Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Rock Of Age's' hits London for Spring 2010.

More rubbish to clog up another West End house.
This kind of crap has been touring the provinces for years as one night concerts etc.

http://www.whatsonstage.com/gossip/theatre/london/E8831251981514/Rock+of+Ages+Bang+up+for+2010+London+Opening%3F%3F%3F.html
Updated On: 9/4/09 at 11:22 PM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This show is utter tripe, noooo,

...and thats the link to an article about a Chess Revival on B'way!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVE IT!!!!
GREAT NEWSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Im a sucker for this show. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rock of Ages is opening March 2010 and they have a few options for theatres... all of them larger playhouses. Waste
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So Rock of Ages is opening immediately but Xanadu, which is actually well written still can't get its act together?

Boo.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel like a heretic, but I LOVE the cast album of this show.

It's just what London needs - a jukebox musical for straight men/stag nights. There are so many hen night shows (Mamma Mia, Dirty Dancing, even Priscilla), and there is really no trashy jukebox musical for the men, and therefore RoA will do really well.

Still, it's a shame that David Ian can't get it together where Xanadu is concerned re: Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I... quite like Rock of Ages. :3 I've identified three different varieties of jukebox musical, and it turns out it's only the "shoddy story woven around a single musical act's best-known songs" ones I don't approve of, whereas the "pick a theme, use as many songs as you can from as many musical acts as you need that fit this theme, and just have fun!" ones are actually quite pleasing to me. (Yeah, I'm coupling Rock of Ages with Priscilla, even though the latter has a good solid story and the former has an innately silly one; the silliness is at least half the fun!)

And you know what the West End is like, they'll lap it up. Theatre-phobic guys have been a little more limited in their musical choices since Spamalot closed, this could be just what they need. :3
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rock of Ages does not use songs from one band - they have Journey, Poison, Bon Jovi and many others ... pretty much the same formula as Priscilla, but for straight men.
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was that to me? 'Cos I said that - "use as many songs as you can from as many musical acts as you need that fit this theme, and just have fun!". re: Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I get to see Rock of Ages next week in NY. I AM SO EXCITED. I've been listening to the soundtrack on my iPod all this week!
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
I saw this in NY, I went in with discounted tickets expecting to hate the show itself but enjoy the music. I had so much fun, I loved it. Not as a 'good musical' because it isn't, but it was a fantastic night out. Like others have said, its got a strong audience already.

I'll certainly be seeing it when it opens in London.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ive only seen a naughty dvd of this and it bored me to tears, there were a few funny moments and some of the cast were great but i just found it a bit naff

They are fast tracking it here because a movie version is coming out
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sing A Long A Rock Of Ages!
OMG!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The producers of 'Rock of Ages' must of fell off there chair when they got a stunning New York Times review. Saw this show in New York and I love classic heavy metal + I am a straight guy, let me tell you this show is really not that good.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had such a great time at this show! More so than Xanadu I think, which I greatly enjoyed. I'd gladly go back and see it again. Probably the most fun I've ever had watching a Broadway musical.

songanddanceman2 - I might have seen the same DVD (after I saw the show on Broadway) and it was nothing like seeing the show live. Especially since the camera ducks out of sight and you see nothing for half the DVD and you can barely understand what they're saying or see where the attention is focused. It's not funny because 90% of the time, you can't see or hear any of the jokes or sight gags. If that DVD was all I had to go on, I'd find the show insanely boring, too.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I was making a list of shows I wanted to see on my trip to New York in May and for my forthcoming trip in October - Rock of Ages didn't make even the reserve list either time lol. So I can't say I'm particularly interested in seeing it in London either.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Not a big fan of rock music, but I expect this will find an audience in the West End as it did on Broadway. I still think it's a bit of a stretch claiming to be a musical though. re: Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London
Seen some shows in my time....
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why? Are there not actually any songs? Do they not do any singing? re: Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It depresses me that this will get a west end house, will most likely get a LONG run and Spring didn't last 6 months. My housemates doing her dissertation on why musical theatre is slowly vanishing and being replaced by 80s films and tribute shows... this is another nail in the coffin of musical theatre that we love re: Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why all the hate??!?!?!

This is a GOOD show and we should be happy to have it in the West End.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not the musical theatre that I love. It's not preventing other types of shows from being written or produced. Musical theatre is not vanishing at all. Adaptations of 80s films are no different than adaptations of recent plays and novels were in the 50s and 60s. Tribute musicals and even jukebox musicals have not overrun Broadway or the West End to become a majority or even threaten the existence of any other shows. To believe musical theatre should not exist outside a rigid set of rules and standards is to deny it is an evolving art form like any other. It's like saying Nixon in China is not an opera because it did not follow the form of Puccini or Verdi. Or that the Impressionist or Cubist styles of painting were not art because they were no longer the realistic representations set forth from the previous periods.

If you believe musical theatre is art, then you need to accept that it will evolve, expand and change. And while there is art to musical theatre, like films and music, it is also popular entertainment, and in the case of Broadway and the West End, it is a commercial business as well. Rock of Ages is no more of a threat to musical theatre than Ain't Misbehavin', Smokey Joe's Cafe or Beatlemania. Especially since (at least on Broadway) 80s film adaptations, jukebox musicals and tribute shows have not proven to be historically all that successful. Oustide Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia, Broadway has yet to produce another hit jukebox/tribute musical, though the West End has been quicker to embrace them as evidenced by Buddy and The Rat Pack. And what other 80s film has reached the success of Hairspray other than possibly Fame, but only in the UK and Europe?

If an 80s film adaptation has a score, then it's still a musical. If a tribute show has songs sung by the characters, then it is still a musical. Non-book revues are still musicals. Even unconventional spectacles like Lord of the Rings or Notre Dame de Paris, good or bad, are still musicals. The only shows in recent years I feel have sort of really blurred the line in musical theatre would be Contact or Movin' Out, which are ballets, though Movin' Out does use live music and singers to tell the story.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Why? Are there not actually any songs? Do they not do any singing? re: Rock Of Ages Wastes No Time Coming To London

To try to clarify: I see ROA as having as much relevance to the Musical genre as 'Thriller, The Musical' i.e. more of an extended compilation CD in concert format than anything else. So yes, there are "songs" and there is "singing" but you could say the same of a lot of forms of entertainment. I'm happy enough if it brings a new audience to the West End and helps fuel return visits and a profitable theatre scene - but is it really going to open peoples' eyes to the variety of entertainment Musical Theatre can provide? From what I've read so far, I'm not convinced. Maybe the casting will win me over.

And to re-iterate: it doesn't appeal to me, but then neither did Spring Awakening. But I'd take SA over ROA any day.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ROA has a plot. Thriller doesn't. Your argument is moot.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"but is it really going to open peoples' eyes to the variety of entertainment Musical Theatre can provide?"

Well, isn't that exactly what it IS doing? It's something different from the camp-tastic Priscillas, the melodramatic Les Mizes, the family fare of Oliver! etc. I'm not saying it's "high art" but then it's been a good two years since Caroline Or Change and we've had little else on a musical front that's been both sophisticated AND interesting since so it's nothing new.

(edit: I forgot Parade. HOW could I forget Parade?)

I'm well biased - I LOVE 80s cheesy rock, I think the naffness of the whole thing is hilarious from the clips I've seen, and I will pony up cash to go and see Rock of Ages once it's all confirmed. It's hardly the death knell of exciting musical theatre in the West End - that's pretty much been dead for years now.

Put it this way - it still can't be as bad as We Will Rock You's book. *shudder*
Updated On: 9/7/09 at 05:09 PM
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My 'argument' is also my opinion - I honestly doubt many people will be going to see ROA for it's plot!

If it's entertaining enough to win over my reservations then so be it - then I'll be happy to wish good luck to all involved (and I don't wish them ill as it is). It's just not my sort of thing.

Therefore at the moment I remain to be convinced. As I said, good casting may change my mind...