Page: 1

Brief Encounter, could be the next hit in New York?

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brief Encounter has just opened in New York, with a rave from the New York Times, lavished with a critics pick by Brantley.

http://theater.nytimes.com/show/24304/Brief-Encounter/overview

The New York Post Elizabeth Vincettelli given a motley 4 stars out of 4.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/encounter_of_the_best_kind_pXuGqMeItFY9UOxI2VTwWJ

Does it seem that long it was on the Haymarket? This has to be destined for a Broadway theatre cinema? More fall me not seeing this, sounds a amazing theatre in the cinema experience?

luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved this on tour! Where did it open? I take it that it's Kneehigh's production? Fantastic - it really was.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It opened in san Francisco back in September and is now in New York in Brooklyn, same venue as where 'Blackwatch' played while in New York.
One of Londons recent best plays deserves a good run that hopefully may even get to the Great White Way itself
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I couldn't agree with you more Mama. Here's to it's run (:
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Brief Encounter, could be the next hit in New York?
re: Brief Encounter, could be the next hit in New York?
The run at St Ann's Warehouse has just been extended until mid January.
This has to transfer to Manhattan, after this reception.

The New York reviews:

“And there come those glorious moments in Brief Encounter, the British-based Kneehigh Theater’s captivating adaptation of the 1945 movie, when the propriety-stifled lovers at its center are allowed to swoon for real. And I mean swooooon, as in falling backward, boneless, into a bottomless chasm, to the sound of waves crashing on distant shores… Before we know it, Brief Encounter has become a surpassingly charming meditation on the forms we use for dealing with that dangerous phenomenon called love…All sorts of ingenious story-theater stagecraft is brought to bear on this exercise…and when Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 begins to fill the air, and projections of stormy seas and starry skies cover the back wall, we don’t feel at all like tittering. Ms. Rice and her splendid company have stealthily stripped us of the layers of irony that many of us now bring to a film like Brief Encounter. Don’t be ashamed if you, too, feel a bit like swooning.”
- Ben Brantley, The New York Times

“The most blissfully entertaining and inventive show in town…Whatever gifts come my way at Christmas, none could make me smile more broadly or longer than this beautifully realized charmer by Britain's Kneehigh Theatre Company”
- Joe Dziemianowicz, New York Daily News

“Its heart, charm and sense of wonder make it the perfect show for the holidays. And perhaps thereafter? It deserves a long life.”
- Elisabeth Vincentelli, New York Post

“To reveal any of Rice's delightful, eye-pleasing surprises would spoil much of the fun. Better to just go and let the considerable enchantment of her ingenuity wash over you”
- Michael Kuchwara, Associated Press

“This lovingly imaginative rumination on an iconic film is a joyous burst of theatrical inventiveness. Quite simply, I'm mad about the show.”
- Erik Haagensen, Backstage

“This wonderful adaptation of the classic film is enhanced…by its ingenious theatricality”
- Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter

luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Am I right in saying that the set is different? Looks nice though (: so happy to read receptions like that (: fingers crossed for a transfer!