Day Tickets

sarbear2 Profile Photosarbear2 Profile Photo
sarbear2
Swing
Swing
Day Tickets#1
Posted: 1/13/10 at 1:12pm
Hi all,

I'm coming to London at the end of February and I was wondering what the availability of day tickets was like for some shows, namely Priscilla, The Misanthrope, and The Habit of Art (which I know is sold out but the National does let you queue for them). I know Godot will have and I've come to terms with paying full price for Love Never Dies.

Thanks!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Day Tickets#2
Posted: 1/13/10 at 2:34pm
Waiting for Godot will have 11 dayseats in the front row of the stalls.

Priscilla doesn't do day tickets, though has been avaliable for 45 on TKTS. The 25 upper circle seats are also worth considering, you can see 99% of the show. Whatever you do don't sit in the gallery!

Misanthorpe does standing tickets on the day of performance released when box office opens. There are 20 available in the Gallery at 10 each and 15 available in the upper circle at 15 each. Should be easy to get but ouch for the view!

Habit of Art does 10 day tickets. Im pretty sure they are in the slips of the circle. I don't know what time you should start lining up but id think not too late.
sarbear2
Swing
Swing
Day Tickets#2
Posted: 1/13/10 at 3:30pm
How early would you recommend lining up (if you happen to know)? My rushing experience comes from New York, where I've had surprisingly easy experiences most of the time and then the truly heinous (4 a.m. for Next to Normal, 5 a.m. for Spring Awakening, 4 hours in the freezing rain for A Steady Rain)... It'll only be my second time in London and I've never done day tickets before.

Also, are the day seats for The Misanthrope REALLY that bad? Seats in the balcony are the cheapest and I'm wondering if the extra 10 pounds will give me a better view.
Updated On: 1/13/10 at 03:30 PM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Day Tickets#3
Posted: 1/13/10 at 4:17pm
I really wouldn't know about what time for the national theatre day seats. If it is through the week (and not in half term week 15-20th Feb) then I should think 8am would be more than sufficient, although someone else probably has a better idea than me on this one.

The Comedy (for Misanthorpe) is one of those really bad theatres for sight lines as there are 4 levels and Pillars on all levels except the balcony, and they still charge loads for the restricted view seats. I sat in the back row (clear view) of the upper circle for Sunset and it was an ok view but quite high. That said I only paid 5 for it in previews whereas Misanthorpe is charging 40 for it!

If you want cheap seats then the 20 gallery tickets seem alot better than standing even further back for 10 less (it is VERY high! I wouldn't wish standing there on anyone!). The producers knew this show would sell very well and so priced accordingly!

Also you should check www.theatremonkey.com it will come in handy :)
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Day Tickets#4
Posted: 1/14/10 at 7:00am
I paid 20 for misanthrope balcony(I was in the middle of the row avoid the edges), it was high but could see all the action fine. They really crammed in the standers. I'd give it a miss though if you have other things you'd like to see.
sarbear2
Swing
Swing
Day Tickets#5
Posted: 1/15/10 at 2:50pm
Mark and jaqs, thanks for your help. I'm currently debating between Love Never Dies (it'll likely suck but it's non-negotiable because of Ramin), Priscilla, Godot, The Habit of Art, Enron, The Caretaker, War Horse and The Misanthrope. Serious dilemma here.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Day Tickets#6
Posted: 1/16/10 at 2:28pm
Did you see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in New York? I just saw it today and got a 10 day seat in the 2nd row of the stalls. They only have 6 per performance and they are best available from whats left. I got there about 9:30 and got them fine. Worth considering, it was very very good!