Page: 1

Broadway 6 - West End 0

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#1
Posted: 5/4/10 at 9:23am
Within the next 12 months New York will have 5 new theatres opening and one, the Henry Miller-soon to be Sondheim- has just opened a few months back.
The owners of the Snapple Centre on Broadway and 50th have just announced that they are to open up another 2 mid town Manahttan locations.
One complex will have two 249 seat theaters and another with two 249 seat theaters and a studio stage seating 99.
Leases will be signed with the next two weeks and the first theatres will be open around October this year.
Thats six new theatres within 12 months.

London is still awaiting the promised West End version of A Sondheim Theatre and has just lost forever The Hippodrome and the Astoria!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#2
Posted: 5/4/10 at 10:49am
the London Hippodrome... so sad, really could've been such a nice theatre place I think ~
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#2
Posted: 5/4/10 at 11:00am
Think of the London Palladium and Victoria Palace mixed into one stunning theatre and thats what the Hippodrome looked like until the mid 60s.
I only saw it as The Talk Of The Town cabaret venue it was converted into for almost 20 years and it was stunning evn with the few alterations thathad been done to accommodate the table seating and restaurant service.
Its criminal that the two richest men in the entertainment world couldn't get together, or even on their own, and get this theatre back to the ever growing audiences of London's West End.
Add Disney to that group of 'so called' theatre lovers and preservers!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#3
Posted: 5/4/10 at 11:08am
Right Mamma

Get a spade and some bricks, i will put together some nice outfits for us to wear and lets go and build a new theatre.....how hard can it be?
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#4
Posted: 5/4/10 at 11:12am
Well, the Americans don't seem to find it too hard do they!

Can i have wellies like Dame Shirley wore to Glastonbury -mine can have in diamonte 'MDF'!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#5
Posted: 5/4/10 at 11:17am
lolol im on it, im thinking Norma Desmond meets Bob the Builder
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#7
Posted: 5/4/10 at 11:32am
These new theatres are small fry off Broadway houses, not like the modern build Broadway houses (Henry Miller, Gershwin, Minskoff, Marquis and Henry Miller).

However I do agree London does lack 2-3 theatres in the the mid range size (1400-1800 seat) venues which are ideal for staging musicals, New York has about 14 theatres in this size range, where London has 4 (Aldelpi, Palace, Prince Edward & Victoria Palace), but London does have 5 mega-size theatres 2000+ (Drury Lane, Lyceum, Dominion, Victoria Palace and Palladium), which some might say they are to big.

London does not have a off Broadway type theatre scene, we just have the Domnar, Menier and Royal Court, London focuses more on
quality than quantity.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#8
Posted: 5/4/10 at 1:10pm
LMAO Mamma
Thats so your outfit for the building site
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#9
Posted: 5/4/10 at 1:46pm
Its a well edited picture
- your just out of shot with the tea trolly.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#10
Posted: 5/5/10 at 7:02am
Isn't stage size (even in musical houses) always an issue in London? The only theatres with stages comparable to Broadway musical houses are probably Her Majesty's, Drury Lane, Apollo Victoria, Adelphi and the Dominion. Am I right mama?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#11
Posted: 5/5/10 at 8:54am
Half way there doll. x
**Her Majesty's has a fairly normal size stage, equal to its seating capacity I suppose.
'Phantom Of The Opera' is by far its biggest ever production and it was one the first to use side flying for scenery on a major scale. Interestingly it is one of only 3 or 4 theatres in the UK that still has its Victoria trap doors and thunder run still intact. Some of this machinery has been dismantle for the run of 'Phantom' and must be replaced on the shows closing.
**The Theatre Royal Drury Lane is just gigantic in size, both front of house and the stage. It really is shown to its full size in 'Oliver!', one of the rare times it has been since 'Sweeney' used the entire stage and over half the auditorium for its amazing set. In the 70s and 80s when the theatre staged pretty average sized shows, the rear of the stage was used to build and paint sets for other incoming West End shows and also for the Royal Opera House.
**The Apollo Victoria was built as a super cine theatre and has absolutely no depth to its stage whatsoever. Given that in the hey day of its life as a cinema it had the widest screen in Europe it has an a mazing width. A number of productions that have played there have always had an extension to the stage towards the audience.
**The Adelphi is a good size stage and thats why it attracts medium to large size shows. The 1985 production of 'Me And My Girl' had such a lot of scenery it was impossible to cross the stage so an under stage walkway that had not been used in 40 years was opened for performers to cross from one side of the stage to the other, off set. 'Sunset Blvd' had the entire stage house modernized to accommodate its floating staircase set.
**The Dominion, again a huge theatre built as a cine variety house, is brilliantly wide but very shallow. It was Disney who spent a fortune on the new stage house extension to accommodate its production of 'Beauty And The Beast'.

The problems of no stage depth suffered by the Apollo Victoria and the Dominion are also a major problem at the London Palladium.

PS thanks for keeping me busy at 9am -jet lag is a serious problem for me here. Bed at 1am ish, awake at 4 or 5am and then sleeping 11am till 3pm almost daily.
Updated On: 5/5/10 at 08:54 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#12
Posted: 5/6/10 at 4:54am
POL, I'd hardly call these great new little theatres 'small fry' when they are in heavy demand from Broadway producers very keen to transfer their smaller Broadway product from On to Off.
'Avenue Q' and 'The 39 Steps' are two examples with more soon to follow, of a trend that will now constantly grow and grow. 'God Of Carnage' almost transfered to Off Broadway but they decided last minute just to sty open on Broadway a little longer plus the small theatre they wanted wasn't available for a timely transfer.
The new venues are very welcome by the people I talk to here.
TimesSquareRegular Profile PhotoTimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway 6 - West End 0#13
Posted: 5/6/10 at 8:17pm
The theatres at New World Stages, where Avenue Q and The 39 Steps are now playing, each seat 499, twice the amound of the newly announced Snapple theatres. The new theatres won't be tempting to producers considering a transfer to off-broadway.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)