Page: 1

Only 6 Days to the end of the Sales, but

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Only 6 Days to the end of the Sales, but#1
Posted: 12/19/09 at 11:39am
more crucially only 6 more performances left of the excellent La Cage aux Folles, with the sublime Douglas Hodge and brilliant Denis Lawson, before it gets flattened to be shipped out to the Longacre Theatre, New York.

The deserved Olivier for Hodge, next the Tony?

I saw this again Thursday afternoon and let me tell you, I would be happy to sit through the final 15 performances and indulge myself with Hodge and Lawson.

OK another 5 shopping days until Christmas and this could be the perfect stocking filler?

Updated On: 12/28/09 at 11:39 AM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#2
Posted: 12/19/09 at 2:09pm
I saw it for the fifth and final time a week ago on the thursday matinee. Has got to be one of my all time favourite shows and im glad it had a really good run. I still have a leaflet from when it was a "Strictly Limited 12 week run" so it has done wonderful especially in this economy!

Great hopes for Hodge on the Tony! He has a very very good shot I believe.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#2
Posted: 12/19/09 at 5:44pm
Still havent seen this!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#3
Posted: 12/20/09 at 6:30pm
Sorry about the smaller top photo, but this thread would of been unmanageable with the last massive photo.

Princeton, I am shocked you have not seen this show yet, is this show not one you fancied? I plead and beg of you to go and see this.

I went back to see La Cage aux Folles to see the 2 original cast, when I watched Derek Hodges again for the first 5 minutes, I was thinking what is all the fuss about? Will New York really take to him, but let me make one thing clear on here, when Derek moved from Albin to ZaZa, he is the best ever actor I have see to grace a theatre stage and I mean ever.

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#4
Posted: 12/21/09 at 3:15am
No its never been one I really fancied, but with all the buzz and hype around it, and the fact ive never seen La Cage in any form I figured I should give it a go. Its a time and money thing really. Avoided it with Barrowman as no longer a fan of his, but would like to see Hodge. Times running out though!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#5
Posted: 12/28/09 at 5:23pm
Anyone planning on seeing any of the final 6 shows?
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#6
Posted: 12/28/09 at 6:39pm
I saw the matinee today... my last oppertunity! re:  Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.
This remains as my highlight of 2009 and I am very sad to see it go, have to say, even this far into the run, a few lines (singing and spoken) were forgotten or stumbled by MOST actors, espec Doug who did it ATLEAST 4 times, but his charm, incredible acting skill, and ability to pick it back up means he get's away with it!

BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT FUN SHOW, and seeing all three times i've seen it, it's been ALMOST sold out, I cant quite believe it's closing!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#7
Posted: 12/29/09 at 2:19am
Well saidCONAries, I agree with every word you have written ^ above.

I was hoping to see last night performance but at 6:30pm no tickets were available, so I went to see Arturo Brachetti - Change, it was very good and clever.

Stil;l like to see one more performance of La Cage before it closes on Saturday, going to take mum to see The Rat Pack on Wednesday matinee, not really my thing though.

Is anyone going to see any of the remaining La Cage performances?
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#8
Posted: 12/29/09 at 3:15am
I'm hoping to see it tomorrow - figured having seen this production several times with two different casts I owe it to myself to see Hodge & Lawson before it shuts up shop.

It's done wonderfully well, godspeed to it in NYC and fingers crossed for a few Tony nominations. re:  Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.
Seen some shows in my time....
algy Profile Photoalgy Profile Photo
algy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.#9
Posted: 12/29/09 at 6:44pm
Having wanted to see La Cage since seeing the Royal Variety slot last December, lack of someone to go with (and disinclination to see Graham Norton) meant I didn't go and see it til a ticket offer for the return of Hodge and Lawson dropped into my inbox.

Saw it on the 17th (on my own) and loved it so much I went back on the 22nd with the boyfriend. He was severely unenthusiastic about the trip, but actually loved it - says it's the best musical he's seen (he's more of a play person). Am now absolutely kicking myself for not seeing it sooner - although after seeing the sublime Doug Hodge and Denis Lawson I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job as Albin and Georges.

My only remaining issue is that they haven't recorded this. I'd kill for a recording - the original cast just doesn't move me in the same way. All I'm left with is the youtube of the RVP performance, and that's just not enough!
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
goodbye La Cage, you will be sorely missed!
Plus....Good Luck to Doug and Nick on the Great White Way!
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Agreed. Definitely one of the best things about 2009 :) Bye bye, La Cage, you will be missed a great deal.
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Really pleased I got to watch this wonderful show one last time and to finally see Doulglas Hodges' performance as Albin. I loved the vulnerability he exhibited and would have enjoyed seeing him opposite Phillip Quast. I thought PQ played quite a bombastic Georges compared to Dennis Lawson's more restrained approach and I can definitely see Kelsey Grammer approaching the role in a similar vein.

In terms of humour, Roger Allam just edges Hodge for me, but I thought Hodge brought out more of Albin's humanity.

Fingers crossed that the naysayers already carping about this being an unnecessary revival will be won over by the style, substance and subtlety on offer. re: re: re: re:  Only 5 Shopping Days until Christmas.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Subtlety"

That's a good word Tigg. I think that's what sets this production apart, and what made it for me.
algy Profile Photoalgy Profile Photo
algy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I've got my fingers crossed for the revival too Tiggosaurus. I know there's already been some negativity about the scaled down orchestra, and the number of Cagelles, but I hope people put aside their pre-conceptions and go in with an open mind. And if they do hopefully they'll love it. I think it really works in the intimate setting - and gives it a level of realism. My only real concern is Kelsey Grammar...
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"Subtlety"

Unfortunately I can't say I felt this always applied during JB's spell as Albin, but the role is in great hands with Douglas Hodge and I hope he will be warmly received in NYC.

Good luck to all the other talented performers and the entire cast & crew of La Cage as well, thanks for a wonderful production!
Updated On: 1/2/10 at 03:34 PM