Executive Director - Theatre HarrisburgBack to Jobs | View More Full Time Jobs - Administrative Listings
Do you have the rare combination of a creative soul, a business mind, and the ability to immediately inspire trust in others? Do you naturally mobilize others to join you in pursuits of excellence? Do you dream of leading a team of staff and volunteers in bringing new energy and vitality to one of the country’s oldest community theatres to sustain its position as a flagship arts organization in the Harrisburg PA Capital Region? If so, Theatre Harrisburg is looking for you!
Theatre Harrisburg is seeking a dynamic, proven leader to spearhead operations as the Theatre approaches its 100th anniversary coming up in 2026. In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead efforts to redefine how this important arts organization serves the community through diverse and affordable theatre experiences, and opportunities for creative expression, theatre education and intellectual stimulation. You will be the chief culture creator, ensuring that staff and volunteers mix fun with fundamental values of trust and mutual respect. You will lead by example demonstrating a commitment to inclusivity and representation for all in our community. You’ll unabashedly invite others to be part of Theatre Harrisburg, inviting gifts of time, talent, and treasure. You will report to and foster collaborative work with the Board of Directors. As the public face of the organization, you will lead philanthropic efforts to sustain financial stability, manage day-to-day operations, and act as primary spokesperson and advocate for the theatre.
Use your own knowledge and skills, and draw on the resources of staff and Board of Directors, to:
• Manage all aspects of the Theatre’s operations with emphasis on fundraising, financial and administrative functions, and audience growth.
• Provide ultimate accountability for the Theatre’s overall fiscal, creative, production, and operational success.
• Develop and implement the Theatre’s fundraising, marketing, and strategic plans.
• Work with the Board of Directors to refine the Theatre’s mission and lead a planning process to establish goals and action plans consistent with that mission.
• Develop and manage the Theatre’s operating budget and assure operational expenditures comply with the annual budget.
• Manage the process of creating the theatrical season and ensure the quality of theatrical productions.
• Manage a staff of 4, currently consisting of an Artistic and Production Director, Technical Director, Costume Designer, and Director of Marketing and Administration. Act as the liaison between Board and staff.
• Forge productive working relationships with the volunteer Board of Directors.
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward existing and prospective donors.
• Use a variety of communication strategies to grow and maintain relationships with donors, volunteers, and friends of the Theatre.
• Lead and implement the use of the Theatre’s donor management system to capture giving information and use data to maximize fundraising efforts.
• Attend performances to build relationships with audiences and donors, monitor production quality, address any problems and customer service matters in real-time, and provide volunteer support.
• A bachelor’s degree or relevant experience. Concentration in theatre, arts management, or related field is highly desirable.
• Results-oriented executive or management experience is strongly preferred. Nonprofit theatre management experience is highly desirable.
• Demonstrated success in fundraising, sales, or business development. Must be proficient in relationship building and marketing. Experience with donor management system preferred.
• Proficiency in supervising and managing staff and volunteers preferred.
• Forward-thinking, creative, energetic, technologically savvy, and able to work in a collaborative manner with diverse constituencies.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a volunteer Board of Directors, volunteer actors, and paid directors, and oversee the development and implementation of a compelling artistic vision.
• Must have a fundamental belief in the transformative power of theatre to enhance and change people’s lives and grow the vibrancy of communities.
Starting salary is $50,000 + benefits (health, vacation/sick)
Professional references (including name, email, phone, and work relationship)
To apply, please send the required documents to Theatre Harrisburg Executive Director Search Committee via email at email@example.com. The Board will begin reviewing applications immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
For more information, visit www.theatreharrisburg.com.