Page: 1

Matinees in West End

Patash Profile PhotoPatash Profile Photo
Patash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#1
Posted: 10/7/10 at 3:28am
I just arrived in London this morning and have been looking at shows. In the past London was wonderful because you could see two shows most days, with lots of matinees on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday. But it seems nearly all matinees now are only on Wed. and Sat. just like in NYC.

Meanwhile, I can't seem to find a site that lists shows showing at a particular time -- like enter Friday matinee and see if there is a list rather than just checking every single show individually. Is there such a site? And can anyone tell me what shows if any DO have a Friday or a Tuesday matinee?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#2
Posted: 10/7/10 at 3:44am
TheatreMonkey has a show timetable. http://www.theatremonkey.co.uk/ and click on "Show Time Schedule" on the left. Brings up a nice big colour-coded chart. :)

As far as I remember, Tuesday matinees are The Woman in Black, The Phantom of the Opera, and The 39 Steps, but TheatreMonkey will have any others listed.

As for Fridays, I don't think you get matinees so much as you get early evening performances at 5pm and then later evening performances at 8.30pm or some such. So plan carefully, 'cos it could be tricky (although not necessarily impossible) to get from a 5pm show to a 7.30pm or 8pm one.
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Matinees in West End#2
Posted: 10/7/10 at 3:53am
Still lots of shows have matinees on Thursday - about 8 or so. Tuesday - 4 and Friday, 5. So things haven't changed much. Wednesday has always had the most. Tuesday the least. Fridays tend not to be matinees but early evening shows. Try LondonTheatre.co.uk which list by days though I couldn't find Sunday list there but there is a list of Sunday shows on the official london theatre website.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#3
Posted: 10/7/10 at 4:19am
There may be a couple of plays I don't know about that have different matinee days but here's the list as far as I do know:
TUESDAY matinees:
Jersey Boys; Phantom; The Moustrap; The Woman In Black; 39 Steps

THURSDAY matinees;
Billy Elliot; Blood Brothers; Dreamboats & Petticoats; Legally Blonde; Priscilla; War Horse.

FRIDAY early evenings:
Mamma Mia (5 & 8.30.); Avenue Q (5 & Matinees in West End; Chicago (5 & 8.30);
Dirty Dancing (5 & 8.30.); Grease (5.30 & 8.30.);
Flashdance (FROM 15 OCT - 5 & 8.30.)

If you choose 1 Friday show with a 5 pm start and another with an 8.30. start, you should fit them both in as long as you don't want to eat LOL.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time in London theatreland.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Patash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#4
Posted: 10/8/10 at 10:26am
Thanks for the info. The difference is I can remember doing three shows before on Friday -- there used to be some 2:30 matinees, then saw ART at 5, and another show at 7:30 or 8. But now there are no afternoon matinees.

And sadly Thursday isn't working for us as we arrived and depart on Thursday. Guess I need to do better planning in the future.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#5
Posted: 10/8/10 at 10:38am
Onthe plus side, we do have some Sundays now :)
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Matinees in West End#6
Posted: 10/8/10 at 10:47am
I have been going to London theatre for 30 years andcannot remember ever having seen afternooon matinees on a Friday starting at 2.30. Friday mats have always been early evening performances - usually 5. There have been occasional late shows so perhaps you fitted 3 in that way.
Hope you manage to fit in a few shows.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#7
Posted: 10/8/10 at 10:57am
There have been the odd Friday matinees- trying to remember one... 900 Oneonta, perhaps. But definitely I have seen a Friday afternoon show.
Patash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#8
Posted: 10/10/10 at 3:55am
Yes, devonian, me too, but I'll have to wait till I get home to the US to look up in a journal and see what it was. I only remember that the 5 PM show between two others was ART, fairly early on, so it's certainly been quite a while back.

While I'm on the subject of matinees, yesterday (Sat, Oct 9) we saw the matinee of Deathtrap. I had looked online and saw there were very few tickets, but Friday at TKTS, I asked if they >thought< they'd have Deathtrap tickets for the next day's matinee or evening. The guy couldn't have been nicer. He looked it up and said it was very doubtful they'd have evening tickets, then said "but I do have three seats Row G of the stalls dead center for the matinee". "I'll take them" I said thinking they'd be full price advance sale tickets, but no -- he gave them to me at half price! Great seats, super show, and a packed house (at least in the stalls).

My "first time London" friends are seeing the matinee of Lion King today, but I couldn't find anything for me today (Sunday) so I'll take a break.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matinees in West End#9
Posted: 10/20/10 at 6:33pm
Great advice Weez, did not know that spreadsheet appears on theatre monkey and as I take in a lot of matinees in the week, always had to look at each show individually, now just need to reference this chart.