Village Theatre Now Accepting New Musical Scripts
Known for developing such new musicals as Next to Normal, Million Dollar Quartet, and It Shoulda Been You, Village Theatre is pleased to announce an open call for writers to submit new works to artistic leadership. Village Theatre will accept script submissions until August 3, 2018 to be considered for The Festival of New Musicals and/or the Beta Series. Authors may submit a libretto sample for consideration, and full scripts will be accepted via invitation only. As a commitment to inclusivity, Village Theatre encourages submissions with diverse stories, experiences, musical styles, forms, content, and points of view.
To submit a script, works must fit the following criteria:
- The piece must be a musical. Non-musical plays, plays with music, traditional opera pieces, and children's theatre or theatre for young audiences, will not be accepted.
- Emerging, mid-career, and writers of experience levels are all encouraged to submit, but must be of professional-level writing skill.
- At least three demo recordings must be available. Demos do not need to be professional/studio quality, but must have clear lyrics, melody, and accompaniment.
- A full-length script must be available upon request (at least 80 minutes).
- All content must either be wholly original, based on work in the public domain, or authors must have underlying rights and/or permissions to use any pre-existing material. No exceptions.
- The musical must still be in development - shows that have appeared on Broadway or are licensed by a major licensing house will not be considered.
If the script fits the above criteria, authors are invited to submit a 15-20 page libretto sample of consecutive pages and three to five songs (including all songs in the libretto sample). A title page is not needed, and scripts longer than 20 pages will not be reviewed. Only digital submissions will be accepted. Hard copy submissions will be returned unopened.
To learn more, or to submit your script, please visit https://villagetheatre.org/issaquah/vo-submit-script.php.
About Village Theatre's Village Originals Program
The Village Originals program of readings, workshops, and developmental productions represents one of the strongest commitments to new musicals in the nation, developing such musicals as Pulitzer Prize-winner Next to Normal, Tony Award-winner Million Dollar Quartet, Drama Desk Award-winner Cupid & Psyche, Stephen Schwartz's Snapshots, and the Drama Desk Award-nominated It Shoulda Been You, After the Fair, and Making Tracks. Village Theatre is one of the few resident theatres to provide regular opportunities at every step of musical development, from first table reading to full-scale premiere production. Each season, new works are included as part of Village Theatre's five-show Mainstage lineup alongside the classics. Anchored by The Annual Festival of New Musicals and the Beta Series, the Village Originals program is dedicated to the continued growth and evolution of musical theatre, and a determination that the form will remain vibrant and relevant for generations to come.
About Village Theatre
Based in Issaquah, WA, with operations in Everett, WA, Village Theatre is a leading producer of musical theatre in the Pacific Northwest. Producing entertaining, quality productions since 1979, Village Theatre has grown into one of the region's best-attended theatres, with approximately 20,000 Subscribers and 220,000 projected total attendance each season. Through its Village Originals program, Village Theatre is nationally recognized for its contribution to the development of new musicals, having supported the creation of over 160 new works to date. Village Theatre also takes pride in nurturing tomorrow's audiences through its Youth Education and Outreach programs, KIDSTAGE and Pied Piper, serving over 58,000 young people and their families annually.