Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010

Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is supposed to represent the face of the christine-bot (but is not a mask used in the show)
I think too they are trying to mirror the original which features the Phantom's mask, although stylised.

Personally I dont have much of a problem with it, I would have liked it to reflect more the imagery associated with carnivals: the fancy lettering, the old paint, more of the old looking lights.

Not knowing the intracies of the story, I am worried that they are using a female mask as the logo but am not seeing where that would fit in with the story. Does Christine get deformed at some time? or is it just a representation of the sex-bot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
Flight0017 Profile PhotoFlight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Deformed or maybe disfigured. Strangely, I like the idea of something like that happening.
"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I vaguely remember seeing someplace that Sierra had to do a face/head mold also, but it seems unlikely they will have time to deform someone midway through a show since it takes along time to put on those prosthetics properly.

Also I thought it odd that Squelch had a head cast if he is just supposed to be tattooed, unless they are making special masks for people to wear, which I figured would be cheaper to just use a one size fits all mask.

Who knows, by next week we should all know.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is, I believe, an animatronic Christine that is used in the show!!! God, it sounds like a Christmas window at Selfridges!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whether the show turns out to be good or bad, it is probably the most intriguing build-up to a musical since Carrie. I just wish I could have been there to see it in London.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Flight0017 Profile PhotoFlight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
An animatronic Christine? Dear Lord (Lloyd Webber)! What does it do? Shoot fireballs out of its mouth?

"I will set you world aflame
With my voice of such fame
Here on the isle of Coney
Where the rides cost lots of money"
"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Single, 'Till I Hear You Sing' is given away in todays edition...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1252556/A-fabulous-new-Phantom-song--hear-The-Mail-Sunday.html

...don't all rush at once!
Updated On: 2/20/10 at 08:53 PM
chernjam Profile Photochernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Were the patrons who had purchased tix for the first preview allowed to attend the dress rehersal tonight?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^It got cancelled.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't hold your breath for Monday night
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The public got a refund or rebooked. Yesterday would have been a dress and tech. I said earlier in this thread, as Dev just repeated, don't hold your breath for Monday or even after.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Since we all know Mama's opinion on this show, I'll post a little reminder about a show he DID love:

Zorro canceled its first...two? three? previews in London. It does happen, and better the show take an extra day or two to get things RIGHT than to open and crush somebody's leg.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So go back to his statement last year saying that he was:
'starting so early as they didn't have to go thru the who shebang of cancelled shows and it not being ready for the public. Too many shows cancel and disappoint. We are ready with this one'
His words not mine! and I'm not the only one on here who isn't enthused.
They took the Adelphi for two months last year 'to get everything right!'!
Updated On: 2/21/10 at 07:27 AM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm hearing 1st preview Wednesday...

ALW is so full of hot air they have to drag him down from the top of the auditorium with a butterfly net most days.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Glenn Slater told me last night there is no robot Christine, nor are there any rides on stage! How sad!
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Overheard in a well known West End establishment yesterday:

"Any gossip?"

"Well... it's still a question of the set never dries."
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Love Ramin's voice but hate this song. Without the lush orchestrations it's quite a bland song.

And lo the understudy story has already been done on this one. Star off ill with fever and the unprepared understudy steps in and wows all there. Fortunate that The Daily Mail were there to get the story.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just some quick history about Coney Island and the Cyclone.

There were in fact originally two roller coasters. However, the only one that still stands and is still in operation (well only during the spring and summer) is The Cyclone. The Cyclone was part of Astroland Amusment Park which closed a couple of years ago and now is it's own thing. Despite the fact that developers want to knock down the sad remains of the old Coney Island and build apartment buildings, they cannot touch the Cyclone. It is not only a NYC landmark but a national one. And, because people still enjoy riding it they will keep it in operation until it is deemed unsafe to do so.

I am kind of convinced that they are going to wait for someone to die from that thing prior to closing it. And, the fact that it has been around since the 1920's is something that adds to the thrill of the ride.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was in Coney Island last year for a day out of new York, don't worry I made sure I was back 8pm sharp!

I thought Coney Island looked a bit run down, but had a lovely beach and I did go for a swim in The Atlantic.

Winston, do they have preservation orders in New York for buildings and structures?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 2/21/10 at 11:14 PM
BroadwayBenny Profile PhotoBroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
POL - if by preservation orders you mean the American equivalent of Listed Buildings, there are National Historic Landmarks, as well as New York City Landmarks.

http://www.nps.gov/nhl/index.htm
http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/html/home/home.shtml
Updated On: 2/22/10 at 01:30 AM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom,

As theatreguy pointed out they do. The benefits of having a building reach landmark status is that it makes it impossible for other builders to demolish it to make way for their own projects.

I do know for example, that all the Broadway theatres at least have landmark status at least as far as New York City is concerned. Which, like I said means that they can't be knocked down. If they were to have national landmark status then it would mean the same thing, just another layer of protection.

It should be noted that with the case of Henry Miller's Theatre, the only thing that had landmark status was the facade. The rest of the building didn't and that was why they were able to do with it what they did. Which was that they were able to keep the facade and to build a new theatre around it.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, will it be today...?