Page: 1

Ave Q closes on Broadway......then reopens Off Broadway

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The fantastic Ave Q played its final Broadway performance yesterday only to suprise everyone by announcing that the show will transfer Off Broadway to the New World Stages from October

Brilliant idea by the producers
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That really is a great idea.
It will run another few years there as its a small space, small but brilliant. Ive seen a number of shows there, 'The Great American Trailer Park Musical', 'Mimi Le Duck', 'Evil Dead' etc etc and each time I've sat there I've wished that London had a complex like this one.
I'm trying to work out now if this move is a 'first'?
Updated On: 9/14/09 at 08:09 AM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it probably is. Well, especially for a Tony-Winning show like Avenue Q.
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Fab idea, i love New World Stages and think Avenue Q will work really well there.

If only London had a complex like it
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I do believe that this is a first in terms of a show starting Off Broadway, then being so successful that it moves to Broadway only to move back Off Broadway again once it closes.

And, this is not the first time that a show has moved from Broadway to Off Broadway. The Play 'Night Mother, did the same thing. However, this is the first time that a show is moving to Off Broadway from Broadway in the same season.

I think that this show would do well at New World. The theatre that they are playing in there is one that has roughly half the number of seats as the Golden Theatre and I believe that they ran into trouble on Broadway by playing around or below half capacity for a long period of time. Something, that I don't think would be a problem in a smaller space.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wonderful to see the Q ain't leaving New York!
Everything in life...is only for now.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've done a little research and at least two plays had made similar transfer from Broadway to Off.
'Night Mother' which starred Kathy Bates, moved from Broadway to Off Broadway in 1984, as did 'Billy Bishop Goes to War' in 1980.
Also, the musical 'Simply Heavenly', moved from the Playhouse on Broadway to the Renata Theater in Greenwich Village in 1957.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is the New World Theatre near Times Square, near 51st Street Subway?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its further along the road from the Gerswhin/'Wicked', between Broadway and 9th -ish!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I hadn't already filled all my "slots" for my upcoming trip to New York, I'd definitely head along to see this. Would be very interested to experience this great show in an intimate space - and I love the New World Stages.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cool, just past the Snapple Centre!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yep, turn left there go 2 0r 3 blocks up and its on the left.
It was originally built as a multi screen cinema complex but never found an audience.