Page: 1

La Cage Broadway confirmation!

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
La Cage Broadway confirmation!#1
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:49am
It is opening next April, at Longacre Theatre, with Douglas Hodge making his Broadway debut!

So, with it closing in January in London (not yet announced), and Barrowman only contracted until 14th November, who do we think will play Albin for the last 5 weeks, do we think Douglas may make a London return for a few weeks? or perhaps a different celebrity Albin for every week? So many possibilities!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#2
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:53am
Angela Rippon!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#2
Posted: 9/14/09 at 1:47pm
Time-Life have confirmed that they will record this production when it opens in New York!
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#3
Posted: 9/14/09 at 2:12pm
A shame there wasn't scope to record the wonderful pairing of Messrs Allam & Quast before they departed the production on Saturday evening.

As for who will see out the run after JB, I suppose it makes sense for Douglas Hodge to reprise his role. Is Simon Burke contracted for the duration of the run?
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 9/14/09 at 02:12 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#4
Posted: 9/14/09 at 2:14pm
The closer the production got to getting a Broadway transfer the more the producers held off recording a London cast as they see it selling better after the Broadway production gets a recording with a London cast member in tow.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#5
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:21pm
Should be a blast on Broadway, if they stay true to the London production, be interesting to see how it does, especially since it had a recent revival.
carriesparkle
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#6
Posted: 9/14/09 at 4:24pm
Burke's only in it for as long as Barrowman.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#7
Posted: 9/14/09 at 6:16pm
I imagine the cast aside from Douglas Hodge and whoever plays Jacquline will use American accents which is common for certain shows like Mamma Mia!, Wicked, Beauty and the Beast where the cast use their normal voice and accent when the show does have a specific location although I thought it was fitting for La Cage to do that and it works.
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: La Cage Broadway confirmation!#8
Posted: 9/14/09 at 8:01pm
As much as i enjoyed some elements of this production (and dont get me wrong i did)i got the same thoughts of those when i saw Little Shop.
The cast were great (except bennetts appalling accent) but the scenic and costume designs were that i'd expect of a good amatuer society - altho its set in a decaying club, to me the set looked like it was just shabbby, the "decayed bits" on the balustrades looked WAY too neat.

As a muso i thought the band were crap from start to finish, i was digusted with the trumpet player especially as he spent the entire show communicating to the bass player Stage right with various arm flails and mouthing - all members of our party agree'd he gave the impression of a complete knob! for the amount their paid, it was very unprof.

But I do still have mixed thoughts about this crossing the pond :S
x
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'