Page: 1

Celia Imrie does Hayfever, Catherine Tate goes to National, Strong cast trying out Bridget Jones, Anna Massey out of Deathtrap and Groff injured on Glee

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Catherine Tate who, if she can be bovvered, will star in the National Theatre’s production of Alan Ayckbourn’s 1980 play Season’s Greetings which will run in the Lyttelton auditorium from December, dates still being decided.
Marianne Elliott will direct the comedy about Belinda (Ms Tate) and her husband Neville, who have invited the family around for a Christmas knees-up.

Belinda falls for her sister’s boyfriend, her brother-inlaw tries to put on a puppet show and Uncle Harvey thinks there’s a burglar in the house.

Ms Tate, who has been in Doctor Who and her own TV series, performed previously at the National in The Way Of The World and The Prince’s Play

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1283839/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-If-pants-fit--Lily-Allen-tries-hand-Bridget-Jones-musical.html#ixzz0prGIeX8l

Lily Allen's embryonic score for the stage musical version of that well-known singleton Bridget Jones is being rehearsed with a cast who will first ‘test’ the show to see if it will work in the West End.
Allen and her frequent collaborator Greg Kurstin have been working with the novel’s author Helen Fielding on the score and lyrics for the musical based on the first book, Bridget Jones’s Diary.
Fielding told me recently how Julian Webber, an associate and close colleague of Stephen Daldry’s, ‘almost moved in’ to her home in Los Angeles to help plot and structure the show’s book.

‘It’s very different from writing a column, the book and the screenplays,’ Fielding told me when we met during the awards party season in LA.
Daldry, who directed both the film and award-winning stage hit Billy Elliot, will direct a workshop production of Bridget Jones which will be presented at a rehearsal studio in London in the next week or so.

He will again be working with Webber and choreographer Peter Darling, with whom he collaborated on Billy Elliot.

Allen, Kurstin and Fielding have written three or four songs which will be performed at the workshop, backed by Working Title which produced the film and the stage show of Billy Elliot.

The cast assembled for the Bridget Jones workshop aren’t necessarily those who will go on to be in the fully-fledged stage musical. Sheridan Smith will play the eponymous heroine, the role which made Renee Zellweger an international star.

Bertie Carvel and Julian Ovenden will play love rivals Mark Darcy and Daniel Cleaver, played in both movies by Colin Firth and Hugh Grant. Bridget’s parents will be performed by Marilyn Cutts and Billy Boyle, while other parts will be taken by Tiffany Graves, Cassidy Janson, Richard Frame and Julie Legrande.

A cast is testing the show, based on the book and film starring Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth, to see if it will work in the West End

Using the same formula they employed with Billy Elliot, the core creative team will use the workshop to see if the show has any future and, as someone involved told me, ‘to see if everybody l ikes each other and creatively can work together.
More from Baz Bamigboye... BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Glee golden boy Jonathan Groff suffers injury after shooting scenes for popular show 03/06/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face 03/06/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Jonas Brothers star Nick to make West End debut in Les Miserables 27/05/10 Baz Bamigboye reviews Sex And The City 2: Definitely bags of fun... but it does go on a bit 25/05/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Mick's boy James Jagger to meet Marilyn 20/05/10 Having her cake and eating it: Robin Hood's Lea Seydoux is the next big international actress 13/05/10 From Sherwood Forest to Bollywood! Russell Crowe fancies making a film in India 13/05/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Making a Fiennes fist of an anti-hero 06/05/10 VIEW FULL ARCHIVE
‘This is exactly what we did with Billy, which was to try to gauge what can and what can’t work. Essentially, it’s going to be an elaborate read-through with a bit of choreography from Peter.’

All being well and depending on everyone’s schedules, Bridget Jones’s Diary: The Musical will open in the West End either in the autumn of next year or in 2012.
One important decision to be made at the workshop is whether all of the score will be penned by Allen, Fielding and Kurstin or whether some existing numbers, like the R&B used in the films, will also be used.
Someone close to the show thought that the score would be ‘predominantly original’, but that’s all to be thrashed out.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1283839/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-If-pants-fit--Lily-Allen-tries-hand-Bridget-Jones-musical.html#ixzz0prGXJl25

Glee heart-throb Jonathan Groff discovered the dangerous side of singing on the top-rated television show.

The actor still has a 5in scar on his left arm inflicted during the staging of a stunning but energetic dance number for the final episode of Glee’s first season, which will be shown in the UK on Channel 4 and E4 later this month.

Groff rolled up his sleeve and showed me the injury that ran almost from his elbow to his shoulder.
Jonathan Groff with co-star Lea Michele performing Glee Live! In Concert in New York last month
‘I was singing the Queen song Bohemian Rhapsody, dancers were flying all over the place and a girl’s heel got stuck into me and drew blood,’ he told me before joking: ‘I think at that very moment of contact I reached my highest notes.
More...BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face
BAZ BAMIGBOYE: If the pants fit... Lily Allen tries her hand at a Bridget Jones musical

‘I was lucky, though. Some had bruises, there was a broken limb or two, others drew blood. It was like a scene from Gladiator,’ the 25-year-old added with a laugh, as we lunched at the West End fish and seafood restaurant J Sheekey.

More from Baz Bamigboye... BAZ BAMIGBOYE: If the pants fit... Lily Allen tries her hand at a Bridget Jones musical 03/06/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face 03/06/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Jonas Brothers star Nick to make West End debut in Les Miserables 27/05/10 Baz Bamigboye reviews Sex And The City 2: Definitely bags of fun... but it does go on a bit 25/05/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Mick's boy James Jagger to meet Marilyn 20/05/10 Having her cake and eating it: Robin Hood's Lea Seydoux is the next big international actress 13/05/10 From Sherwood Forest to Bollywood! Russell Crowe fancies making a film in India 13/05/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Making a Fiennes fist of an anti-hero 06/05/10 VIEW FULL ARCHIVE The actor took a liking to my mushy peas and I was happy to share this most British delicacy with him.

Groff joined Glee midway through the season as Jesse St James, a student from rival singing group Vocal Adrenaline. For a little while, St James dated the school singing club’s diva Rachel, played by Groff’s real-life best friend Lea Michele.

He was making a brief visit to London to make domestic arrangements for his six-month run opposite Simon Russell Beale, Claire Skinner and Terry Beaver in a revival of Ira Levin’s shrewd thriller Deathtrap, which has been reworked by director Matthew Warchus.

Anna Massey was to have been in it, but has had to withdraw for health reasons The play, marking Groff ’s West End debut, will begin performances at the Noel Coward Theatre, London, on August 21, with an official opening night on September 7.
He is well known in New York because of an awardwinning-performance in the Broadway run of the musical Spring Awakening, but Glee has made him a huge star.

During his trip to London, Groff queued for return tickets to see Beale and Fiona Shaw in the now legendary production of London Assurance at the National Theatre and visited him backstage.

He was struck by how Beale ran his dressing room as a thespian surgery of sorts, helping out co-stars with text and music for auditions.

The following morning Beale took his American colleague on a tour of London. ‘His advice was invaluble and I feel I’ve picked up a few of the tricks you need about living in London,’ Groff said.
One of them was to find an apartment a mere five-minute walk from the Noel Coward. Groff wants to fill it with his own nick-nacks plus he wants to get DVDs of the work his co-stars have done, particularly Skinner’s hit BBC sitcom Outnumbered.
Deathtrap producers David Pugh and Dafyyd Rogers have even promised to buy him an allregions DVD player. Groff said that although his friend Lea will be busy working on the second season of Glee, she has promised him she will carve out time to see him at the Noel Coward.

‘We see everything that the other has done,’ Groff declared. During his time in London he also wants to explore the possibility of singing in a concert or a charity show.
The box office for Ira Levin’s Deathtrap opens on Monday to the general public.

However, Daily Mail readers can book from now on 0844 482 5143. Tickets run from £19.50 to £49.50 with no booking fee.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1283824/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Peas-says-Glee-golden-boy-Jonathan-Groff.html#ixzz0prGulh36
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan would be a very good Bridget :) I'm very pleased by this... fingers crossed she can keep the role now! Would be a good one to follow Elle also :)
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel as Darcy is fantastic! And Sheridan as Bridget too :)
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II