orchestrations; badly re-conceived productions where the central point of it is to "be different" than its award winning original production; and destroy everything that was good about the show by introducing some hokey concepts and implementing cost-cutting mercilessly...

I could go on. :wink:

At any rate, I've always gotten a sense that Cammack doesn't really care much for Phantom. According to him, the show is successful because of its incredible designs and the romantic lushness of its music.

I couldn't agree more.

It's a great show for the casual theatregoer who wants to be wowed and enjoy beautiful music and simple tales...in under 2.5 hours. That basically makes up most of the people who bother to attend a live performance anymore. I think Phantom's biggest flaw is its tendency to take itself far too seriously. It's like Carrie, but with a totally awesome set design, eye-gouging costumes and lighting, and a masterful direction that only enhances it as much as possible.

I've seen it over 20 times, including all three U.S. national tours and on Broadway, and I know it was for its entertainment value--that chandelier, the brilliant orchestrations and large orchestras, the amazingly efficient sets and their evocative designs, and the awesome lighting.

I don't think I've ever invested any of my self in it as I've done with Les Miserables. And it's not cause I refuse; I just don't see a way to further immerse myself in the experience.

But hats off to Phantom for further helping me (and a lot of people) get hooked on musical theatre. Not to mention, give countless jobs to countless actors, musicians, stage people, and for giving the live performance art greater exposure and making it a popular success.

I think I was all of 13 years old when I first saw it in 1992 at the Ahmanson Theatre in L.A. It was only the 2nd show I saw live, and I left the theatre mesmerized by its magic.

It was so stunning to look at, hear, and experience, I did not even notice the gaping holes within the plot and the absence of characters to care about!!! LOL.
~ "Over light today Momma?" ~ "On no, Babs, no; it's sunny out today. I want them sunny-side up. You know how I like them Babs, you know how I like them."
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#14
Posted: 3/13/11 at 5:54am
I disagree with pretty much everything you just said xD
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#15
Posted: 3/13/11 at 7:04am
Yeap - I disagree also!

Something special will happen for Phantoms 25th simple, because it is a great marketing opportunity to do a spectacular concert, (this makes a great opportunity to do a DVD and CD), maybe a UK tour, I would of thought Cameroon would of done a US tour, except the road show finished only 6 months ago

The key here is the concert.
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
New Phantom tour not going ahead#16
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:11am
Something special will happen for Phantoms 25th simple, because it is a great marketing opportunity to do a spectacular concert, (this makes a great opportunity to do a DVD and CD), maybe a UK tour, I would of thought Cameroon would of done a US tour, except the road show finished only 6 months ago

You'd think that, but I suspect the combination of Cameron not wanting Phantom to outshine the Miz celebrations means he won't be bothering with anything, and in the hands of RUG, nothing will happen (besides a last ditch attempt to lure Phantom audiences to Love Never Dies before that closes).

At the tenth anniversary concert, fans who had legitimately bought tickets to Her Majesty's were told at the last minute by RUG, who had invited a celebrity-only audience, that their tickets were invalid and they couldn't attend. No other event happened. I was at the 20th anniversary performance, which was much better in that the public were allowed to attend. Not a lot happened though beyond free champagne, balloons and the appearance of ALW, Sarah Brightman and a couple of the creatives on stage. I'd hope for something like that at least, but at present the public still can't book for the 25th anniversary dates.

Better celebrations have included the Broadway record-breaking show and the Las Vegas fan event, but RUG wasn't involved in the latter and I'm not sure if it had much/anything to do with the former either.
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#17
Posted: 3/14/11 at 8:48am
Rumour has it there were plans a year or 2 ago for a concert with Josh Groban (please no) but that fell through. I got the impression that they were not sure how to do Phantom in concert format.

But based on the more recent Les Mis concert, I dont really see why it has to be 'stand up at a mic and sing at the audience' If the cast wore the usual teatre mics they do in the show there could be more interaction. Sure Les Mis doesn't build an actual baricade in their concerts, but it cant be that hard to raise and drop a chandelier, combine that with some nice video projection of the actual show and show's backdrops. They can even erect the proscenium and all (they did the show in an 'arena' setting somewhere in asia already)
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#18
Posted: 3/14/11 at 9:50am
Well, no announcement at the Olivier Awards...I sure hope SOMETHING happens!
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#19
Posted: 3/14/11 at 10:47am
The way they did the title song (shich would be one of the more difficult scenes to stage in a concert) was done very well. On an expanded stage, all 6 candelabras and similar video projections, a concert can be staged in a fantastic way
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New Phantom tour not going ahead#20
Posted: 3/17/11 at 7:06pm
ooooooooh! ooooooooooh! oooooooooh!

Ramin Karimloo .... twitter ...

He says - 25th anniversary concert!

They're selling exclusive tickets on ebay for comic relief!

He is going to be playing the phantom!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Phantom tour not going ahead#21
Posted: 3/17/11 at 7:09pm
Ooh, we both posted @ the same time, MusicalBoy.

I'd love to follow you on Twitter if you'd like to PM me your Twitter name? :P