Autumn Spring Awakening For Newcastle

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Autumn Spring Awakening For Newcastle#1
Posted: 8/26/10 at 8:35am
'Spring Awakening'
This award-winning 2006 musical seen off Broadway, Broadway and then last year in London is based on Frank Wedekind’s edgy, long-banned, 1891 play, about burgeoning teenage sexuality with music by Duncan Sheik and book and lyrics by Steven Slater.

Now that the performing rights for 'Spring Awakening' are available, the forthcoming show at the People’s Theatre, Newcastle is presenting a group of students with a good performance opportunity in Tyne and Wear.
It is the first time the piece has been staged in the north-east and one of the first productions outside London and New York.

Founded in 2007 by Ben Hunt who is currently reading Drama and Theatre Studies at the University of Sunderland, Nice Swan Theatre Company (NSTC) is a non-profit, student-based production company. It offers a dramatic platform to young people and gives them the chance to be part of ‘cutting edge’ productions - such as Rent last year - on their home patch.

A US exchange student with a strong musical background helped NSTC by acting as casting director for Spring Awakening which is currently in rehearsal.

NSTC also hosts drama-focused workshops at local Secondary Schools, to encourage youngsters to get involved in drama and performance. The overall aim of the company is to create opportunities for young people and to encourage them to develop their talents and interest in drama, via workshops and productions. And it clearly does its best (literally) to act this out with its unusual ‘by students for students’ approach.

Spring Awakening runs from September 28 to October 2 at the People’s Theatre, Newcastle.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Spring Awakening Watch!#2
Posted: 8/26/10 at 5:05pm
There's also a production next month at The Egg @ Bath Theatre Royal.

Sounds fabulous, tickets £10.50.
x_stephen_x
Swing
Swing
Spring Awakening Watch!#2
Posted: 8/30/10 at 5:20pm
And on the 29th-30th October at the Granville Theatre in Ramsgate :)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Spring Awakening Watch!#3
Posted: 8/30/10 at 6:13pm
The RSAMD just did SA at the Edinburgh Fringe and it was fantastic! And there will be a professional production in Frankfurt from November to January. Great to see this utterly brilliant piece of musical theatre spreading its wings.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
cages/wings?
Stand-by
Stand-by
Spring Awakening Watch!#4
Posted: 9/20/10 at 4:42pm
I was going to reply to this at the time but I was in Vietnam and had no idea what my password was... so, sorry for the big bump!

I was just going to say that I saw Nice Swan's production of Rent last year (and did a bit of follow spot) and it was pretty damn good. Thomas Whalley (Angel last year, Moritz this year) in particular is just amazing. I've also seen him as Thenadier and he literally stole the show. He's totally brilliant. Some of the cast of Rent were disappointing so I'm hoping they've improved for Spring Awakening. It would also be good to see some originality in terms of design - Rent was mainly a carbon copy, and the marketing for SA seems to be. We'll see. I'll be there next week (the People's is my home turf) so maybe I'll do a quick review.