Conservatives Enraged Over Pro-Choice Manhattan Mini Storage Ad

Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Conservatives Enraged Over Pro-Choice Manhattan Mini Storage Ad

A Manhattan Mini Storage billboard on Manhattan's West Side Highway is again stirring up both opprobrium and approbation.

A large sign at 44th Street and Twelfth Avenue shows a wire hanger with the words "Your closet space is shrinking as fast as her right to choose."

An earlier ad for the company read, "Your Closet's Scarier Than Bush's Agenda."

The president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, William Donohue, told The New York Sun the sign was "insulting and highly offensive." The president of a Manhattan-based nonprofit organization, Morality in Media, Robert Peters, said he did not know why the company would want to turn away a significant number of potential customers, such as immigrants from more conservative cultures. But the associate vice president of public affairs for Planned Parenthood of New York City, Roger Rathman, applauded the billboard. "We think it's fabulous," he said. "We salute Manhattan Mini Storage for helping to make New Yorkers as aware as we are of the growing restrictions on reproductive freedom in this country."

Most Manhattan residents support abortion rights, a spokeswoman for NARAL Pro-Choice America, Mary Alice Carr, said. She said it is great when a company wears "its pro-choice values on its sleeve -- or on its building."

Read more at link:
Mini Storage Billboard Aims At Abortion-Rights Activists
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
William Donohoe is a pompous blowhard.

If you knew how many ridiculous commercials I had to hear in the South proclaiming their supposed love of Jesus and commitment to "traditional values" -- roofers, restaurants, even a pair of attorneys -- you'd vomit.

When those companies all agree to stop promoting their personal politics, I'll proceed to get outraged along with Billy boy.
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kringas
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you knew how many ridiculous commercials I had to hear in the South proclaiming their supposed love of Jesus and commitment to "traditional values" -- roofers, restaurants, even a pair of attorneys -- you'd vomit.

Word, Hizzonah! When I was in St Louis there was a commercial for a furniture store where the owner makes a big friggin deal about how they're closed on Sunday because it's the lord's day and blah blah blah blah, and I really want to send him this book that just showed up in my mailbox one day. The name escapes me at the moment, but it was this crazy screed about how the Sabbath is really Saturday and how all Christians who worship on Sunday are going to hell.

I am in love with this ad. It makes me want to put some stuff in storage and have an abortion.
"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I find the ad offensive. I don't look to storage centers for political guidance. I respect the owner's right to his/her opinion and the right to express that opinion, but if I were looking to rent storage, I would avoid that place. For the record, I would also avoid a place that had an anti-abortion sign.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They also had an ad about Dick Cheney not too long ago. I think it said, "You're closet's so narrow, it makes Dick Cheney look liberal."

And one about Paris Hilton. Something about the closet being so shallow that it made Paris look deep.

My favorite "Jesus is good for business" commercial used to be the attorneys, Simmons and Fletcher, in Houston. They'd quote Bible verses for no reason and told the "Render unto Caesar..." story to show...well, I don't know. Because Jesus loved to sue, I guess.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't understand what's offensive. Women's right to choose IS rapidly disintegrating. Roe v Wade will be overturned in our lifetimes.

Betsy Donahue gets her panties in knots over the slightest provocation. She's more sensitive than an Iranian ayatollah with a fatwa in his pocket.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well, duh, it's called manhattan mini storage, not duluth mini storage.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
madbrian, have you seen the voting patterns of Manhattan? It's savvy marketing. It's not like the company is worried about what Bubba Joe in Alabama thinks of their company, because he won't be storing his Roto-Tiller there anyway. Just like, as I was pointing out, they pander to the Jesus lovers in the South.
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Conservatives Enraged Over Pro-Choice Manhattan Mini Storage Ad
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 8/16/07 at 10:31 PM
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Calvin - I'm having trouble reconciling your mockery of Southern Bible thumping ads with your comment about the storage ad being savvy marketing. I find both offensive, and wouldn't patronize either. I don't shop for a pro-choice storage facility, just as I don't seek out a religious lawyer, roofer, etc.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I found the ad rather shocking and borderline offensive myself. I'm not sure where I ultimately stand on abortion but I don't think it's necessary to bring such a polarizing issue into a marketing campaign for a storage facility.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#12
Posted: 8/16/07 at 10:38pm
madbrian, you just don't f*cking get it! it uses scare tactics against pro-lifers (i.e. rethuglicans) and if you can't get behind that then you have no right to be on a broadway themed message board. how dare you even question this!?! you should be ashamed of yourself. get with the program or get the f*ck out!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#13
Posted: 8/16/07 at 10:45pm
brian -- they're BOTH savvy marketing techniques. Let them run whatever they think sells their products. My mockery is more about Bill Donohue's sudden outrage. This is the only ad of its type I'm aware of, but those others have been around for years. And I'd think appropriating the cheif deity of your religion to make a buck should be more outrageous to a religious leader than a single company's ad in one of the most progressive cities in the U.S.

Updated On: 8/16/07 at 10:45 PM
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#14
Posted: 8/16/07 at 10:46pm
Calvin - fair enough...you find them both savvy, I find them both offensive...agree to disagree?
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#15
Posted: 8/16/07 at 10:49pm
Sure. And remember: Just because I find them savvy doesn't mean I personally like them. you're either with us or you're against us
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#16
Posted: 8/16/07 at 11:01pm
I recently got a price quote from Throw Yourself Down the Stairs to Spontaneously Miscarry Piano Movers.

Dirt cheap.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#17
Posted: 8/16/07 at 11:04pm
i thought you were going with "partially deliver a baby before killing it as it kicks and call it anything but murder movers."

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#18
Posted: 8/16/07 at 11:09pm
Well it certainly elicits a reaction whichever side you're on but it doesn't make me want to rent storage space.
....but the world goes 'round
Kringas
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#19
Posted: 8/16/07 at 11:11pm
My friend did the Throw Yourself Down the Stairs to Spontaneously Miscarry Piano Movers thing in high school, but I think she used the off-brand. Then she dropped out and went crazy. She looked a lot like Patty Duke crossed with Fairuza Balk in The Craft.
HDThoreau2 Profile PhotoHDThoreau2 Profile Photo
HDThoreau2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The AD is Stupid...Who Cares? #20
Posted: 8/17/07 at 12:24am
I'm conservative, and I could care less about that ad.
If Tom DeLay is The Hammer, then I proclaim a new title for the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi: The Briber. Nancy Pelosi had to bribe her members with spinach to get their votes.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The AD is Stupid...Who Cares? #21
Posted: 8/17/07 at 12:56am
"I recently got a price quote from Throw Yourself Down the Stairs to Spontaneously Miscarry Piano Movers."

LOL! My laugh for the day although it's already tomorrow.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Kringas
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#22
Posted: 8/17/07 at 9:36am
I remembered the name of the book! It's National Sunday Law. Freaky thing just showed up in my mailbox one day.

National Sunday Law
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 09:36 AM
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#23
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:26am
See, they could have tied in with the storage ad better. Something like:

"Your closet's full of more wire hangers than a South Dakota abortion clinic."
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you're either with us or you're against us#24
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:55am
I am in love with this ad. It makes me want to put some stuff in storage and have an abortion.

Love it!