Those great moments in theatre? 'Timeless to you'

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What triggered me to right this thread is seeing Hairspray in the week and commenting on Brian Conley doing a great version of 'timeless to me'.

What I want to find out are those timeless moments that only can be recreated in theatre and cannot be recreated in any other media, this could happen in a musical which is my passion, but equally can happen in a play such as a rendition of a quotation from Shakespeare or a moment in a Alan Bennett play, what I am after to find out those moments that are timeless to you?

Here are a few examples I can think of;

Timeless to me - Hairspray
Swan Lake - Billy Elliot
Bring Him Home - Les Miserable
I am Who I Say I am - La Cage Aux Folles
Tell me Its not True - Blood Brothers
The King of Broadway - The Producers
Nature Of the Beast - Whistle Down the Wind

This list is timeless to me, what is timeless to you?

Updated On: 9/25/09 at 03:14 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just watching every second of 'Sweeney Todd' at Drury Lane nearly 30 years ago!
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The last few mins of phantom when he is on his own to when meg finds the mask ! timeless

Marys Final Flight- Mary poppins
Roses Turn-Gypsy
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Theres two for me:

Frau Bergmann dragging Wendla across the stage and handing her to the doctor. Hearing the confusion in her voice turning to pure terror as she is dragged away...

Oedipus at the National with Ralph Fiennes. The momment those 12ft metal doors dropped through the stage with the blinding white light and Oedipus standing there with a blood stained shirt and gauged eyes, scared, shocked and surprised me. From that moment to end. Was totally amazing.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"The Best of Times" in the Playhouse production of La Cage aux Folles. I love the way it's built up and by the end everyone (on stage and in the audience) is won over by the song. Albin's "mistake" at the end of the number could easily seem ridiculous and contrived, but when this number is done right it makes perfect sense.

Two moments in A View from the Bridge at the Duke of York's: Marco lifting the chair at the end of act one - again it could so easily seem ridiculous, but it was incredibly effective and chilling. Also, Eddie making the phone call in the second act - sealing his fate, so to speak. And a few months later at the same theatre there were several moments in Arcadia that are difficult to describe effectively, but the final scene (with the shadows on the wall) was one of them.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just love how patina riffs on 'hollywood' during fabulous babay reprise iin sister act

hol-y-wo-od
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'love that day o'
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The minute the interval lights came up for 'Too Close To The Sun'- that was a great moment for me!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and i'm guessing the worst moment was when the house lights went down for Act1...i'd say Act2 but i'm gonna hazard a guess that you left at the interval?
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Frau Bergmann dragging Wendla across the stage and handing her to the doctor. Hearing the confusion in her voice turning to pure terror as she is dragged away...
I really don't think that would have worked as well on TV. In the theatre you can actually hear her emotions, it seems less like acting to me than TV does.
Timeless to me is a great example. I have seen Hairspray twice with different Ednas and Wilburs and the song and bit at the end were a real highlight when it is a song I often skip on the recording.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
War Horse, when Joey turns from awkward foal to full-grown horse. Jesus, just THINKING about it has me welling up.

I mean, most moments I've loved and revisit in my memory could be rendered on film or TV and, with the right cast and creative team, be just as chilling or thrilling, but the beauty of War Horse lies 100% in the theatricality of it. You couldn't put those puppets on a TV and have the same "I have no doubt in my mind that that is anything but a genuine horse" transformation going on in your mind, and you couldn't watch a real horse on TV and feel the same "holy SHIT, magic *is* real!" emotions pounding your chest.

Well, maybe if I thought about it I could come up with some more unforgettable theatre moments that could NEVER work as well in any other medium, but I'd have to think about those, whereas War Horse is just so wonderful that it's already right there in the forefront of my brain. Night! ^_^
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And anyone who left during the interval of Too Close to the Sun missed a treat. Sure, the first half was nothing but terrible, but it's like they realised they couldn't do anything to fix it, so went all out on the second half, which was a comic joy to behold! I've laughed a lot at the theatre this year, and Ernie was a big part of that. :)
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The moment the older Franklin Shepherd passed his jacket to the younger Franklin Shepherd and, as he took hold of it, the hands on the clock on the wall behind them started to go backwards...

Merrily We Roll Along at the Donmar Warehouse.

(you won't see this in other productions as the scene has been cut from the official script)
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The fall of autumn leaves after 'Beautiful' in the Menier's 'Sunday in the Park with George'

Barbara's screamed "I'm in charge now!" at the end of Act 2 of 'August: Osage County'.

'Sit down you're rockin' the boat' from the Donmar production of Guys and Dolls. A fantastic new arrangement and wonderful choreography - it was just joy on stage!

Too many moments from Brief Encounter to list!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
WARNING: There may be spoilers ahead - sort of!

So many memories; the oldest - seeing Javert's suicide in Les Miserables and being blown away by the shock and sheer theatricality of it.

More recently: the moment I realised what the plot twist was in Next To Normal and the way it made me re-interpret everything which had gone before.

Also this year, being at the very first performance of Priscilla in London and experiencing the singularly most amazing and enthusiastic audience response I've ever been a part of in all my years of theatre-going was something I will never, ever forget.

Seen some shows in my time....
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Towards the end of Three Lives Of Lucy Cabrol where Simon McBurney starts climbing across the back wall of the stage...

andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
The choruses of 'The Old Red Hills of Home' at the opening and close of Parade at the Donmar were real 'hair on back of neck' moments for me. It was the first time id been to the venue, and the way that song was performed was just superb
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When Cassie turns in the music and the mirror and she's just everywhere lol. Such a simple technique that will forever be remembered.

I agree about that bit in Spring Awakening where she's dragged across the stage.

For me personally (might be for no one else) it was when Joanna Riding was playing Eliza and she walked in in the dress for the ball towards the end of act 1. It was really moving and a fair few people were crying around me... she had that part down!

Role of a lifetime from BARE... when it's sung well, done right and cast spot on this bit of the show is heartbreaking. The desperation and confusion of coming out all wrapped up in one song. Infact BARE itself for anyone who's struggled to come out lol.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Bare' is a CD I listen too very often and its a wonderful piece.
Bring that here any day before 'Next To Normal' in my books.
Updated On: 9/29/09 at 05:35 AM
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love BARE... always have and since doing the show will probably always be my favourite role re: Those great moments in theatre? 'Timeless to you' I miss uni.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Goggs..turn on your PM's!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As many of you know I have issues with Wicked, mainly because th story is not very coherent, but the staging, lighting and direction are very good.

I would say defying gravity is one of those great theatre moments, love seeing this scene.

There must be other great theatre moments out there, as would not be worth you guys following theatre?
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The green lighting in ONE SHORT DAY in WICKED

The ceiling dance, and her final flight in MARY POPPINS

All the set changes in SISTER ACT

Rowan Atkinson doing REVIEWING THE SITUATION

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY in WE WILL ROCK YOU - when the lights go absolutely ballistic!

BE OUR GUEST and the TRANSFORMATION from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in London

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
charlieoflondon Profile Photocharlieoflondon Profile Photo
charlieoflondon
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
in the opening number of Billy Elliot where the miners are all on stage singing 'when we stand as one/ all out together, all out as one' always gives me chills!

dayao Profile Photodayao Profile Photo
dayao
Stand-by
Stand-by
Larry Kert as Bobby & Julia McKenzie as April igniting the stage with sexual energy in "Barcelona" in the 1972 London production of "Company".

Also Kert's definitive electrifying performance of "Being Alive" in the same production, which got a standing ovation the night I attended, one of the absolute "timeless" nights of musical theater I have ever experienced.
"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak