Page: 1

$10 To Enter the USA - What the Buck is Going on!

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Plans are aloft to charge tourists $10 to enter the USA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1214093/U-S-set-charge-10-ESTA-fee-visa-waiver-UK-tourists.html

Regular theatre goers to New York will be affected by this news, already paying sky high money for theatre and hotels, not to mention high flight prices and restaurants, also hit by high charges to go into museums, e.g. The Met $20 admission, why is the tourist being hit by another fee?
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Tea Acts, Stamp Acts..."
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Funny you should say that Mama, I go to the states a lot for business and pleasure, and what always surprises me is New York (and New Jersey if counting Newark) are often the friendlier of welcomes. The Southern states less so!
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
"The main aim of the legislation is to provide funds to strengthen the image of the U.S. abroad and reverse the decline in overseas visitors which have dropped in recent years."

So they're going to charge us $10 more in order to make us want to go there? Okay then.

They're moaning that we aren't spending enough in the USA this year, so they're going to take away $10 of my spending money. Because that makes perfect sense.

Updated On: 10/5/09 at 04:03 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How much does it cost you guys to fly to the US? Every time I check on flights to the UK, the taxes are between $100-150 round-trip in addition to the fare (currently, the best fare for my London trip is Feb is around $750). New York is expensive for most Americans as well (and we have to pay a fee to enter Manhattan already) and London isn't exactly a bargain for us, either.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come on Matt, level with me, I know London is not cheap, but a American paying to see a London show, must feel like going to see a off off Broadway show?

Just done a random search on flights from London to New York on Thursday 10th to Sunday 13th December, on advantageous flights for theatre goers;

BA - 504
Virgin Atlantic - 417
American Airlines - 518
Continental - 422

Shows it is good to shop around, normally it is Continental the most expensive and American the cheapest. I have got flights as cheap as 277 when a sale is on.

I hate environmental taxes as well!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But Americans dont get charged to enter the UK.
Nobody does!
Updated On: 10/5/09 at 05:58 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do the Americans get charged departure tax like us?
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End shows are often cheaper than Broadway, it's true, but that's pretty much it. Hotels, food, retail and transportation are all more expensive than anything I paid in the US, even most of NYC.

I did get a great flight deal last year to London on British Airways, though they ripped me off on the hotel promotion by refusing to adhere to their own rules and regulations. I wrote twice to Customer Service as well as called and they refuse to respond (even though I have several emails from British Airways with case numbers attached stating I will receive a response from a manager). But until someone can find anything that clearly states hotel room "occupancy" is defined by the number of seats purchased on an airplane, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. I always thought hotel room occupancy was the number of occupants in the hotel room, but British Airways insisted I was wrong and told me I was a manipulative liar trying to swindle them (and that was the Supervisor!).
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree that the concept of charging what appears to be an "entry fee" into the country doesn't exactly create the best impression to prospective tourists. But it won't put me off going to the US! And, although Broadway ticket prices are higher than the West End on average, just about everything else in New York (and the US in general) is FAR cheaper than in the UK (eating out, public transport etc). In fact I can live in New York for a week on what it costs me to live in London for just a weekend.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to agree with Bob 100% here.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'In fact I can live in New York for a week on what it costs me to live in London for just a weekend.'

New York has a nasty habit of pickpocketing me, take away the pre-paid flight and hotel and some shows already pre-booked, I can easily get through 100 a day.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dont object to the $10 entry fee to the US as much as I object to the 80 - 100 passport charge for the privalage of leaving my own country!
DavidJ
Swing
Swing
They already charge if you enter the US via Canada. I paid $6 during the summer.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Princeton 2 great point you made, when you look at your point in black and white, kind of makes sense.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"take away the pre-paid flight and hotel and some shows already pre-booked, I can easily get through £100 a day."

Phantom, you obviously have more expensive tastes than me LOL. I don't even spend £100 a day in London and not even half that in New York. I guess I could spend a lot more if I ate at fancy restaurants etc - but generally I go for fast and cheap food! (I'm usually on the go too much to have time for a lengthy sit in a restaurant.- - though I do love my breakfast feast at the Carnegie Deli!)

Btw - why do you pre-pay for your hotel? I never do that - they just hold my credit card details as a deposit in case I don't show up and then I pay when I get there. You usually only have to pay up front if you book with an agency - which is why I always book direct with the hotel.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 10/6/09 at 01:07 PM
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"How much does it cost you guys to fly to the US?"

OK - so $10 isn't material to my budget.

But it's the principle of the issue I object to: no taxation without representation!

"I wrote twice to Customer Service as well as called"

British customer service in many sectors is crap and could be referred to more accurately as customer contempt.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
British customer service in many sectors is crap and could be referred to more accurately as customer contempt.

Its true. I work in a customer service related role, you customers just get in the way of us watching Homes Under the Hammer and Bargain Hunt.

Like Scripps said, it is the principle. For me, the annoyance is in what my money will be used for - to promote the US to other countries. I don't want the US promoted at me, I'm already there! And I really don't give a damn about how other countries see the US as a tourist destination.

My government is the one that's supposed to waste my money, not the US government.
Updated On: 10/6/09 at 06:01 PM
Reginald Tresilian Profile PhotoReginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Scripps, I'll happily pay your $10 next time you fly over.

Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You must be desperate for that lunch invitation I promised you Reggie!
Reginald Tresilian Profile PhotoReginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A boy's got to eat . . .