BONESHAKER & SKELEBRATION to Open Redmoon's Indoor Season, 11/1-3
Chicago's acclaimed Spectacle company Redmoon kicks off its new "Redmoon INDOORS" Spectacle Series this November with two multimedia events celebrating the ritual of Halloween in fresh, alternative ways, both under the leadership of Producing Artistic Director Frank Maugeri and the event direction of Artistic Associate Will Bishop. On Friday, November 1 (All Saints Day), the 3rd annual Boneshaker returns for a 21-and-over night of costumed fun that combines interactive site-specific design and unique contraptions with hours of unexpected entertainment. Immediately following Boneshaker, Saturday and Sunday, November 2-3, Redmoon opens its mammoth 57,000-square-foot Pilsen headquarters for Skelebration, a new event for parents and children to celebrate the fall season and adventure together in Redmoon's exploratory Spectacle playground. Both Boneshaker and Skelebration take place in Redmoon's home at 2120 S. Jefferson Street.
"At Redmoon, we're opening our 'INDOORS' season with something for everyone. First, a 21-and-over happening that Chicagoans have begun to look forward to each year, and then something for families," said Maugeri. "Boneshaker is a contemporary, wild, outrageous experience for the 21st-century adventurer. We will wholly transform our new home into an immersive, interactive Spectacle universe. Skelebration is a similar event but altered for kids of all ages. As the father of seven-year-old twins, I wanted a sophisticated, unusual, exploratory event that would absolutely amaze kids and be a ton of fun for parents, too. That's what we're creating here: an event full of eclectic hands-on activities and Spectacle wonder that will be unforgettable for both its sheer scale and imagination."
Friday, November 1, 2013
9:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
Boneshaker is coordinated and produced by the Youth Engineering Spectacle (Y.E.S.) Committee, Redmoon's young professionals board. It's an interactive night of revelry, music, dancing, food and drink, all on an epic scale. Among the many offerings of this festive world of Spectacle are:
· Performances by the 30-person punk rock marching band Mucca Pazza
· A chance to be in a two-minute, live-feed movie, complete with director, actors and green screen elements, projected upon a giant screen for all guests to view
· An interactive, underwater-themed shadow world
· An indoor roller skate rink - roller skates provided - complete with a roller skating bear
· The "Breakin' the Law" motorcycle carousel
· An indoor swing park
· Beat-box artist Jam One
· Several mobile DJ contraptions, including Redmoon's massive "Sonic Boom" mobile device capable of 12,000 watts of sound
· Outdoor performances by a Redmoon signature, the "Fire Organ," a dual forklift with 12 organ pipes which shoot bursts of fire synchronized with music
· Various food and drink contraptions, including the "Kegway," a new Redmoon invention which combines a Segway with tap service, plus classic Redmoon service devices: "Wine Bikes," "The Teapot Libation Machine" and more
· An opportunity to roast hot dogs outdoors on Redmoon's massive "Fire Candelabras"
Free shuttle service during Boneshaker is provided by Chicago Classic Coach, running from 10 p.m. onward between Redmoon and 77 W. Wacker Drive downtown.
Tickets to Boneshaker are on sale now and are priced at $75, which include food and drinks throughout the evening. Boneshaker is a 21+ event. Tickets are available by calling the Redmoon Box Office at 312-850-8440 x123 or online at www.redmoon.org. Special group rates are available.
Saturday and Sunday, November 2-3, 2013
Times: 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
The Saturday and Sunday following Boneshaker, Redmoon presents Skelebration, a brand new family-friendly event for parents and children to explore, discover and connect with their community. For two-hour blocks, families have a chance to:
· Build shadow puppets and perform in Redmoon's giant shadow world shows
· Build masks to wear in a parade alongside Redmoon performers and massive mobile DJ devices
· Play in Redmoon's indoor park of swings and roller skates - roller skates provided
· Bicycle around the space - bicycles provided or families may bring their own
· Watch Laika's Coffin, a four-person puppet opera created by Maugeri and directed by Alex Balestrieri, Redmoon Director of Events
· Enjoy folk and rock music by various family acts and musical schools from across the city
Tickets for Skelebration are on sale now and are priced at $20 for adults, $12 for kids age 3+ and free for kids under 3. Skelebration is for all ages. Tickets include two-hour entrance, food and activities. Tickets are available by calling the Redmoon Box Office at 312-850-8440 x123 or online at www.redmoon.org.