Impact and Academy Theatres Present THE UPROOTING
Academy Theatre and Impact Theatre Atlanta will be opening their 2017/18 season with The Uprooting by Betty Chaney, directed by Brenda Porter. This sequel to last summer's hit The Rooting Place picks up after 20 years have passed.
The story follows Oba, a young man who struggles with his light complexion in a dark-skinned family. He returns to Mississippi to claim his great, great grandmother's inheritance. With the help of his grandparents, Effie Raye and Buddy, he also seeks to gain his cousins' respect.
"I am delighted to bring Betty Chaney's latest work to the stage." says Brenda Porter, Founder and Artistic Director of Impact Theatre Atlanta. "Audiences fell in love with the Townsend family last summer, and I look forward to presenting the next chapter in their story."
Greta Glenn, who stars as Effie Raye, says, "I'm so happy to be back at the Academy Theatre and working with Brenda Porter." Greta was last seen in at the Academy Theatre in Tapas II, and was also in The Rooting Place.
This show is rated PG-13, and not suitable for young audiences due to some adult content.
- What:The Uprooting by Betty Chaney, directed by Brenda Porter, A World Premiere
- Who: Impact Theatre Atlanta and The Academy Theatre
- Where: Hapeville Performing Arts Center, 599 N. Central Ave, Hapeville, Ga. 30354
- When: Aug. 11-27, Thursday/Friday/Saturday at 8pm, Saturday/Sunday at 3pm
- Tickets: $25 at the door, $20 at http://uprooting.brownpapertickets.com