Dr. Phillips Center Receives Award For Operational Excellence
The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts received the prestigious 2018 Venue Excellence Award from the International Association of Venue Managers at the organization's annual conference in Toronto yesterday. The arts center received top honors among 133 IAVM member performing arts centers on four continents. The award recognizes venues for operational excellence, safety and security, employee team building and development, and service to the community.
IAVM is the leading association for the international venue industry and annually recognizes venues that demonstrate excellence in management and operations. Categories include: performing arts centers, arenas, stadiums, amphitheaters, auditoriums, convention centers and university venues.
Among the factors that contributed to Dr. Phillips Center's selection are:
- Outstanding revenue generation, including $176 million raised to date in private philanthropy
- Growth in number of shows and attendance to 346 curtains and 600,000 guests (2016-17)
- A 95% "exceeds expectations" rating of surveyed guests
- A spike in guest engagement in 2017, with a 585% jump in web traffic and a 10% increase in Facebook fans
- An investment of more than 2,100 hours of formal training in the areas of leadership, service and team excellence for employees, volunteers and partners
- Sustainability and environmental efforts, including the conversion to LED fixtures and illumination
- Excellence in security and safety, including a comprehensive preparedness plan, extensive colleague and visitor screenings, ongoing trainings and local law enforcement partnerships
- Curating of original programs and initiatives, including the Dr. Phillips Center Jazz Orchestra, Docs and Dellas youth performance group, and multiple education programs
- Providing more than $5 million in community support value for the first 3 years since opening for youth education programs and scholarships; free school performances; rental assistance for arts, non-profit and community organizations; and free events on the Seneff Arts Plaza.
"This remarkable IAVM Award of Excellence recognizes our commitment to excellence by our team of colleagues, volunteers, board members and supporters," said Dr. Phillips Center President Katherine Ramsberger. "Our core belief in building and operating the Dr. Phillips Center was and is to evolve and enhance the experience of our performing arts center while operating a successful business, which includes giving back to the community and providing Arts for Every Life."
Dr. Phillips Center Chairman Jim Pugh added, "We're proud to accept this award for the operational excellence of the arts center, especially for the first phase of the project. It acknowledges our determination to deliver on our promise to the community and it validates our work to complete the capital campaign for Phase 2 -- Steinmetz Hall and The Green Room. As the community united behind Phase 1, we're excited to complete the Phase 2 project together. We're looking forward to the final support needed to reach our goal."