Page: 1

Charlie and the chocolate factory

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#1
Posted: 1/26/11 at 9:12am
On course for Spring 2012. Neal street productions producing. They are after The Prince Edward, but face competition from the other suspected big hit for next year "Viva Forver" - the Spice girls musical.

Jersey Boys looks set to transfer for one of these bigger musicals.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#2
Posted: 1/26/11 at 9:32am
People have been saying Jersey Boys is gonna transfer for this musical, that musical for the 2 years.
The shows is ticking over very well at the Prince Edward and is showing no sign of closing or going smaller.
Ask Cameron!
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 09:32 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#2
Posted: 1/26/11 at 3:21pm
Viva Forever is a "suspected big hit"? As big as Never Forget, Tonight's the Night, Daddy Cool or Desperately Seeking Susan?
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#3
Posted: 1/26/11 at 3:23pm
^More like Mamma Mia! We Will Rock You, Jersey Boys Charlie and the chocolate factory
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#4
Posted: 1/26/11 at 3:38pm
Where did Mamma Mia start life... Spice Girls will follow the same trajectory.

Charlie & Chocolate- about time, but there may be a glut of kids' shows, what with Shrek and Oz coming in this year.

from what I hear, Shrek sales are very modest. Am I wrong?
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#5
Posted: 1/26/11 at 3:51pm
Ive heard the same about Shreks sales, hopefully it wont stick around long.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#6
Posted: 1/26/11 at 3:53pm
Having musicals of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Matilda in the West End at the same time would be quite strange, but great!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#7
Posted: 1/26/11 at 4:46pm
I have no great objection to Shrek- I thought the set design was incredibly flexible and some of the music is memorable- it's just that the script was oh-so-familiar, (something I never expected from DL-A), and it was like the creators had had a lapse of concentration during some rather bland sections.

It's just a shame Sutton Foster and Daniel Breaker aren't coming over- they would make the ticket worthwhile.

On the plus side- the producers deserve some credit for actually reducing the price of previews quite substantially!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#8
Posted: 1/26/11 at 6:13pm
To me, Shrek was just a notch above Young Frankenstein. Both films are ingenious, but the musicals didn't really add anything substantial enough to warrant retelling the story in a much longer version. Same gags, same schticks, but now with songs and staging that sort of impede on the visuals and stylings of the originals rather than enhance them (Spamalot) or re-conceptualize them (The Lion King).
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#9
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:01pm
I would love to agree with you Matt, but I enjoyed Shrek and Young Frankenstein, I wonder if seeing them on stage first, before the film helped?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#10
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:04pm
'Shrek' is doing abysmal business considering the giant its supposed to be and where it is playing. Last weekend I spoke to the box office team and it just isn't selling!
maybe the public are waiting to see if Ms Holden leaves 'due to prior commitments' and they get someone real in for Fiona!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#11
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:22pm
Saw in the paper today, that the Fiona elect has a bit of a issue with a bit of a bump, however are you going to attract an Ogre with swollen ankles dear?

As for sales seems everyone is chasing 'The Wizard'!
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 07:22 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#12
Posted: 1/26/11 at 7:44pm
Not a fan of Dahl, so not particularly inspired by the prospect of Matilda or Charlie - especially as the latter has a score by Whitman and Shaiman (whose Hairspray score bored me to death). As for the other shows mentioned - I quite enjoyed Young Frankenstein, though it did not blowe me away, and Shrek I found absolute torture.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#13
Posted: 1/27/11 at 3:33am
Why has the Bricusse score never really made it to the stage- it is iconic!
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Charlie and the chocolate factory#14
Posted: 1/27/11 at 4:05am
It might be iconic, but it's very old fashioned and none of the songs really move the story on - they're just a collection of weird (and a bit creepy) solo songs (other than Golden ticket). Plus, the Dahl Foundation would NEVER allow that score to be on stage as Roald hated the film - and the terrible ending they tagged onto it.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Charlie and the chocolate factory#14
Posted: 1/27/11 at 4:05am
It might be iconic, but it's very old fashioned and none of the songs really move the story on - they're just a collection of weird (and a bit creepy) solo songs (other than Golden ticket). Plus, the Dahl Foundation would NEVER allow that score to be on stage as Roald hated the film - and the terrible ending they tagged onto it.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Charlie and the chocolate factory#16
Posted: 1/27/11 at 6:01am
The score could easily be separated from the screenplay. I don't find it any more dated than Chitty, which still seems to please.

And haven't they used the score quite extensively onstage in the States?