Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hair??? YES PLEASE!
Everything in life...is only for now.
TimesSquareRegular Profile PhotoTimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe HAIR could return to the Shaftesbury, where it caused a bit of a dust-up in 1968:

"1968: Musical Hair opens as censors withdraw
The American hippy musical "Hair" has opened in London - one day after the abolition of theatre censorship.
Until yesterday, some of the scenes in the musical, written by out-of-work actors Gerome Ragni and James Rado, would have been considered too outrageous to be shown on a stage in Britain.

The show, billed as an American tribal love-rock musical, first opened in New York on 2 December last year.

Many were angered by scenes containing nudity and drug-taking as well as a strong anti-war message at the height of the Vietnam conflict and the desecration of the American flag on stage.

The show's transfer to London's West End would not have been possible before the new Theatres Act which ended the Lord Chamberlain's powers of censorship dating back to 1737."

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)
MichaelUK92 Profile PhotoMichaelUK92 Profile Photo
MichaelUK92
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Thanks for this article. Would love to see HAIR, and a lot of other broadway shows cross the pond to London, just to mix it up for the regulars now and again (Wicked,Mamma Mia, Les Mis) but am not to keen on Rock of Ages, what a waste of a transfer, we already have we will rock you, can't we have at least a worthwhile b'way show if one's coming.

I'm voting for HAIR, or anything else! :)
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't see public taste going for Hair, no matter how good the current production.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I disagre, i think it would do great business here
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It didn't last time! (as I've said on here a thousand times!)
MichaelUK92
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
times change..things people didn't like or accept years ago, people today might love.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was only in the West End 15 years ago in a major production at THe Old Vic - starring John Barrowman! no less!!!!
Im not on about its original run- its flopped on all runs its had.
The Queens Theatre
The Old vic
all closed within months!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unlike N2N, I will agree with you here Mama, I LOVE Hair... but it wouldnt last 2 months in the West End!
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hair may have been a big fat failure before, but then, so was La Cage. :P

That said, I do agree that Rock of Ages is FAR more likely to go down well with the charming population that makes up the West End audience.
MichaelUK92
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Weez, i have to agree with you. for some reason we love those types of musicals.

why can't i be american? lol
i need something more from a musical, and hated WWRY.

come on britain!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TimesSquareRegular that was a top gem of information you provided me with, thanks, make sure you drop in one day for some English tea!

I saw Hair in New York and I am going to be very restrained..... from saying it is rubbish as I know a lot of people love the show, but I personally did not enjoy it, as I could not connect with the show, one of those unfortunate things, I guess we all have sometimes. Hair for me, the show only had a wee story, but the show is about attitude than story.

Mama, I have heard you voice on here that hair does not cut the mustard here!
Updated On: 7/25/09 at 02:38 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw Hair on Broadway in May and, one word - stunning!

I can appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea - but I found it VERY powerful (it certainly engaged me on every emotional and intellectual level) and hugely enjoyable. I guess it is in some ways a little dated - the "hippy" tribe thing may be lost on some of today's audience and the Vietnam theme is somewhat passe - but it's anti-war theme is universal and timeless. Also, it has a knock-out score and this is a fantastically energised production. A wonderful piece of theatre.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Variety article on possible Bway to West End transfers
re: Variety article on possible Bway to West End transfers

Amazing cast, Paul Hipp ('Buddy' fame), John Barrowman, Sinitta!
Less than two months- gone!
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wonderful score, lousy book. From what I've seen of the new Broadway production the director has managed to bring new life into what in recent years had become just a mess (no matter who did it). I don't think that artwork for the London revival would create much interest.
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh dear-not even I can bring myself to find that picture attractive!

I agree with 'Rock of Ages' being a more likely candidate-stick an X factor reject in it like they have with the American Idol guy and it would sell in the West End.

I personally would see Hair, more to say I've 'seen it' if you know what I mean-does it need a WE transfer and would it do well-probably not for many of the reasons already stated.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/