NATAS Announces 38th News & Documentary Emmy Award Winners
Winners of the 38th Annual News and Documentary Emmy®Awards were announced tonight by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences(NATAS). The News & Documentary Emmy® Awards were presented at a ceremony at Jazz at Lincoln Center's Frederick P. Rose Hall in New York City.
"It is with great pleasure that the National Academy honors the men and women of the television news and documentary industry who provide us with the in-depth coverage and analysis of events that affect our lives and those around the globe," said Chuck Dages, Chairman, NATAS. "I can't think of a time in our recent history when the need for clear and factual reporting was more paramount," said Bob Mauro, President & CEO, NATAS. "Tonight, we honor those who are steadfast in their belief that an informed electorate is the cornerstone of our great democracy."
The event was attended by more than 1,000 television and news media industry executives, news and documentary producers and journalists. Emmy® Awards were presented in 49 categories. Legendary anchor Charles Osgood was honored for his almost 50 years in radio and television, including his many years hosting, "CBS Sunday Morning." The lifetime achievement award was presented by past President of NBC News, former Washington Bureau Chief for CBS News, and past Chairman of the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, Bill Small.
In addition, a special tribute honoring the 50th anniversary of the CBS' news program, "60 Minutes" was introduced by current Executive Producer, Jeff Fager.
This year's award presenters included:
• NJ Burkett, Award-winning correspondent for New York's Eyewitness News, WABC-TV,
First Vice Chairman of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, and past
President of the Academy's flagship chapter in New York.
• Chuck Dages, Chairman, The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
• Jeff Fager, Executive Producer, 60 Minutes.
• Katty Kay, anchor of BBC World News America and Beyond 100 Days, based in Washington
DC. , and contributor to MORNING JOE and Meet the Press.
• Scott Kelly, former military fighter pilot, retired astronaut, and U.S. Navy captain, and a
veteran of four space flights, including the year-long mission to the International Space
• Tom Llamas, anchor, ABC News World News Tonight weekend editions, and Chief National
Correspondent reporting for all ABC News programs and platforms.
• Bob Mauro, President, The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
• Bruce Paisner, President & CEO of The International Academy of Television Arts &
Sciences, the largest organization of broadcasters in the world, which recognizes excellence
in international television programming with The International Emmy® Award.
• Byron Pitts, co-anchor, ABC News' Nightline.
• Marvin Scott, Senior Correspondent of New York's PIX 11 News at 10, host of the weekly
issues-oriented program PIX 11 News Closeup and a Trustee of the National Academy of
Television Arts & Sciences.
• Bill Small, past President of NBC News, former Washington Bureau Chief for CBS News,
and past Chairman of the News and Documentary Emmy Awards.
• Jake Tapper, CNN anchor and Chief Washington correspondent, host of The Lead with Jake
Tapper, and State of the Union.
• Katy Tur, NBC News Correspondent and anchor of the 2 p.m. ET hour of "MSNBC Live."
Author of "Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American
• Clarissa Ward, senior international correspondent for CNN based in the network's London
Yangaroo, Inc. is the official provider of the Digital Media Distribution System Awards
Management Solution ("DMDS") for the submission, judging and voting of all programs in the 38th Annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards. Accounting services for the competition are provided by the firm of Lutz & Carr, LLP. International Emmy® Awards are tabulated by the accounting firm Ernst & Young. United Airlines is the official airline of The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
The numerical breakdown by award recipients, by broadcast, cable and broadband entities, as compiled by the independent accountancy firm of Lutz & Carr LLP, follows:<
PBS 12 MSNBC 2
CBS 9 Council on Foreign Relations 1
ABC 5 CuriosityStream 1
HBO 5 JauntVR 1
CNN 3 National Geographic 1
Univision 3 Telemundo 1
Discovery Channel 2 The New York Times 1
Regional Reporting Winners
KTLM-TV 1 WCAU-TV 1
A complete list of the 38th Annual News & Documentary Emmy Award recipients is also
available on the National Academy's web site at www.emmyonline.tv.