Production Manager - Second StageBack to Jobs | View More Full Time Jobs - Administrative Listings
About Second Stage
Second Stage Theater produces work entirely by 21st century American playwrights both on and off Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists and welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
The Production Manager, in close coordination with the Director of Production, is primarily responsible for the production management of Second Stage’s off Broadway season and Kiser Theater programming. They also provide production management support to the Director of Production on all Broadway productions and events at the Hayes Theater. Responsible for coordinating work across multiple production areas, and providing clear and effective communication to visiting designers and artists, the Production Manager ensures Second Stage productions open to our audiences on time and within budget.
The schedule for this role will vary based on the dynamic schedule of the Theater. The Manager will work remotely until August 1st – when the first Kiser load-in commences – at which time full-time in-person work is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Director of Production, oversee the execution of all production requirements in support of the work across Second Stage’s theaters and throughout the organization
- Create and maintain production calendars within the department and share pertinent information across the organization
- Ensure that the resources and support available to production departments are sufficient to achieve the artistic vision and excellence of the Theater
- Assist the Director of Production in creating and maintaining annual production budgets; in collaboration with the Assistant Production Manager and Production Intern, track all production and show related expenditures and generate expense reports
- Schedule and lead regular production meetings with Second Stage staff and creative teams
- Cultivate and promote a safe working environment in which Second Stage’s production department and over hire employees operate in accordance with current health and safety regulations and best theater practices
- In collaboration with the Director of Production, verify and uphold Second Stage’s compliance with local and national collective bargaining agreements (IATSE, AFM, USA, SDC and AEA)
Creative Team Support & Engagement
- Provide clear communication to all members of the creative team establishing proper understanding of Second Stage resources available to them
- Distribute design guidelines, relevant Second Stage policies and show calendars to all creative teams
- Maintain and update all shared design documentation, including design guidelines, internally and externally
In collaboration with the Assistant Production Manager, organize onsite design meetings and designer visits
- Lead the creative team and relevant Second Stage staff through the entire production process at the Kiser Theater
- Lead design meetings, production meetings, and post preview note sessions
Leadership & Supervision
- Lead, manage and supervise the Second Stage Kiser Production team
- Attend and/or run department meetings to communicate pertinent information and shared organizational commitments
- Coach and develop staff members and over hires by monitoring the quality of employees' work and providing constructive feedback; facilitating conflict resolution among employees; ensuring adherence to legal and organizational policies and procedures; undertaking disciplinary actions if the need arises; and completing annual performance evaluations
- Maintain and approve direct report timesheets and expense reports, PTO requests, and other personnel records
- Attend regular production meetings, as well as departmental and interdepartmental meetings when required
Skills & Qualifications
- Prior experience in a management role of a theater production department. Formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered
- Experience, ability, and commitment to work with a diverse community of individuals and teams
- Strong ability to lead a team, delegate and communicate effectively across multiple departments
- Ability to read and assimilate information from technical design drawings
- Aptitude in crafting and overseeing budgets required; budget management experience preferred
- Proven experience in handling production and design processes on large scale productions
- Working knowledge of IATSE, AFM, USA, SDC, AEA and LORT collective bargaining agreements
- Demonstrated computer skills including G-Suite, Dropbox, and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of and willingness to promote current health and safety practices of the theater industry
- Demonstrated creative judgment, excellent problem-solving skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability and willingness to exercise professional courtesy and discretion at all times, and maintain confidentiality as required
- Adaptability to changing priorities, deadlines and numerous concurrent projects necessary
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theater which includes evenings and weekends.
Compensation: Base Salary in the range of $65,000 - $80,000 annually
Benefits: Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Second Stage is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.
How to Apply: https://grnh.se/de79ee163us
Salary: $65,000 - $80,000