Page: 3

'Sunset' Rises For Christmas CONFIRMED

musical_devotee Profile Photomusical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#51
Posted: 12/8/08 at 12:25pm
I've booked for February and can't wait to see it. One of my favorite musicals of all time.
vassey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#52
Posted: 12/10/08 at 5:00pm
Just got back from going to see it - brilliant! Kathryn Evans is award winningly spectacular, and she BLOWS the roof off the place! Ben Goddard is almost as amazing, Dave Willets is amazing and dangerous, and no weak links in the multi-talented ensemble either IMO. The orchestrations sound big and I didnt find myself thinking it could do with a full pit orchestra. The audience seemed to love it too, tho I overheard two seperate couples complaining about the lack of the huge golden levitating mansion from the original production. This is definately one to see before it closes!
Updated On: 12/11/08 at 05:00 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#53
Posted: 12/10/08 at 5:16pm
I saw the matinee today and loved it!
I have never seen an actor-musician show before so wasn't sure what to expect. I love the cast recordings of Sunset Boulevard but was too little (and not into theatre) when it was originally staged.
Kathryn Evans as Norma really stole the show. Her songs produced an amazing response from the audience including cheering. The whole cast were so talented and I even got to see Dave Willetts' Emile De Becque again.

I really want to see it again and hope it does well in London.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#54
Posted: 12/11/08 at 4:10am
I'm going to the final preview with my friend on Saturday. As we are on a tight budget, we got the £5 balcony seats. Hope they arn't too bad although im guessing they will be haha.
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#55
Posted: 12/13/08 at 5:38pm
I just got back from seeing it this afternoon, and I thought it was a stunning production. I agree with everybody, in that Kathryn Evans IS Norma, and has completely created the definitive version of the character for me. She commanded the entire stage, and enthralled the audience from her first appearance. I must say, I was not overly keen on Ben Goddard as Joe, as I felt as the show progressed, he got more and more over-the-top which I didn't feel suited the character. All in all - a superb production.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#56
Posted: 12/13/08 at 6:01pm
Just looked on the website and a friend is the Female Understudy! :)
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#57
Posted: 12/14/08 at 12:54pm
I hope to be there on Wednesday matinée.

I understand that Norma Desmond(Kathleen Evans) and Max von Meyling, are both professional actors, so will not be playing any instruments. I wonder if the role of Joe Gillis is played by an actor who plays music, the reason I ask is that the role of Joe Gillis needs a person who is a very good actor/singer, especially to sing the superb title song 'Sunset Boulevard' as you need strength of voice to deliver this number and at the same time show the self hatred going through him, as he has sold himself out, so a strong acting ability is required. I wonder if someone that plays a instrument and acts can deliver this?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#58
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:32pm
Joe plays...a couple of things. And what on Earth makes you think the rest of the people in that cast aren't "professional actors?" The programme sure as heck implies otherwise.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#59
Posted: 12/14/08 at 2:30pm
I think the rest maybe not professional actors as they do duel roles of acting/musician, however they might be very good at their duel role, I have to decide when I see it, previous comments on here, have shown how contentious it is to have duel role. I believe the role of Joe Gillis needs someone that has great ability and presence in acting/singing!
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#60
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:11pm
Max plays instruments too, the cymbals mainly
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#61
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:39pm
I thought Dave Willets on the Cymbals was hilarious. For all the wrong reasons. It reminded me of the Phantom Monkey. The only other issue I had with the production was the actor playing the man from the gentlemans shop - I dont have his name as they had no programmes.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#62
Posted: 12/14/08 at 5:57pm
The entire cast of Sunset Boulevard consists of professional actors - who also happen to be professional musicians. As for Ben Goddard, who plays Joe Gillis, he is a highly experienced actor/singer who is also an accomplished musician. His credits include playing the lead in The Beautiful Game in the West End plus Arnaud du Thil in Martin Guerre at the Watermill last year - and his Arnaud was sensational. His performance as Joe Gillis is outstanding, both acting wise and vocally.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR***** THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA***** VINCENT RIVER***** THE SECRET DIARY OF ADRTIAN MOLE**** THE CLOCKMAKER'S DAUGHTER**** BARE**** AFTERGLOW**** FIVER***** CLOSER TO HEAVEN*** THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY***** LESS MISERABLE (EdFringe)*** HUGHIE (EdFringe)**** VOLDERMART AND THE TEENAGE HOGWART PARODY (EdFringe)**** I WISH MY LIFE WERE LIKE A MUSICAL (RdFringe)**** ALL SHOOK UP (EdFringe)**** NEWS REVIEW (EdFringe)**** THE SHARK IS BROKEN (EdFringe)**** SHAKING THE DEAD (EdFringe)*** WHEN THE BIRDS COME (EdFringe)*** CROCODILE FEVER (EdFringe)***** THE PILLOWMAN (EdFringe)*** FOUR WOKE BAES (EdFringe)**** MY SON PINNOCHIO JR****
Updated On: 12/14/08 at 05:57 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#63
Posted: 12/16/08 at 6:34am
I think our friend 'Phantom Off London' got a little confused with the am situation. Be kind!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#64
Posted: 12/16/08 at 6:47am
4 stars from Billington but plenty of backhanded complements to the Lord:

"At first, I was put off by the frenetic opening, in which the 13 actors hurtle around seeking to evoke Hollywood hysteria and a studio big-shot is expected simultaneously to answer a telephone and play the double-bass. But Horwood's production and Sarah Travis's musical arrangements settle down to focus on the inherent fascination of the story with its mix of movie myth and melodrama. It fits into a consistent Lloyd Webber pattern, visible in both The Phantom of the Opera and The Woman in White, in which a guileless outsider is lured into a milieu of gothic weirdness. There is a good deal of wit in the staging, so that a swimming pool is evoked through a pair of diving-frames, and an upended chaise-longue turns into a drugstore sign."
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Sunset'Rises For Christmas#65
Posted: 12/16/08 at 7:07am
Saw he last preview on saturday, got upgraded from balcony to upper circle. Was glad about that specially since we only paid £5.

Loved the show, very unique the way the actors used the instruments. Fab performances.