Page: 1

Sundays?

jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sundays?#1
Posted: 7/6/10 at 5:36am
Priscilla is dropping them, All the fun of the fair has.

Do people just not want to go to the theatre on sunday?
Are other Sunday shows selling well?
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sundays?#2
Posted: 7/6/10 at 6:59am
They don't seem to be. Maybe some are, I don't know, but I had no trouble getting a great seat for Waiting for Godot with McKellen/Stewart on a Sunday, quite a while after the booking had opened, when most of the other performances were sold out. Sunday performances at the National also seem to have rather better availability (I think that's the correct euphemism!) than on other days.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#2
Posted: 7/6/10 at 10:00am
I wish all shows would do Sunday matinees as they do in New York. Normally if I'm in London for a weekend I'm looking around frantically for a Fringe theatre that has something I fancy as they usually have Sunday shows. I think the problem is that people in the UK are not conditioned to having Sunday theatre and it may even be that some people don't even know that certain shows have Sunday performances. It will be a great shame if the attempt to move towards Sunday shows fails.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#3
Posted: 7/6/10 at 2:44pm
As you all know Sunday should be sacred, just think of all that shopping you can do.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#4
Posted: 7/6/10 at 3:09pm
CORRECTION:
'Priscilla' is NOT 'dropping them'. Its new cast contracts were for Sunday performances for the months June to September only, thats what they advertised and thats what they have performed.

'Hairspray' did great business on Sundays in its last 4 months.

'Jersey Boys' and 'The Lion King' continue very busy weekends with Sunday performances. The Sundays of 'The Lion King' have been selling 70/80% for the last 11 years.
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sundays?#5
Posted: 7/6/10 at 3:15pm
I think Bob is exactly right in saying that a lot of people just don't know that there are shows on Sunday, because there never really used to be many, and so don't even bother looking at them when they're booking.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#6
Posted: 7/6/10 at 3:28pm
70% of UK regional theatres open on Sundays for concerts etc and have done with increasing regularity for some decades now. The general public know they are open and these shows ell really well.
Kenwright's tour of 'Joseph' will be doing 2 Sunday shows from next year (new contracts) at almost every stop it takes in.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#7
Posted: 7/6/10 at 4:33pm
Even though a couple of show have had modest success on a Sunday, I remember from the first Sunday Hairspray did business on that day, it was straight on TKTS for 50% off and stayed that way, it has really been an out and out flop.

Perhaps the people who go to the theatre appreciate the people, who work in theatre are not professional slaves.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#8
Posted: 7/6/10 at 5:25pm
Actually POL I think most people who work in theatre are in favour of Sunday matinees. I have a few friends who are actors and they welcome doing Sunday afternoons and then having two nights a week off (Sunday and Monday).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sundays?#9
Posted: 7/7/10 at 9:14am
A lot depends on what their family situation is - if they have a partner and kids who don't work in the theatre, Sundays are (or were) the only significant time they have off together. But otherwise I agree that the two nights off a week would be very appealing.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#10
Posted: 7/7/10 at 10:53am
If I was lucky enough to be talented to be able to work on stage I would be happy to do three performances a day, seven days a week, but alas it aint going to happen.

If I was going to work on a Sunday in theatre, your day is already ruined with family and you cannot go out and have a Saturday night blow out anymore, I would prefer to do the matinee performance and then do a show a couple of hours later in the evening and therefore hope to have 2 days off in the week.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#11
Posted: 7/7/10 at 11:41am
Don't ever work in the theatre then!!!
POL you seem to forget (very often) that theatre work is 6 days a week not 5 days a week, 9 to 5, and for them to have 2 clear nights at home would for a majority of people be very welcome.
You really go on about this far too much and its only people who have worked in the theatre that will truly understand.
OK its still not to everyones taste I except, but I know very few who would say no to it plus the very welcome extra cash payment.
Also remember that they will also get the 'oh so precious' as you put it 'Bank Holidays' off with family.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#12
Posted: 7/7/10 at 11:42am
Legally Blonde do Sunday Matinees and it seems to be going well but they have Tuesdays off rather than Mondays.

I imagine Sunday Matinees will be phased into new and existing shows and it's up to the producers. I wonder if shows would ever do a double show on both Saturday and Sunday and have Monday/Tuesday off, doubt it as Public Transport isn't great at the weekend.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#13
Posted: 7/7/10 at 11:48am
People on here harp on about how it works so well in New York all the time.
Well yes it most certainly does, but even with full houses on Sunday they still are seasonal and Sundays are dropped by 80% of Broadway shows come October time.
There are many that never do them and there are many that do them 52 Sundays a year.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#14
Posted: 7/7/10 at 12:07pm
Actually Mama, most Broadways shows play on Sundays throughout the year. Usually Phantom is the only show that regularly takes Sunday off, and a few others might during the summer but switch back to the Tuesday-Sunday schedule the rest of the time. It's the Monday performaces that are seasonal.

Regardless, London is not New York and New York is not London so what works for one city may not always work in the other.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#15
Posted: 7/7/10 at 3:10pm
^ Exactly what I was going to say, the only time Broadway plays a Monday to Saturday schedule is in previews, other than that it is only Phantom that plays those day.

Point I was making, once you are at the theatre for the matinee, you might as well do the evening show, then hope to get 2 days off, just like Billy Elliot is doing on Broadway for the Summer.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#16
Posted: 7/8/10 at 4:53am
Whatever you say POL
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sundays?#17
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:55pm
Legally Blonde dropping Sunday shows from September 5th.