Page: 1

West End to Broadway and Other Transfers

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Over the years and probably since the birth of Broadway and the West End, we have seen numerous shows crossing both sides of the Atlantic in the hope they can be successful with many successes and failures. Broadway tends to mostly transfer over the musicals with the odd play while The West End mostly transfer the plays although there has been many successful British musicals on Broadway with the latest being Billy Elliot.

Has anyone seen the same show both on Broadway and London and how did it compare and is there any current or upcoming Broadway show that you would like to see in the West End. I would love to see Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher which opens on Broadway in September but I am sure it will come here in 2010/11.
Updated On: 7/7/09 at 07:18 PM
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would love to see 9 to 5 and Shrek come across to London. I think especially Shrek will work wonders with the British audiences.

I have seen Wicked in three places around the world (Melbourne, London and New York) and the best production was by far on Broadway. It was just so slick and totally incredible, plus the set at the Gershwin was even more beautiful than at the Regent/Apollo Vic.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree - Wicked for me was better on Broadway, largely due to the fact that I saw Kristin (who was incredible), while in London I saw Helen Dallimore, who I thought was appalling.

Of the two Billy Elliots, I thought that the New York show just had the edge over London.

Spring Awakening, on the other hand, I thought the London cast was overall even better than the New York cast.

Many years ago I saw the original Broadway and West End stagings of Sweeney Todd. Both productions were pretty much on a par (Hal Prince basically recreating the show for London from New York). But the mere presence of Angela Lansbury in New York had to give that the edge (great as Sheila Hancock's Mrs. Lovett was, nothing could top Angela's superlative performance).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Philomena Profile PhotoPhilomena Profile Photo
Philomena
Swing
Swing
The only show that I ever saw on Broadway and the West End was Starlight Express. I thought that the West End version was far superior.
Mazz0626
Understudy
Understudy
They did some seriously strange things to Starlight Express to try to make it palatable for Broadway audiences. It looks like they were trying to turn it into Phantom on Wheels...
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I prefer the Broadway theatre scene... it seems to have more of a buzz about it. Although i get a little bit more disheartened every time i go to the theatre... it upsets me to see addidas tracksuits running round in a theatre re: West End to Broadway and Other Transfers Sad times that theatre etiquette is slowly becoming obsolete.
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy Elliot on Broadway is neither better nor worse that the London production, bits in both I prefer, such as angry dance when he is dancing in frustration in his bedroom and you get three silhouettes of Billy come up on the big wall, also loved Maggie Thatcher?s voice is great in angry dance, also loved the bit at the beginning when Billy gets mixed up in the ballet class and when all the ballerinas are gone, he is alone, so he practises a few steps by himself again with a silhouette against the wall.

I also think the Phantom on Broadway is better, The Majestic Theatre is stunning.