Page: 1

Beheadings at the National

mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#1
Posted: 9/1/10 at 2:24pm
Sat through the dreary Danton's Death the other night and, like everyone else, emerged with only one thought. How the hell did they cut off four heads in quick succession with the actors facing the sudience and the heads actually being severed (apparently) and plopping into the basket? I was in the front row and watching closely but I have no idea how it was done. Anyone know?
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#2
Posted: 9/1/10 at 2:30pm
No, but I am still in bewhilderment as to how they did half the 'bloody' things in 'Theatre Of Blood' a few seasons back- amazing!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#2
Posted: 9/1/10 at 2:41pm
I thought this thread meant that Hytner had been sacked.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Beheadings at the National#3
Posted: 9/1/10 at 3:01pm
Wish I'd booked an aisle seat 'cos everything I'm reading suggests I'd be better off turning up five minutes before the end.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Beheadings at the National#4
Posted: 9/1/10 at 5:23pm
Its not dreary! Its a good production of a umm heavy play. Did you care for The Prince of Homburg? I guess political theatre is about as popular as actual politics for most people Beheadings at the National

But yes I too wondered how they achieved the executions but do not want to know. Some tricks are best unknown.
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#5
Posted: 9/2/10 at 3:54am
I loved the Prince of Homburg - a far superior play being given a far superior production at the Donmar. You may call Danton's Death heavy - I prefer dreary. Is there a single line in the piece that is not exposition and/or pontification?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#6
Posted: 9/2/10 at 6:21pm
I loved Danton's Death, but I'm biased. Favourite period in history? Check! Oram on design? Check! Cork on sound? Check! Austin on lighting? Well, no, but Constable is an acceptable alternative. Toby Stephens impersonating Eddie Izzard? Not what I usually look for in a play, but why not! I expected it to be among the worst things I've ever seen, and was pleasantly surprised when it... well, wasn't. XD

As for the trick, I don't know if you've ever seen The Prestige? My current theory is that they did the trick here the same way they did the big trick in that movie. Beheadings at the National
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Beheadings at the National#7
Posted: 9/2/10 at 7:13pm
I did love the lighting a bit too much so maybe that shows where my attention was at some moments. I think its a good production but only really got my attention during the Robespierre scenes. Well and that finale.

Now Homburg was another matter. Thrilling stuff. Although I found myself agreeing with the Elector which is a bit worrying....
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#8
Posted: 9/3/10 at 4:38am
mrkringas, I know what you mean about the Elector but I chalked it up to the magnetism and charm of Ian McDiarmid which somewhat tipped the balance.

What did you think of the "revised" ending?
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Beheadings at the National#9
Posted: 9/3/10 at 6:56am
I found the revised ending quite satisfying. Admit I had to go read the original text to compare as its been a while since I read the play at school!

If anything it made it all the more effective.
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beheadings at the National#10
Posted: 9/3/10 at 2:42pm
I agree.