Page: 1

Whistle Down The Wind- Marmite Love It Or Hate It Thread!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GO....
Updated On: 3/9/10 at 05:33 AM
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I thought it was OK (not quite loving or hating it). I did like the concept CD when it came out but the production didn't match what was in my imagination....maybe I should have directed it!!! I like what Gale thingy did with JCS later though.

Would love to have seen what Hal Prince did with it.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am not a big fan of ALW shows but this is one of my favs of his shows. Love the score. I think the book needed more work though.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really like it, only seen the BK tours though, Glenn Carter and Tim Rodgers as The Man were both excellent.

However, a friend who like me has also seen the tour before and loved it said this time it was awful. Really weak cast, except Swallow, and Jonathan Ansell was far too boyish and weak in acting
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hated it, but it did allow me to catch up with my sleep
former sadm2 (wink)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A master-stroke from the creators to move WDTW to Lousiana, USA, especially that area is republican bible belt, I thought this really worked, where this story would not really work in the UK anymore, as we are not that god fearing anymore.

IMO the trade off between Swallow and The Man in 'Nature of the Beast' makes for brilliant theatre.

love Marmite, Love whistle Down The Wind.
Updated On: 3/9/10 at 09:07 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hate Marmite, Love Whistle Down The Wind
chernjam Profile Photochernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
was able to hear a recording of WDTW from Washington DC which had a more "rock" sound. I still wonder what would have happened had Hal Prince continued to work on the show (especially since the score changed very little till it's eventual London opening)

Have yet to ever see it live. It has some great songs but the score overall doesnt seem one of ALW's strongest.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was ok. Great sets and the Kiss is a Terrible Thing to Waste sequence was breathtaking. I like much of the score, but I think Unsettled Scores is the worst of the Lloyd Webber power ballads and sounds like three unrelated songs clumsily stitched together featuring a laundry list for lyrics.

There's a prayer for this
And a prayer for that
And a prayer for this and that and this and that
This
That
This
That
This
That
But there's still no prayer for me
*frowny face*

STOP WHINING AND SHUT UP, ALREADY! GOD!
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really like Whistle Down the Wind and it is one of the few film to musical adaptations that works well because of the change of location to Louisana, the score is brilliant and Jim Steinman was an inspired choice for the lyricist.

I also love Sunset Boulevard which despite its troubled history has a great story and songs.
RSrichie Profile PhotoRSrichie Profile Photo
RSrichie
Understudy
Understudy
Having seen it in DC & London I can say Hal Prince's version could've been amazing. The cast was perfection, Davis Gaines & Irene Malloy & rest of the cast couldn't have been better. The singing was exquisite. The show was darker (esp Wrestle W The Devil was frightening as it should be!) Cold was a fun honky tonk dance number. The main prob was that the big barn set had to keep revolving on & off which took a lot of time, they could've reworked some scene arranging & made scene changes quicker. I thought it was ludicrous & nearly unwatchable at the Aldwych in London (I saw it at the end of the run). Andrew letting Hal Prince go was a terminal mistake & the show may never get a chance to reach it's true potential. When you have the very best assembled & just say forget it, I'll never understsand.
RSrichie
Understudy
Understudy
In DC it was drak yet sweet & moving. The version os If Only worked much better before Andrew added the bridge for the concept CD. Andrew needs to trust that others know more than him about theatricality (ex Hal Prince knows more than him!) and allow them to do their jobs with their expertise, let others make decisions not control everything. Andrew is masterful with music but his judgement in lyricists, directors & book writers is dreadful. What could've been with many of his shows will never be realized. I am a huge fan and only wish for what we could've had!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The trouble is he will not allow anyone stronger than him as a collaborator.

Hal Prince was the key creator of Evita and Phantom on stage (just as Miss Saigon was saved by extensive re-writing by Nick Hytner).

So are there any production photos around of Washington? It's always interesting when an earlier version of a show appears to have more promise than the final show, (see also Moby Dick).
RSrichie
Understudy
Understudy
There are pictures of the DC production in the book 'Andrew Lloyd Webber: His Life and Works'
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOVE IT! Thought it was moving and whilst the book could have done with a little bit more work it was one of ALW best in my opinion! I too saw Glen Carter as the man and he was fantastic in this role. Cna't wait to see it again!
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I love Whistle Down the Wind but have only seen the Kenwright Version. I'm not sure how it would have worked on stage but I much prefer Annie / Charlie Christmas to The Tribe.

No Matter What is one of my favourite musical songs ever but I HATE the Boyzone version, and the fact that it is the version always included on compilation CDs.
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Love It...one of the happiest companies i've worked with.
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'