Page: 1

Zeta Jones & Lansbury set for Night Music

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zeta Jones & Lansbury set for Night Music#1
Posted: 8/21/09 at 4:31am
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RIALTO_CHATTER_Riedel_Says_ZetaJones_Lansbury_Set_For_NIGHT_MUSIC_20090821

Why don't we get the star names! I'm booking tickets to NY to see this now!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this in London, while I enjoyued it I did find it a bit plodding, fantastic cast though, just wasnt taken with the musical as a piece.

This casting however would possibly get me to NYC to see it again
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought some of the cast just weren't quite up to it personally and did quite get the characters right - I think NY will get it right 100%
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 05:11 AM
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
i loved it and thought all the cast were excellent, but broadway getting Lansbury and Zeta-jones makes me slightly green re: Zeta Jones & Lansbury set for Night Music. Maybe my next trip to nyc is coming up :)
AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I really don't think Zeta-Jones has the acting ability to pull this off. Nor do I understand America's fascination with her. thought she was terribly miscast in Chicago. I like Velma to be older and more experienced than Roxie; not young and arrogant.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not going to NYC til August next year when, even if this is still around, this cast wont be! re: Zeta Jones & Lansbury set for Night Music Ahh well!
PastorErnst Profile PhotoPastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Uh... Why wouldn't they be? Did I miss something?
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, when I go it will be 8 months after opening I believe, and I would be surprised if this cast, ESPECIALLY Zeta-Jones stayed more than 6 months!
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought the London cast had a few problems - Anne and Carl-Magnus mostly - but I thought Desiree and Madame A were perfect. I'm sure Zeta-Jones will sell more tickets, but I can't see her being anywhere near as good as Waddingham. Marin Mazzie, Rachel York, certainly, but not CZJ.

And I love Lansbury, but not sure I can see her in this production. (I didn't mention this on the Broadway board for fear of being killed.) The age-gap between her and CZJ is a bit much for mother and daughter, especially considering when it's set.

Despite its (not insignificant) flaws, I'm glad I saw the London cast.
Updated On: 8/21/09 at 10:37 AM
AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"The age-gap between her and CZJ is a bit much for mother and daughter, especially considering when it's set."
I agree, especially during the time when the show is set. Very few women had babies at 40+

And Rachel York would have been sublime. I love her.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the original when it first opened in NY

I like Sondheim but it is a bit slow moving. It is not everyones cup of tea. I doubt it will fare to well with tourists especially at the sky high prices they will charge

I think Natasha Richardson might have been in it had she not died so tragically.

My wife wants to see it so when we get discounted tickets we will go. I have a ton of CD'S & thought I had this but I only have an LP (remember those) of it. I will probably wait until they do a cast album with the revival cast & get it than.
Poster Emeritus
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was rumoured that Natasha Richardson will be in this production alongside her mother Vanessa Richardson, sadly this will never happen.
But for this particular production, I think CZJ is perfect! I'll admit the age gap between her and Angela is abit too much but for a show like Little Night Music, I think they really need some names to sell the production!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings