Page: 1

Sondheim - What an Old Queen he has Became.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stephen Sondheim will be merrily rolled into the West End as part of a major celebration of his life.
The Donmar, which has staged several of the famed composer and lyricist’s works, will present concert versions of his musicals Merrily We Roll Along and Company at the Queen’s Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue to celebrate what Michael Grandage, the Donmar’s artistic director, called ‘the Donmar’s long association with Stephen Sondheim’.
He added: ‘It just seems the perfect way to celebrate a great man’s work.’
The concerts had been intended for the Donmar’s own space, but there’s more room at The Queen’s. Merrily, which Grandage directed at the Donmar ten years ago, will run at the Queen’s on Sunday, October 31, with a matinee and an evening performance.
Company, directed by Sam Mendes in 1995, will have its concert performance at the Queen’s on Sunday, November 7, again with an afternoon show and one at night.
Grandage told me the Donmar’s associate directors will direct the concerts, with many of the original cast members.
So Rob Ashford will direct Merrily and Julian Ovenden, Samantha Spiro and Daniel evans — the main leads — are returning for the concert shows. Anna Francolini will also be doing it, but other actors aren’t confirmed yet.
Jamie Lloyd will direct Company. Adrian Lester, who led the original cast as Bobby, will perform — as will Clive Rowe, Michael Simkins, Sophie Thompson and Ms Francolini. The late Sheila Gish was stunning as the lady who lunched in Company.
Grandage said: ‘It’s our job to honour Sheila by getting somebody brilliant in that role.’
Grandage told me artists at the concerts will have scripts and scores. ‘With one week’s rehearsal, they won’t be able to do all-singing and all-dancing staging.’ on September 16, Mendes and Grandage will discuss working with Sondheim; and the composer will talk a little about himself on October 11 — both events at the Donmar.
Tickets for the Queen’s shows go on sale on Monday. call the Delfont Mackintosh box office on 0844 482 5162.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1293267/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Lifes-Chesil-Beach-Carey.html#ixzz0tAIUzePH
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Umm, odd subject title.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
very odd!

Sondheim is having a good run of his shows being done at present...

Night Music - West End 2009/On Broadway now
Into The Woods - West End 2010
Company - Broadway 2008/Concert West End 2010/Rumoured Menier soon
Follies - West End revival expected 2011
Sweeney Todd - Broadway 2005/6. Chichester bound 2011
Funny Thing..Forum - West End Revival expected 2011 with Omid Dijalli
Sunday In The Park - West End 2006/Broadway 2007
Anyone Can Whistle - Broadway 2010
Sondheim on Sondheim - New show - Broadway 2010
Gypsy - Broadway 2008/9
West Side Story - Broadway - 2009 ongoing and West End 2009 and tour 2010

Good time if your a Sondheim fan...Especially when his shows are always thught as "uncommerical" - a lot of those shows have been successes!
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What's going to happen to the Les Mis performances on these dates?
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Will anyone miss LES MIS?
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nothing, Les Mis dosent do sundays.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Will anyone miss LES MIS?"

I laughed a lot at this. I've been watching the Donmar website for these to go on sale for months! Great to hear they'll be on sale Monday; does that include the discussion with Sam Mendes?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Monday? S***! It was meant to be 1st September! Ohhh, I'm going to be eating a lot of dry pasta this month... Sondheim - What an Old Queen he has Became.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Got my Merrily tickets = very happy Sondheim - What an Old Queen he has Became.