Page: 1

What is the Biggest Musical in the World?

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What is the Biggest Musical in the World?#1
Posted: 8/14/09 at 6:50pm

The Lion King

London - New York - Las Vegas - Tokyo - Paris - Hamburg - US Tour - Japan Tour + Film (hit - musical)

Wicked

London - New York - San Fransisco - Tokyo - Stuttgart - Melbourne - 2x US companies touring US + Planned Film (musical)

Mama Mia

London - New York - Paris - Mexico City - Oslo - US Tour - Australia Tour - Dutch Tour - New Zealand Tour - Spanish Tour - International Tour + Film (hit - Musical)

Phantom of the Opera

London - New York - Las Vegas - Buenos Aries - Warsaw - US Tour -Asia Pacific Tour + Film (flop - musical)

Billy Elliot

London - New York - Melbourne - Chicago + Film (hit - non musical)

Updated On: 8/14/09 at 06:50 PM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Les Mis

56 professional companies have opened Les MisÚrables in:
London, Washington/Broadway, Tokyo (3 companies), Tel Aviv (2 productions), Budapest (2 productions), U.S National 1, U.S National 2, U.S Bus and Truck, Sydney, Reykjavik, Oslo, Vienna, Toronto, Gydnia, Melbourne, Stockholm, Montreal, Amsterdam, Odense, Paris, Prague (2 productions), Madrid, Copenhagen, U.K. Tour (2 companies), Manila, Duisburg, South East Asia, Karlstad, Aalborg, Australia National Tour, Antwerp, Aarhus, Helsinki, Buenos Aires, Gothenburg, Malmo, Bonn, Sao Paulo, Chemnitz, Estonia, Gyor, Detmold, Shanghai, Korea, Mexico, Saarbruecken, Dessau, Bolmo, Berlin and Danish Tour.

Productions have played in 38 countries and 223 cities. The countries include:
England, United States Of America, Japan, Israel, Hungary, Australia, Iceland, Norway, Austria, Canada, Poland, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, New Zealand, France, The Czech Republic, Spain, Northern Ireland, Eire, Scotland, Wales, Bermuda, Malta, Philippines, Mauritius, Singapore, Germany, Hong Kong, Korea, South Africa, Belgium, Finland, Argentina, Brazil, Estonia, China and Mexico.

Les MisÚrables has been translated into 21 different languages:
English, Japanese, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, German, Polish, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, French, Czech, Castillian, Mauritian Creole, Flemish, Finnish, Argentinian, Portuguese, Estonian and Mexican Spanish.

The production has played over 38,000 professional performances worldwide giving a total audience figure of more than 51 million people.

There have been 31 cast recordings of Les MisÚrables (including albums, singles and the symphonic).

Les MisÚrables has won over 50 major theatre awards, a Grammy for the Broadway cast album and a Triple Platinum Disc for the London cast album which has now sold over 1,030,000 copies in the U.K. The highlights album has gone gold in the UK and Australia and the Les MisÚrables in Concert album has gone gold in the UK.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Totally agree with you that Les Mis WAS the biggest hit in the universe, one of my favourite shows, but this is not the biggest musical now.

Great gen of info Con!
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well done charles on les mis !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In all fareness, I copied and pasted the whole thing of the Les Mis webbie!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmm id probably say Phantom has the biggest worldwide recognition.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
id go with Mamma Mia right now, but it is a close call between that and Phantom
Rebecca5
Swing
Swing
I'd say Les Mis. It's the longest running West End musical. It's definitely not Wicked. Wicked may be big in the US and UK, but it's only been translated into German and Japanese. RENT has also had quite a few international productions.
Updated On: 8/16/09 at 01:51 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Desert Song
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GONE WITH THE WIND ! deffo went with mine ! Lol
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The biggest musicals in the world are actually the ones like Gilbert & Sullivan, Oklahoma, etc. which may not have nonstop first rate professional productions running, but are constantly performed on the amateur, regional, and educational levels.

Though now that Les Miz is available for such groups, it rather has reclaimed the top spot.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
scale-wise... shudn't it be Lord of the Rings?
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"scale-wise... shouldn't it be Lord of the Rings?"

Not really. You have things like Time and the Australian arena tour of Starlight Express on that front.

Also fixed your spelling for you.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
and also these arena shows like Ben Hur and stuff.

Wicked certainly is the biggest musical in a long, long time. Les Miserables, though, I think has to take first place - purely for the length of time it's been playing and the amount of places it has played!
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While I do think that Wicked is good example of the American mega musical, I do think though that the top prize for biggest musical in the world would have to go to Les Miserables. I never have seen a show that has played in so many countries, in so many languages and for such a long time.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How about Phantom?

It is the most successful entertainment verture of all time (with a total international gross of over $3 billion) and unlike Les Mis, it is still playing in both London and New York, plus has a $40 million production in Vegas.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In terms of age, I think Phantom and Les Mis are the biggest musicals but Mamma Mia! is catching up. Lion King and Wicked have expanded into the major markets with Lion King slightly ahead having played in places like South Africa, Paris and Vegas and is expanding to Spain next while Wicked has really only scratched the surface in terms of global presense but to have 7 productions in under six years is an achievement and I believe it is opening in Amsterdam in 2010 or 2011 at the new theatre that Joop Van Ende is building.

Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's defo Les Mis... but give it a few years and see what happens. Wicked is HUGE and the film will make it even bigger. I reckon WICKED could possibly overtake it.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There isn't going to be a film so fast. Those rumours have just gotten out of control.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Desperately Seeking Susan.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Depends what you mean by biggest? Money... Size... How many productions...
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know the films not gonna come anytime soon... but it isn't losing popularity and you throw a film into the equation in 5 years time and it'll explode all over again!
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!