Page: 1

Manchester

nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Manchester#1
Posted: 8/30/09 at 10:04am
Hello! i am moving to Manchester for uni in three weeks, and was wondering about the theatre/entertainment side of things there. I have heard it is second only to London, but wondered if anybody had any particular advice or information, about either the theatre scene or the city in general. Thanks!
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Manchester#2
Posted: 8/30/09 at 11:09am
I'm sure there are enough of us manchester folk on here to give you more advice than you would know what to do with, what do ya wanna know?

Re theatre , apparently it is the most blessed city for theatres in the uk after London, and although it does have a fairly decent theatre scene, be warned it is a big drop down form London's dizzy Theatre heights.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Manchester#2
Posted: 8/30/09 at 11:58am
I think we have a great theatre scene

For musicals and the commercial side of theatre we have the magnificent Palace Theatre, a 2000 capacity theatre which normally gets the big premieres of the touring shows etc, also its sister theatre the Opera House just down the road

The Lowry has 3 theatres in side, a large commercial theatre and 2 smaller theatres which house some great new works/ Fringe stuff etc

Fringe has a HUGE presence in Manchester and produces some of the best stuff (i should know i own one of Manchesters biggest fringe companies). Venues like The Green Room, The Contact Theatre, Studio Salford, Taurus Bar always have great things going on.

The Libary theatre and the Royal Exchange are well the big plays come, some in house produced, i would highly recomend checking out the Exchange.

There is always something go on at one of the theatres.

The city atself is fab, for a great night life there is Manchester famous Gay Village (Canal Street) or Castlefield which is great. We have some wonderful museums and Gallaries as well as an amazing shopping scene

Bars and resturants here are second to none

You will love it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Manchester#3
Posted: 8/30/09 at 12:24pm
Im doing an English and Drama degree at the uni and living in halls on Sackville Street, so I should be fairly central I think. I have only ever visited a few times really, so don't really know the city. Are there any decent pubs etc that are well known to locals in the centre??
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Manchester#4
Posted: 8/30/09 at 2:40pm
You should definitely check out the Royal Exchange with your student card and take advantage of the great discounts.

As for the city entertainment well there is definitely something for everyone depending on your scene. Sounds like you are going to be in the old UMIST halls which are fine but a tad detached from the rest of student life in the south of the city. Still great location... enjoy!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Manchester#5
Posted: 8/31/09 at 9:13am
DONT go near the Palace! Things lurk there that your parents warned you about
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Manchester#6
Posted: 8/31/09 at 9:17am
i resent that, im lovely i aim lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Manchester#7
Posted: 8/31/09 at 12:59pm
my parents warned me about sadm too, lol
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Manchester#8
Posted: 8/31/09 at 2:07pm
I was a student at Manchester University in the late 1980s and saw all sorts of stuff at the Palace and quite a bit at the Library Theatre.

I was a somewhat less sophisticated theatregoer then and used to ignore the serious stuff at the Royal Exchange. I could so kick myself now as I think the RX is one of the best things about Manchester, and I'm there regularly.

The city centre itself has improved so much as well. It's left behind its post-industrial decline and is so fresh and vibrant.

You'll probably come across the University's Contact Theatre as part of your course. It's a really eccentric building on the main University campus.

Best wishes with it all. University is an extraordinary and wonderful experience.