Page: 1

Cast changes

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#1
Posted: 1/1/11 at 7:09pm
This is a subject that has always got me wondering. Do West-End shows, in the most part, have 'cast changes' where the whole cast is changed?

This meaning, are they all on contracts that expire at roughly the same time?

I know a couple of the contracts in Les MisÚrables are up soon, and on Youtube you'll likely find bootlegs under 2005-2006 cast or whatever, but does the whole cast change?

Obviously Norm Lewis hasn't long joined Les Mis, is he an exception where one leading artist might bridge two casts? And is he on a shorter contract?

A lot of questions, just something that i've always wondered.

Last thing: Is this a blanket rule?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#2
Posted: 1/1/11 at 7:23pm
Yes, there are usually big cast changes. Obviously some people will want to stay on and others leave but generally contracts start/are renewed at the same time, so a big bunch of people will leave on the same week.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#2
Posted: 1/1/11 at 7:33pm
Anyone have a list of when the cast changes this year are going to happen? Not likely, I know... :P
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#3
Posted: 1/1/11 at 8:07pm
do we know who will take over from norm in january? as i know alfie boe goes back in as of june so i would like a good javert! Im just hoping its not hans! but i know hes doing something atm!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#4
Posted: 1/1/11 at 8:11pm
"but i know hes doing something atm!"

Retiring with a bit of luck ^^
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#5
Posted: 1/1/11 at 8:28pm
unfortunatley CYH he is doing Dans der Vampieren in belgium or the netherlands
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cast changes#6
Posted: 1/2/11 at 7:47am
I think that its largely to do with the popularity/success of particular actors and whether the producers think that they can sell tickets.

For example, In wicked, the whole cast is changing around the same time with the exception of the two astounding female leads as well as the poplar (for some reason) mamdame morrible and the wizard.
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
Cast changes#7
Posted: 1/2/11 at 3:03pm
Well... about Les Mis.
Technically, they always have the official cast change around the third weekend of June, and that used to be the one big date. For example, on the 19th June 2010, three principals (David Thaxton, Nancy Sullivan and Emily Bull) and a few ensemble members left the production with the end of their contracts instead of renewing.
There have been exceptions with Valjeans leaving later in the year, around October, for some time now, due to JOJ and Drew Sarich switching (West End <=> Broadway) in 2007 and then David Shannon coming in for Sarich in 2008 and then Simon Bowman taking over in October 2009. At that point, Earl Carpenter and Katie Hall left, too, to join the tour so there was a small cast change for three principal roles that night.
With Les Mis's 25th Anniversary, things have been changing a lot due to stunt casting, people coming in for only couple of weeks and the O2 preparations and general randomness on Cameron Mackintosh's behalf.
Norm Lewis took over two weeks after the last cast change in June 2010, so I don't really know what you mean when you say that he hasn't "long joined" the cast. And for some reason they're doing a Marius and Mme Thenardier change in late January now, with Gareth Gates coming in (and he did a few weeks in autumn, too), so the cast is being changed all the time. But, usually, you'll have the aforementioned casts of, say, 2008/09, covering six months of the first year and six of the second.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#8
Posted: 1/2/11 at 3:13pm
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I thought Norm Lewis had rejoined at the moment? According to the website, this is so, but I have been struggling to keep up with the casting in the West-End production this year...
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
Cast changes#9
Posted: 1/2/11 at 4:47pm
He took over from Hans-Peter Jannsens almost exactly half a year ago, reprising his role from Broadway, and has been in the show regularly since then (just being off for holidays/illness, obviously), and apparently he's going to stay for the rest of the season.
ETA: I.e. he's been in it for quite some time now and is basically doing a normal run (apart from starting two weeks later than the others).
Updated On: 1/2/11 at 04:47 PM
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#10
Posted: 1/2/11 at 5:23pm
How long was Janssens in it!?

I saw him in 2007...
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
Cast changes#11
Posted: 1/2/11 at 5:43pm
He was part of the 2006/07 and 2007/08 casts (left in June 2008 ) and then came back in October 2009 to take over after 15 wonderful months of Earl Carpenter as Javert.
Updated On: 1/2/11 at 05:43 PM
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast changes#12
Posted: 1/2/11 at 6:40pm
I wouldn't say wonderful is the right word to describe it... :P