Page: 1

Wicked gets snappy with fans

miriam2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Wicked gets snappy with fans#1
Posted: 4/1/10 at 7:02pm
Latest Theatre Talk is now up - Wicked's finally snapped over illegal audios and Hair's got some great ticket deals on.

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/article/THEATRE_TALK_WICKED_Comes_Down_Hard_On_Fanatical_Followers_20100401
Updated On: 4/1/10 at 07:02 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked gets snappy with fans#2
Posted: 4/1/10 at 7:09pm
I saw this post from Wicked and thought WHOA they must be getting really annoyed now. However, a load of responses were people moaning for a London cast album. Can't blame em to be honest.

Glad to see from your tweet that you enjoyed Hair too :)
miriam2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Wicked gets snappy with fans#2
Posted: 4/1/10 at 7:32pm
Yeah, but it rarely happens - hasn't with a load of other shows people are illegalling over. Must have been a lot of idiots posting on there. There's some very high-quality Legally Blonde footage on Youtube which I'm surprised is still up there!

Thanks, Mark. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did - but I think I wasn't in the right place for it before, but am now! You going soon?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked gets snappy with fans#3
Posted: 4/1/10 at 7:52pm
Im waiting for more news on the dayseat/student ticket front but hoping to go when I get back to London later in the month.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
Wicked gets snappy with fans#4
Posted: 4/2/10 at 5:43am
I know its illegal - and seriously, how stupid are people for posting the audios on the official Wicked Facebook page? - but c'mon lets think of it rationally, and for now exclude those who go see a show over and over again and record it every time.

People often spend a lot of money to see a show and if they loved it they walk out of the theatre at the end wanting to hear what they've just heard all over again. Not the cast album, which has had the audio digitally enhanced, songs missed out and most importantly - its very unlikely to have the same people singing on the cast album as those you've just seen.

Many people walking out of a theatre want a momento of what they've just seen, not other people doing it, not a 'perfect' rendition of it without the emotion of what you have actually seen. Its not just that London hasn't had a Wicked cast recording - if I go to see a show, I don't really care who was in the original cast, I want to re-listen to who I've just heard if I've really liked them.

So why not - and yes I'm sure there are legal issues with this, but why not - have the show's audio recorded (either with the speech as well or just with the songs) by the theatre itself over the sound desk or wherever it can be done - and sell it. I'd buy it, for a lot of shows that I've seen.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked gets snappy with fans#5
Posted: 4/2/10 at 7:02am
I would too - and it already happens with some pop acts, as well as the recent 'staged concert' tour of War of the Worlds.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked gets snappy with fans#6
Posted: 4/2/10 at 12:26pm
There are people who know that it is against the law to film or record or take pictures yet they do it anyways.

I was at a show this past wednesday at an off Broadway theatre complex and during the show there was someone sitting in the front row of this very small theatre taking pictures without a flash. As he was walking out one of the people who worked at the place was literally following him out the door to stop him to get him to delete the pictures. He even commented that he can follow the guy out the door to stop him and that he would have no trouble with that.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wicked gets snappy with fans#7
Posted: 4/2/10 at 12:31pm
I too think they should offer sound desk recordings, it surely wouldn't be too much bother (last time I read about it rights was the main issue as the cast would need a lot more pay according to current contracts I think). Surely they could arrange that a share of the new recording money to go to the cast or similar.
I think photography and filming is much worse than audio recording though, the number of people I see filming on their phones etc shocks me.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked gets snappy with fans#8
Posted: 4/2/10 at 2:29pm
There are two facts when it comes to cast recordings on either Broadway or West End. Those are that it is very expensive to make and let's face it in either country showtunes aren't the most popular genre of music out there. That is why recent musicals that have gone from Broadway to London or the other way around only have one cast recording out there. It is just too big a financial risk to make more then one.

But, if the fans are so into having a live recording, I wonder if it would be cheaper to do the cast recordings live during a performance the way that Woman in White did it in London or Movin' Out did it on Broadway. The producers wouldn't have to pay for the studio time, the actors time and the bands time. And, they still get a cast album out there.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wicked gets snappy with fans#9
Posted: 4/2/10 at 2:44pm
Wicked gets snappy with fans
'Moby Dick-A Whale Of A Tale' is a private sound desk recording made specially for Cameron Macintosh.
The production that ran at the Piccadilly Theatre in 1992 for just 13 weeks almost made Cameron a producer of the past & raked up too much debt to even consider a full cast recording being done.

The show built up a great cult following in its final weeks (tho not enough to keep it open) and then demand grew for a recording to be made. A few months after the show took its final dip Cameron announced that he would release on a double CD his own private recording and so what you have on those CDs is the full experience, audience reactions, mumbles, coughs and splutters- the lot!
The CD had the tag line 'Its Almost Like Being There' and it was. The best part is when you hear the audiences reaction to the spectacular 3D scene opening act 2.
It was released in a great double CD package that include a comprehensive booklet.

Legal sound desk recordings- It can be done!
Updated On: 4/2/10 at 02:44 PM