Page: 1

RSC Has Stewart To Play Shylock For 50th Celebrations

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Patrick Stewart will star as Shylock in Rupert Goold’s production of 'The Merchant of Venice' as part of the Royal Shakespeare Company’s 50th birthday season, the company has confirmed today.

The RSC has announced casting for its anniversary season, which will also see Jonathan Slinger take the title role in 'Macbeth' directed by Michael Boyd - the first new production to be staged in the revamped Royal Shakespeare Theatre. Commenting on the casting of Slinger as Macbeth, Boyd said: “Jonathan is without doubt one of the finest actors of his generation, and has more than proved himself in the role of disturbed Shakespearean kings.”
Slinger will appear alongside Aislin McGuckin as Lady Macbeth.

Slinger and McGuckin will also appear in David Farr’s revival of 'The Homecoming' in the Swan Theatre, which will also feature Des McAleer and Richard Riddell.

Other highlights of the season include Nancy Meckler directing 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream' and Anthony Neilson directing 'Marat/Sade', both in the RST.

Meanwhile, in the Swan Theatre, Gregory Doran will direct Shakespeare’s ‘lost play’ 'Cardenio' with newcomer Olly Rix in the title role.
Traverse artistic director Dominic Hill will direct 'The City Madam'.

Updated On: 1/31/11 at 10:45 AM
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm more excited by Jonathan Slinger's return to the company. He is well on his way to being a great Shakesperian actor.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RSC - has the 'S' got anything to do with snozing.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom of London, what is up with you? You're supposedly a theatre fan yet you've just single-handedly badmouthed 3 of the most important theatrical venues and their respective productions in ten minutes. Not to mention one of the most famous actors of all in one of the most famous plays of all.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've asked him the same but no reply.
Postings are more along the lines of the bitchy 14 & 15 year olds on the Broadway board.

Updated On: 1/31/11 at 04:13 PM
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I must admit that the RSC has had a patchy track record lately, but I don't see how anyone could dismiss such a significant and influential company like that. Unless they've never been or even read about it, of course...

When they do get it right they're unbeatable - the Romeo and Juliet from last year (being revived next month) is one of the best things I've ever seen. Looking forward to the new season, especially The Merchant of Venice but that's more because of Goold than Stewart.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Quite agree-reccent years have been hit and miss but when they hit they really hit!

I generally attend most of the season anyway but I'm excited about Stewart Merchant of Venice was my 'first' Shakespeare so I have a fondness for it anyway. I'm having a birthday weekend in August of that and Macbeth, will probably catch the rest throughout the summer as ususal too.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't say I'm ever very excited about Patrick Stewart onstage. He has a very particular acting style that works very well for some characters, but is endlessly disappointing when applied to others. From what I remember of The Merchant of Venice, I'm rather worried he's going to tend more towards the latter with this one. :/

But on the other hand, it was the Goold/Stewart combo that delivered the only enjoyable production of The Tempest in theatrical history* (see avatar) so hopefully Goold will work his magic once more and deliver a cracking production with a decent performance drawn from Stewart.

*It's just a really really really really really DULL play, okay?

For me, it is ALL ABOUT Jonathan Slinger. Not sure how I feel about him playing Macbeth when the last Shakespearean role I saw him in was Richard III (I consider Richard III to be the infinitely more charismatic and entertaining forerunner of Macbeth), but with Boyd directing, Piper designing, and King fight-directing, it should be pretty good. :3

Macbeth is also a really really dull play to me, and I can't work out if it's more of a frustration or a relief that there are some really brilliant moments sandwiched between duller scenes.

Some eejit has peer-pressured me into seeing the Pinter as well. Just lie back and think of Slinger, Farr, Bausor, and Clark...
Updated On: 2/1/11 at 09:49 AM