Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#1
Posted: 2/10/10 at 1:09am
According to rumour anyway.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#2
Posted: 2/10/10 at 3:40am
All I will say is is that they stopped selling that performance about 3 weeks ago???

Glad i didnt have a ticket as it would be a strong case of deja vu for me as I had fab seats to the first preview of the original which was famously cancelled.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#2
Posted: 2/10/10 at 6:11am
Quelle surprise! Not!
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#3
Posted: 2/10/10 at 12:03pm
Wouldn't surprise me, I'm in London that weekend but didn't bother buying tickets for that reason, would hate to have to make a special trip down for another date!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
soundofnuns Profile Photosoundofnuns Profile Photo
soundofnuns
Understudy
Understudy
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#4
Posted: 2/10/10 at 2:51pm
in the b/vlogs they seemed to be very ontop of things :/

so when will the first preview be? i have tickets for the 20th and then i wont be in london for a few weeks so i really hope this isn't true.

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#5
Posted: 2/10/10 at 2:57pm
I've never really understood how they can make the decision to cancel a preview 2 weeks ahead of the date???
Shouldn't the director now take lead and say 'come guys its not working -we need to tighten up and fast“and then get the show on for the advertised date?

The original production cancelled its first preview at Her Majestys 45min before curtain, so it was obvious they had last minute problems that they took right up until the last minute.
Lloyd Webber has made much of the fact he didn't want to see this production go down the line of canceled previews the way most of his other shows have!

Bothered!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#6
Posted: 2/10/10 at 4:59pm
Mama, I'm sure you recall the fiasco surrounding previews of Aspects of Love- what chaos! I remember queues down to Piccadilly with new dates exchanges going on!

Talking to technicians on the show, several have said that the schedule is surprisingly tight, so it' won't be a shock if they struggle. I think safety might well be an issue on some of the staging which slows things down too.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#7
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:10pm
Dev! I was there! (no complaints cos I earned a years salary in a few days for that overtime! 4am in the morning on more than 2 or 3 nights!)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#8
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:21pm
Any jobs going for box office manager at the Prince of Wales theatre.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#9
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:25pm
Haha! The main problem at that time was that 'Aspects' was the Prince Of Wales theatres first show sold on a computer box office system. it was enhanced due to the fact that, at a guess, 40 to 50% of the advance sales had been done on the old 'paper and pencil' system! A number of cancelled or half performed performances sent us all for cover!
Nightmare On Coventry Street!

Updated On: 2/10/10 at 05:25 PM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#10
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:38pm
Didn't Sunset Boulevard have similar problems - I seem to remember reading that when the opening night was moved and tickets were reallocated to press and celebs, a tabloid newspaper tried to encourage all of the original ticket holders to turn up and demand to be seated...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#11
Posted: 2/10/10 at 5:53pm
As did 'Woman In White'
Even the latest 'Joseph' at the Adelphi!
Updated On: 2/10/10 at 05:53 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#12
Posted: 2/10/10 at 10:11pm
How has this sold? Is there much interest at all?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#13
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:18am
ALOT of interest. Sat Eve seats heavily booked till end of April already!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#14
Posted: 2/11/10 at 9:31am
decent seats are hard to come by until end of July, at weekends for sure.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#15
Posted: 2/11/10 at 10:18am
look on ticketmaster and other ticket agencies website and most days are available - saturdays quite sold out... certainly not a sell out really.

Seen a few posters now on railways but its hardly drumming up much interest and i'm no sure the artwork really sells it.

Interesting to see how this show will pan out... im undecided.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#16
Posted: 2/11/10 at 11:14am
''A LOT of interest. Sat Eve seats heavily booked till end of April already!''

If thats all it is it is doing dire business believe me!!!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#17
Posted: 2/11/10 at 11:49am
Im just going on the fact that I tried to get tickets for my parents on a Saturday evening last month and they said it would have to be for after April. Probably more so by now.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#18
Posted: 2/11/10 at 12:01pm
I have got a ticket, not to much bother to do though, however when I bought my tickets, it is nearly at the back of the stalls and sections of the theatre were sold out.

It has been reported that this show has a advance of £8m already and that was on 1st January, so this would of increased since then, which is not bad as the publicity machine has hardly started.

The original poster for the show, I find uninspiring and I am sure they will up the anti with this one.
wicked1492 Profile Photowicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#19
Posted: 2/11/10 at 12:12pm
"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#20
Posted: 2/11/10 at 12:56pm
ticket agent have bought as much as they can for Fri and Sats - so I would say that is half of the shows advance if not more. And those are technically not sold seats - many ticketing agencies who have bought seats are having big problems selling it.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#21
Posted: 2/11/10 at 1:21pm
On average around 40/45% of a house is sold to ticket agencies, some times a little more and this can be renegotiated.
When you find yourself getting pretty fab seats on the day of a big hit show it can very often be what the theatre box office has 'called back'. This is when the box office call all theatres and take back what they haven't sold in the previous months. Jo Public knows these as 'returns'.
Ive worked on sell out shows in box offices and the theatre box office has sold out and come call back time its revealed that the ticket agents have done hardly any sales and that means the left hand side of the house is full and then the right is sometimes as low as 1 3rd sold. Then begins reseating to even out the house , all in the last 2 or 3 hrs before curtain.
The advance for 'LND' is very healthy but it is far from the sell out they will claiam it is.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#22
Posted: 2/11/10 at 1:22pm
Updated On: 2/11/10 at 01:22 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#23
Posted: 2/11/10 at 3:01pm
I do wonder if the Lord spreads himself too thinly these days. And whether it would have been wiser offering a co-pro with Cameron. Was he approached? Was he not interested? You'd think it would be common courtesy since they'd worked together on the original. (Perhaps sequel rights will be written into future contracts)

When Phantom I opened, ALW was totally focused on that one show- now he's thinking about Dorothy (and her friends), watching over The Sound of Music, gearing up Cats, etc etc

It just makes me think things are being left to the last minute more than ever before.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies first preview cancelled?!#24
Posted: 2/11/10 at 4:10pm
devonian 100% agree with a co-pro with Cameron and asked the same question myself, why has he not been brought on board?

It is no coincidence The Lord's biggest shows Phantom and Cats, had this man at the helm,since the break after Phantom with Cameron, The Lords shows have gone down hill, with the producing especially being awful (5 flops).

I have the greatest respect for Cameron Mackintosh, not just a great theatre producer, but has a great theatre eye, to know what makes a show and makes it tick and gives another dimension to his production with his experienced input.