Chess UK tour

Gaudio
Swing
Swing
Chess UK tour#1
Posted: 10/24/10 at 2:48pm
Another tour date has just been announced - Wycombe Swan Theatre : Tuesday 29 March to Saturday 2 April. This isn't yet on the official website and neither is the Politeama Rossetti, Trieste, Italy which was listed on icethesite.com weeks ago : Wednesday 13 April to Sunday 18 April.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#2
Posted: 10/27/10 at 7:23am
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#2
Posted: 10/27/10 at 7:30am
Just read your review, agree with everything as I have never seen the show, love listening to the various cast recording though, as you say say the score is quite wonderful and Tim Rice said "it is as good as anything he has wrote, unfortunately this does not mean it will work on stage.

I have got Southend next year earmarked to see this show, as it's about an hour drive from me and I doubt it will get to the West End?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#3
Posted: 10/27/10 at 9:11am
The production quality is high enough to move it to London but with the book still a mess and the show not quite coming together right im not sure how well it would do.

For people who love Chess its the best production you will see of it. For everyone who hates the book and thinks the show except the score is a bit of mess then thats still the case, just hidden behind a glorious production.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#4
Posted: 10/27/10 at 6:36pm
I don't think any musical in the history of theatre has evolved as much as this show.

I understand that the current touring production is quite true to the original London production, not a problem with that, but understand that a production has just finished in Washington at the 'Signature' theatre, which based on the original Broadway production, this show, got really good reviews on the Broadway Board.

In the US only the Broadway version is allowed to be reproduced, I wonder if it is the same here in the UK with our original show?

I would love to sample both productions, as they are meant to be very different.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chess UK tour#5
Posted: 10/28/10 at 6:08am
Good to hear some opinions on this, I'm seeing it in Cardiff next week.

I love the score but am well aware of the faults in the book/problems in staging it. Still looking forward to seeing a full production after only seeing the RAH concert previously.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#6
Posted: 10/28/10 at 8:52am
I don't think any musical in the history of theatre has evolved as much as this show

Ooh- you should look into the history of Candide. Now that is tangled!

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#7
Posted: 10/28/10 at 5:30pm
Which night r u going, soonerorlater? I'm going on Wednesday.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Chess UK tour#8
Posted: 11/2/10 at 8:29am
Saw this last night in Cardiff....overall quite enjoyed with a few misgivings (think I am over the actors as orchestra gimmick). All the cast were great though and some great ideas by Craig RH Chess UK tour
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chess UK tour#9
Posted: 11/2/10 at 8:34am
I'm going on Saturday (Evening) Bob, what a shame we might have run into each other!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#10
Posted: 11/2/10 at 12:03pm
Yes, that is a shame. I deliberately avoided Saturday as no way did I want to drive into Cardiff on a Rugby International day! lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chess UK tour#11
Posted: 11/2/10 at 3:05pm
Oh S**t! Didn't realise men were playing with their odd shaped balls on Sat, and it's the bloody fireworks too!

Chess the things I'll put up with for you....
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#12
Posted: 11/2/10 at 3:48pm
Well love, if it had a bigger, proper, real, orchestra, maybe all the commotion outside on Park Place would be drowned out! LOL x
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chess UK tour#13
Posted: 11/2/10 at 4:34pm
LOL! fair point!

If it's terrible I might just encourage some of the drunken louts to stumble in and sing a rugby song or two....
WestendBroadway
Swing
Swing
Chess UK tour#14
Posted: 11/2/10 at 5:25pm
If it's terrible I might just encourage some of the drunken louts to stumble in and sing a rugby song or two....

I can do that if you want, I'll be at the match Chess UK tour

Sorry, off topic. I have nothing constructive to say about Chess - I didn't fancy going to see it in Cardiff after having been crippled by the seats in the theatre last week for Thriller Live (the things you do for your friends).

Ok, erm, I am WestEnd2 - I have no idea who WestendBroadway is. Apparently it is me... I know I've had a couple of glasses of wine, but I'm sure I remember my own name...
Updated On: 11/2/10 at 05:25 PM
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#15
Posted: 11/2/10 at 5:33pm
How come they're not using the concert libretto? Didn't Tim Rice want that version to become the new "standard" script? I'm confused.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#16
Posted: 11/2/10 at 6:57pm
x
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chess UK tour#17
Posted: 11/3/10 at 11:21am
Westend-wait for my signal, I'll be the one trying to get the feeling back into my legs at the interval Chess UK tour

After years of suffuring the New Theatre's seats I feel your pain-one of the few times I'm thankful for being quite short too!

CatsNY-confused as are many people regarding Chess (yes I still love it but with it's faults and all!)
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#18
Posted: 11/3/10 at 7:54pm
Just got back from seeing Chess in Cardiff - a bit knackered after driving a hundred miles round trip so won't write much right - hope to get a review wqritten tomorrow. But just had to say three words about my reaction to the show:
WOW! WOW! WOW!
(and the icing on the cake was a friend of mine was on as Florence - and she was fantastic!)
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#19
Posted: 11/3/10 at 9:10pm
Glad you liked it. Like i said in my review its a wonderful production but sadly you can never really get rid of the problems Chess has always had
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chess UK tour#20
Posted: 11/4/10 at 4:48am
Glad you liked it Bob-looking forward to Saturday to see for myself.

I think it's a fair point that you can't get rid of the problems in Chess, those of us who like it will do in spite of that (and hope for a good production)
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#21
Posted: 11/4/10 at 11:19am
My review is now up. Wish I could savour this fab production again - Heaven help my heart! lol
CHESS IN CARDIFF BROADWAYWORLD rEVIEW
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#23
Posted: 11/7/10 at 6:40am
Thanks for posting the youtube link, mama - fabulous clips. Reminded me of what a wonderful production this is. Shame it didn't include anything of James Fox's Pity The Child though - that was the absolute highlight of the show.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chess UK tour#24
Posted: 11/7/10 at 7:01am
It is shot so well, just makes you think that there will be full production recorded professionally out there somewhere?

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the New, I always get a buzz at that delightful little theatre that the Grand in Swansea has lost over the years.