Page: 1

Zhivago the musical in Sydney

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zhivago the musical in Sydney#1
Posted: 1/16/11 at 6:18pm
I just came across a link to the website of the new musical Zhivago that is soon to open in Sydney. Based on Boris Pasternak's classic novel, which was made into a multi-Oscar winning movie in the 1960s by David Lean, this is fantastic material for a musical. (The movie is one of the greatest movies of all time IMO - with a magnificent screenplay by the great Robert Bolt.) And with the awesome Anthony Warlow in the title role, this piece has great promise. Hopefully the creative team will manage to pull it off and maybe it will make it over to London. The West End is in dire need of a really good new musical - with any luck, this will be it.

If you click on "play the music", you can hear two songs from the score. Lucy Simon's music is really beautiful (just as with her sublime score for the Secret Garden). The only downside for me is the lyrics - in the first song particularly - I haven't heard so many forced rhymes since I saw Love Never Dies. lol

Dr Zhivago the musical
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zhivago the musical in Sydney#2
Posted: 1/16/11 at 6:37pm
I have tickets but after hearing those songs I'm not expecting much.
"Itís the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zhivago the musical in Sydney#2
Posted: 1/16/11 at 6:39pm

Is this the same show that played San Diego recently?

Zhivago the musical in Sydney
Updated On: 1/16/11 at 06:39 PM