A Phan-tastic Wizard?#1
Posted: 9/23/10 at 7:14pm
A Phan-tastic Wizard?

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#2
Posted: 9/23/10 at 9:56pm
Quite a coup for The Wizard of Oz but isn't the Wizard a small role unless they beef it up. Even in Wicked, the Wizard only get two songs and doesn't even appear till the end of act 1.

Will be interesting if the changes can help the show succeed as a stage musical because it's a wonderful film with great songs but it doesn't translate well on stage.
bwayphreak234 Profile Photobwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#3
Posted: 9/23/10 at 10:40pm
wow.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#6
Posted: 9/24/10 at 6:42am
I'm with Jon think its clever casting.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#7
Posted: 9/24/10 at 6:49am
Do we not like Michael Crawford anymore? The first thought I had upon reading the headline was that it seems to be the only thing announced about this production so far that sounds like a good idea.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#8
Posted: 9/24/10 at 7:12am
Well i had zero intrest in this show before, and now its even lower
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#8
Posted: 9/24/10 at 11:53am
What shall we go see SADM2?
The Palladium wont see me for a while now.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#9
Posted: 9/24/10 at 12:10pm
Michael Crawford, has been cast as The Wizard in Andrew Lloyd Webber's production of 'The Wizard of Oz'

London Palladium
Opens 1st March 2011.
Previews from 7th February.
First booking period to 17th Sep 2011

Michael Crawford said, “I didn’t hesitate at all when Andrew asked me to take on the role of the Wizard. Working with him and Tim on a brand new production of this timeless classic is so thrilling and I am already looking forward to starting rehearsals later in the year.”

Michael Crawford, who was the original Phantom, was last in the West End in Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical 'The Woman in White' in 2004. He's also well known as playing the hapless Frank Spencer in the popular 1970s British sitcom, 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em'.

He joins previously mentioned Winner of BBC’s reality show Over The Rainbow Danielle Hope as 'Dorothy'. Sophie Evans, who came second to Danielle Hope in the reality show, will play the role on Tuesdays from 8 March and also on the weeks that Danielle Hope is on holiday 2 May, 5 September & 12 September 2011.

'The Wizard of Oz' has music and lyrics by Harold Arlen and E Y Harburg, with additional music and lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice .

It is directed by Jeremy Sams, choreography by Arlene Phillips, designed by Rob Jones. produced by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Bill Kenwright.

The London Palladium will be transformed into the mythical Emerald City with special effects and scenery to re-tell the real story of Oz.Just one aspect of the elaborate stage design for The Wizard of Oz will be a restoration of the legendary revolving stage.

Click your heels together and join Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Dorothy and her little dog Toto, as they journey through the magical land, helped and hindered by the Witches of Oz, to meet the Wizard and obtain their heart’s desires. Songs include: Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Follow the Yellow Brick Road, If I Only Had a Heart and We’re Off To See The Wizard
pinkyboy Profile Photopinkyboy Profile Photo
pinkyboy
Stand-by
Stand-by
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#10
Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:02pm
I'm actually quite excited for this, If ALW can make it work on stage, it will be amazing.

I still wish Lauren had won though, if anyone watched over the rainbow, she was amazing.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#11
Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:05pm
I bet this means most of the new songs will be aimed at him AND i wouldn't be surprised if we now got an introduction to the Wizard at the start of the show- people aint gonna pay that money to see him just in the last 20mins!!
pinkyboy
Stand-by
Stand-by
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#12
Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:19pm
I doubt it, It just wont be wizard of oz. They need to stick closely to the film or book, if they change it too much, it won't be successful.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#13
Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:28pm
Can't we see the show (and Michael) before we bash?
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#14
Posted: 9/24/10 at 1:58pm
Nawwww, half the fun for some is bashing before much is known.

One thing I have seen nothing of is--who is, or who will be, the director?

A lot will depend on how well the show is directed. If ALW has all the say, I have my doubts about how good this show will be. Crawford, I believe, also works better with a strong director, somebody like Hal Prince back in the day, who listened to his input but told him when he was off-base.

EDIT: I was just told that the creative team will be Jeremy Sams, Arlene Phillips as Choreographer, and Robert Jones Designer.
Updated On: 9/24/10 at 01:58 PM
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#15
Posted: 9/24/10 at 2:18pm
I bet this means most of the new songs will be aimed at him AND i wouldn't be surprised if we now got an introduction to the Wizard at the start of the show- people aint gonna pay that money to see him just in the last 20mins!!

And how much stage time did he get as the Phantom? Granted, we heard his pre-recorded voice quite a few times, but how long was he actually on stage?
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#16
Posted: 9/24/10 at 2:26pm
Oh how lucky for the cast...
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#17
Posted: 9/24/10 at 4:40pm

Firstly great thread headline by Mark, great imagination.

I agree with Pinkboy I wanted Lauren to win the BBC.

I didn't have much inclination to see this show, but would of seen as I do most shows, but my hopes I raised when Tim Rice got involved in penning some songs, one of the best word-smith in musical theater.

Now Michael Crawford is involved, when of the best ever actors to come out of Britain, this will no doubt give the show more vigour.

Are we going through the same shameful malice towards this show, like we did with Love Never Dies, because Andrew Lloyd Webber is involved?
Updated On: 9/24/10 at 04:40 PM
pinkyboy
Stand-by
Stand-by
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#19
Posted: 9/25/10 at 4:42am
Wait a sec, I wasn't around when phantom started, but its one of the most famous musicals of all time, so surely he cant be that bad
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#20
Posted: 9/25/10 at 5:21am
I am old enough to have been there at the beginning! His Phantom is still the best I have ever seen. There's nothing wrong with him as a performer
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#18
Posted: 9/25/10 at 9:32am
Speaking to Welsh Bob, who told me that the Phantom is a very hard role to sing, one of the most vocally demanding roles in the West End.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#19
Posted: 9/25/10 at 11:35am
Michael Crawford has never failed to deliver fantastic performances every time I've seen him, which is quite a few - Billy, Barnum, Phantom, EFX in Las Vegas, The Woman In White, his Royal Festival Hall concert performance was also excellent. I'm glad I already have good seats for The Wizard Of Oz now that he's been announced.
DefyGravity4 Profile PhotoDefyGravity4 Profile Photo
DefyGravity4
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#20
Posted: 9/25/10 at 12:54pm
Am much as I love The Wizard of Oz, I haven't really been interested in this since Lauren lost. Danielle's OK but Lauren would have had so much more stage presence. Most of the people who voted probably won't ever see this on stage and won't have really knew what it takes to make a good show, they were probably just looking for a show to fill the time until X-Factor.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#23
Posted: 9/26/10 at 6:27pm
Hannah Waddingham is the Wicked Witch!!!!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Phan-tastic Wizard?#24
Posted: 9/26/10 at 6:31pm
Thats been know for some time now.
Rob Brydon from Gavin and Stacy is in negotiations.