Properties Assistant - Arena StageBack to Jobs | View More Full Time Jobs - Creative Listings
ABOUT ARENA STAGE
Arena Stage was founded August 16, 1950 in Washington, D.C. by Zelda Fichandler, Tom Fichandler and Edward Mangum. Over 65 years later, Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater, under the leadership of Artistic Director Molly Smith and Executive Director Edgar Dobie, is a national center dedicated to American voices and artists. Arena Stage produces plays of all that is passionate, profound, deep and dangerous in the American spirit, and presents diverse and ground-breaking work from some of the best artists around the country. Arena Stage is committed to commissioning and developing new plays and impacts the lives of over 10,000 students annually through its work in community engagement. Now in its seventh decade, Arena Stage serves a diverse annual audience of more than 300,000.
The Properties Assistant to prepares, moves and sets properties during the performance; maintains, repairs and stores props during the run of the production.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Learn the placement of furniture and hand props during tech week from the information received from the Properties Director and the Stage Management team
• Check all props before and after each performance to assess their condition. Repair or replace props as needed; consulting the Properties Director if necessary
• Prepare consumable props which includes food and drink. Inspect that all paper goods are in good condition, breakables and effects props are re-rigged and set for each performance
• Purchase or order props for each performance needed during the run of the show
• Remove and set props at scene changes during the performances
• Repair or replace props during the run of the production, consulting the Properties Director if necessary
• Maintain appearance of set and furniture by cleaning and repairing when needed
• Coordinate activities with the Stage Management team, and assist other running crew with any duties necessary for the run of the show
• Assist cleaning the stage at the start and end of each performance
• Be available during performances to do emergency repairs or replacements as needed
• May be asked to support understudy rehearsals
• Assist in the build of the production in the prop shop between show runs
• May be asked to wear a costume for scene changes during productions
• Required to use, maintain and store firearms if production calls for it
• Respond to theatre wide properties needs as requested: Prop Sales, Move to Stage Days, etc.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
• Two years technical theatre background
• Skills in several of the disciplines required for building props (carpentry, upholstery, painting, crafts, graphics, sculpture, sewing)
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift 50 lbs.
• This is a seasonal, full-time role reporting to the Properties Director
• Compensation: $19.25/hour