Photo Coverage: The First Night Nashville Theatre Honorees' Dinner
The eight theater visionaries feted during First Night Week in Nashville were the guests of honors at a dinner on Thursday, September 16, at Germantown Cafe, during which they were presented with their medals which help to designate them as members of the 2010 Class of First Night Honorees.
Designed by Jeffrey Ellis, founder and executive producer of The First Night Nashville Theatre Honors, the silver medals - which were minted by the artisans at the Northwest Territorial Mint - featured the official First Night star logo, orginally created by Rusel Brown in 1989 for the original First Night Awards. The First Night Awards were presented from 1989 through 1996. First Night was revived by Ellis in 2010 in its new incarnation based upon the Kennedy Center Honors' recognition.
Nationally recognized theater artist/designer (and artistic director of Studio Tenn, Nashville's newest professional theater company) Matt Logan presented his original artwork, which features his line drawing of the eight honorees, to the special guests during the dinner. Logan's art was featured on the program cover for the First Night Honors, which were presented on Sunday, September 19, at Belmont University's Troutt Theatre.
The 2010 Class of First Night Honorees included:
- Scot Copeland, now celebrating his 25th year as producing artistic director of Nashville Children's Theatre;
- Paul Gatrell, chair of the department of theatre and dance at Belmont University;
- Kathleen O'Brien, president and CEO of the Tennessee Performing Arts Center;
- A. Sean and Robert A. O'Connell, co-founders of ACT 1 and GroundWorks Theatre;
- Mac Pirkle, founder of Southern Stage Productions and co-founder of Tennessee Repertory Theatre;
- Barry Scott, actor/director/producer/voice-over artist and faculty member at Tennessee State University;
- Shannon Wood, stage manager and co-founder and owner of Darkhorse Theatre
Photo by Tim O'Brien
Matt Logan's original drawing of the eight First Night honorees