Page: 1

Kiera withdraws from My Fair Lady, New Wicked cast, Hardy goes Mad (Max)

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Keira Knightley decides it wouldn't be so loverly after all
By Baz Bamigboye
Last updated at 10:40 PM on 14th January 2010
Comments (0) Add to My Stories Keira Knightley will not play Eliza Doolittle in the new movie version of My Fair Lady.

The Oscar-nominated actress, currently energising the London theatre scene with her stage debut in The Misanthrope at the Comedy Theatre, has withdrawn herself from consideration for the role created by Audrey Hepburn in the landmark film based on the Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe musical.
Over a period of two years, the 24-year-old star met producers Cameron Mackintosh and Duncan Kenworthy to discuss the possibility of playing the Covent Garden flower girl who becomes a Maycould fair lady after she meets Professor Henry Higgins.
My Fair Ladies: Keira is busy on stage Knightley while Carey Mulligan has been asked to meet director John Madden
Although strongly linked with the role (she had singing lessons and sang for Mackintosh), Keira was never officially offered the part. She is believed to have felt that the project was taking too long to get off the ground.
Several directors, including Joe Wright, who directed Keira in Pride And Prejudice and Atonement, and Danny Boyle, who won last year's best director Academy Award for Slumdog Millionaire, toyed with the idea of directing the picture, but have since declined.

More from Baz Bamigboye... A majestic opportunity as glory beckons for King Colin the Firth 14/01/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Car for Carey Mulligan! New British 'It-girl' and girlfriend of Shia LaBeouf is destined for big things in Hollywood 07/01/10 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Fresh bite of the Big Apple for Alan Bennett as his play heads for Broadway 31/12/09 Charlie Dimmock puts her darling buds on display for debut in Calendar Girls 31/12/09 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Gemma Arterton's journey from home to Hollywood and back again 18/12/09 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: John Simm joins Jude Law and David Tennant by taking on role of Hamlet 10/12/09 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Michelle Williams mulls over Marilyn Monroe movie part 03/12/09 BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Gurkha goddess Joanna becomes a red-hot momma 26/11/09 VIEW FULL ARCHIVE Now John Madden, who made Oscar triumph Shakespeare In Love and the forthcoming thriller The Debt, has signed on to make the film and has been busily building his team. Acclaimed choreographer Matthew Bourne will most likely create the dance sequences.
There had been rumours of an American actress such as Scarlett Johansson and Anne Hathaway being in the running to play Eliza, but the film-makers are insistent that the role goes to a British actress.
Among those now being asked to meet Madden is Carey Mulligan, nominated this week for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts' Orange Rising Star Award - which has a good lineup this year.
Other contenders in the category are: Twilight's Kristen Stewart, Jesse Eisenberg from Zombieland, former Skins star Nicholas Hoult (very good opposite Colin Firth in A Single Man) and Tahar Rahim, who is brilliant in the sublime prison drama A Prophet.
Carey's on a roll with the BBC Film An Education. She's up for a best actress Golden Globe in Beverly Hills on Sunday and well garner an Oscar nomination. The list of other actresses being considered includes Gemma Arterton and Emily Blunt.
Filming on My Fair Lady is expected to begin on locations in London later in the year.

Meanwhile, Keira will shoot two new movies after her theatre run ends in March. In the first, she will appear with Christoph Waltz and Michael Fassbender ( portraying Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung), in The Talking Cure, directed by David Cronenberg.
The film, based on Christopher Hampton's play, follows Freud and Jung's psychonalysis of a young woman (Keira) who has suffered physical violence at the hands of her father.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1243345/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Keira-Knightley-decides-wouldnt-loverly-all.html#ixzz0cezloucr

Rachel Tucker, who begins rehearsals in early March for the role of green witch Elphaba in the musical Wicked. Ms Tucker will take over the role at the Apollo Theatre, Victoria, from March 29.

Louise Dearman will be the new Glinda, the supposedly 'good' witch, on that date, too. Rachel is one of the stars of the BBC Friday Show in Northern Ireland.

And yes, she was one of the contestants on the TV programme I'll Do Anything.
Wicked (not one of my favourite shows) has become a box-office powerhouse in Victoria, and I must say I'd rather sit through that again than the toxic blancmange called Legally Blonde, which brings the West End to a new low.
Many critics liked Legally Blonde, which makes me wonder what kind of pills they were popping the nights they were at the Savoy.
As I mentioned last week, Sheridan Smith and Peter Davison helped me through the pain of watching.

I have a 100 bet with the West End Whingers website that Legally Blonde won't be here in a year. My fear is that they might win.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1243345/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Keira-Knightley-decides-wouldnt-loverly-all.html#ixzz0ceztfjTX

Tom Hardy, who will star in Fury Road, aka Mad Max 4.

The film is a prequel to 1979's Mad Max, and Hardy will star as the character created by Mel Gibson. Shooting starts on locations in Australia in March and other stars Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult (he made a big impact in Hollywood in A Single Man) are preparing for a long shoot that will take till the end of the year.

While Fury Road is well into pre-production, Hardy is about to head to Chicago to star in the world premiere of a new play by Brett C. Leonard called The Long Red Road.

The drama will be directed by Hardy's old friend Philip Seymour Hoffman and will begin performances at Chicago's Goodman Theatre on February 13.

Hardy was named best actor by the British Independent Film Awards for his noholdsbarred performance in Bronson.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1243345/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Keira-Knightley-decides-wouldnt-loverly-all.html#ixzz0cezyYvxf
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My first choice for My Fair Lady would still be Anna Friel. I wonder if TPTB have already considered (and discounted) her?
Seen some shows in my time....
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Think it if very fair to say that the Daily Mail is very cold towards Legally Blonde!!!
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gemma Arteton would be wonderful in the project as would Emily Blunt. Both would be different and the obvious question is can they sing. I have a neaky suspicion that this film may go the way that the Les Mis film has and just not surface.

Rachel Tucker as Elphaba... i liked her but is she a bit old for the part? Louise Dearman will be good as G(a)linda :)
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now Kiera is out of the project I have no interest in it at all. I also dont think its a needed remake, who exactly is the audience, its not a young persons musical, and the older generation on the whole love the original.

He should focus on Les Mis and Miss Saigon movies
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why would anyone even consider remaking MY FAIR LADY? Totally Unnecessary.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, why should anyone bother doing anything that's already been done? Let's not revive it onstage anymore either. It's already been done! Art should never be allowed to expand, grow, thrive, or improve! Boo to movie remakes!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hush the pair of you... and Mamma stop trying to wind the situation! :p x
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why are people so neagtive about a show thats getting great reviews and makes people feel good?
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While I agree with Weez on the whole, especially in theatre, film remakes just dont seem to work as well. I think theres also a magic and nostalger with movies as they can always be revisited, theatre is a one off.

My main thought with this is the business sense, Im not sure what market they are going for, and what market they will get
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
They should leave My Fair Lady alone. I can't see this been a big box office winner anyway.

And does Baz not think that instead of making out that every other members of the UK press were wrong about LB that maybe it was just the daily mail what missed the point?
former sadm2 (wink)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They should remake My Fair Lady for a new generation of cinema audience, today the picture is more sharper and sound has came on leaps and bounds, also cinema going experience is a lot more comfortable with multi-plex screens.
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I just dont think mainstream audiences will care

My Fair Lady is seen as one of those 'old musicals' by non theatre goers so they will avoid. After the mess that was Nine they need to think carefully about what will play mainstream
former sadm2 (wink)
lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Kiera was never in the the running. Anna Friel is also a no go.
They are going younger. Higgins is also going to surprise!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There will be about as much interest in a new movie of MFL as there would be in a new movie version of OKLAHOMA! Some films are crying out for a remake or new approach, this isn't one of them. Being cast in this would be like career poison.
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was thinking (now don't all of you bite my head off because it will probably never happen ever... ever!) but i really think if Lacey Turner could be an excellent Eliza given half the chance. If she can't sing i say the play will be more than fine. I might be out here on my own... but i think she'd be awesome!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i really like the idea of lacey turner, but she's not BIG enough top sell this film to anyone tbh. and can you imagine the reviews...Eastenders: The Musical...Slating the Slater! just bad times!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
lotiloti Profile Photolotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
You should be thinking of an education!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kiera withdraws from My Fair Lady, New Wicked cast, Hardy goes Mad (Max)

Kiera withdraws from My Fair Lady, New Wicked cast, Hardy goes Mad (Max) i was hoping for this!! love her!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree Lacey Turner wouldn't sell it... but i think she could do it really well.