Page: 1

The Greatest Stage Actor Of All Time -You Choose!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This could be interesting!
Updated On: 9/22/10 at 10:14 PM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't agree with this at all. I think Angela Lansbury is the greatest stage actor of all time.
DeathStar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Contemptable and pathetic. Its just another meaningless piece of list making for the sake of list making. The idea this this is the best ever - although theatre has been about since the dawn of time, the childish, thick "experts" who nominated the shortlist couldnt think of anyone born before 1902. So its the best ever, as long as they come from the last century. Surely there's better things we can do with our collective time, like trying to secure a solid financial future for our industry. Or staging more interesting productions. Or even just shooting ourselves!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The greatest in living memory is surely the only possible discussion, but even then, based on what criteria?

How do we measure a classic tragedician with an electric musical theatre performer?

A little trite, I think.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I agree it's impossible to compare. It's going to be a minority of voters who saw Gielgud, Richardson and Scofield in their heydays. And it's also far too general a question - great actors and great stars are often different (and this list seems to have a lot of the latter). There are actors with no particular star quality who I love and would jump at the chance to see before Vanessa Redgrave or Maggie Smith, but I don't know if I'd say they are better.

If I had to pick from the ones of those that I've seen, I'd choose McKellen. He's someone that can combine being a great actor and a great star - he was very much the star of Waiting for Godot, and yet he was utterly, almost eerily, authentic and convincing in the role.