BWW Feature: Druid Theatre launches the Marie Mullen Theatre Bursary
Druid Theatre, Galway, Ireland, announces the inaugural Marie Mullen Bursary, open to female theatre artists working in Ireland in the fields of design, directing and dramaturgy.
"It's a great honour to launch a bursary for female theatre artists in the name of my great friend and colleague, Marie Mullen," said Druid Artistic Director Garry Hynes. "It's a very busy year for Druid in terms of productions and touring, but it's important for us to continue creating opportunities for artists through initiatives such as the Marie Mullen Bursary, alongside our open submissions for playwrights, and our FUEL programme for theatre artists in the West of Ireland."
Marie Mullen Theatre Bursary
Named after actor and Druid co-founder, Marie Mullen, the award is intended to address the historic imbalance of female representation in theatre and to support the professional development of women in Irish theatre. The Bursary is open to female dramaturgs, directors and designers who have a proven commitment to Irish theatre.
"I have been nourished and inspired by the work of so many artists in my long career in Irish theatre. It's a privilege to have this bursary in my name and I look forward to supporting and working with the women who benefit from it," said Marie Mullen.
The award will provide a female theatre artist with the time, physical resources and mentoring necessary to support their work. There will be one recipient of the Marie Mullen Theatre Bursary in 2018.
The successful recipient will receive:
- A minimum 4-week residency as Associate Artist with Druid on a company production
- A one to one session with Marie Mullen on working in the theatre industry
- Mentoring opportunities with theatre professionals
- A contract to direct/dramaturg a Druid Debut (for directors/dramturgs only)
- An opportunity to engage with the Druid Ensemble in relation to a specific project
- An opportunity to attend FUEL and Druid Academy workshops and events
- A bursary award of €2,000
Eligibility criteria and application process
The bursary is open to female artists who currently reside in Ireland only. To be considered, female artists must:
- Apply via the online application form by noon on April 27 2018
- Provide two references from an industry professional familiar with their work
- Include a resume outlining their recent work
For full details, see the Druid website.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Applications will be acknowledged by email on receipt.
A selection panel of industry professionals will determine a shortlist of applicants for interviews. Interviews will take place May 10-22. The successful applicant will be notified by May 25.
Photo credit: Matthew Thompson