Step Up Your Dance Moves This Summer At Ailey With Performance Workshop Series & Master Classes
Ailey Extension invites dancers to find their summer groove with exciting workshops and master classes. In addition to its annual Summer Performance Workshop series, Ailey Extension will offer an Alonzo King LINES Ballet Master Class with Meredith Webster and a "Werk That Twerk" workshop with famed hip-hop instructor TweetBoogie. These opportunities allow students to refine their technique, boost stage presence, and perform movement highlighting their personal style while learning from some of New York City's top instructors at The Ailey Studios.
Summer Performance Workshops
Ailey Extension's annual Summer Performance Workshop gives novice students the chance to shine in the spotlight and take their training to the next level. Beginning Saturday, July 21, dancers can learn Horton, hip-hop, or ballet themed choreography and gain invaluable performance training with 16 hours of rehearsal over the course of four weeks. Under the guidance of Ailey Extension's notable instructors, students will expand their style of movement, enhance their ensemble skills, and cultivate confidence and stage presence. Each workshop culminates in two performances at the Ailey Citigroup Theater on Sunday, August 19 at 3pm & 7pm. The following five instructors will lead workshops:
- Karen Arceneaux (Horton) - July 21-August 18; Tuesdays, 7:30-9:30pm & Saturdays, 1:30-3:30pm: Karen studied Horton technique at The Ailey School under master teacher and scholar Ana Marie Forsythe. Currently Karen teaches fundamentals of this modern dance technique to beginner students twice a week at Ailey.
- Fernando Carrillo (Horton) - July 22-August 18; Sundays, 4-6pm & Tuesdays, 7-9pm: A former member of Ailey II and Ballet Hispánico, Fernando teaches absolute and advanced beginner Horton classes at Ailey Extension three times a week.
- TweetBoogie (Hip-Hop) - July 23-August 17; Wednesdays & Fridays, 6-7:30pm: TweetBoogie gives students a solid foundation on how to break down highly energetic hip-hop routines that build stamina and increase musicality. She has worked with many celebrities throughout her career and was featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show and So You Think You Can Dance Canada.
- Robin Dunn (Hip-Hop) - July 24-August 18; Tuesdays & Thursdays 7-9pm: Before becoming a hip-hop instructor, Robin Dunn studied jazz, tap, ballet, Horton and Dunham at The Ailey School and various studios in New York City. For over 20 years, Robin has taught beginner dancers how to learn and master basic hip-hop choreography.
- Yuka Kawazu (Ballet) - July 25-August 18; Wednesdays & Fridays; 7:30-9:30pm: Native to Kanagawa, Japan, Yuka has performed throughout the United States and Japan as corps, soloist, and principal dancer with many distinguished ballet and theater companies. At Ailey Extension, she teaches the fundamentals of ballet technique, focusing on the use of body directions, balances in all positions, simple jumps, as well as details of port de bras.
Alonzo King LINES Ballet Master Class with Meredith Webster
In association with CityParks SummerStage, the Alonzo King LINES Ballet Master Class on Tuesday, July 24 at 7pm will explore classical technique that is grounded in tradition while driving towards the future. Ballet master and former LINES company dancer Meredith Webster will teach traditional ballet barre work filled with expressive imagery and philosophies that underscore LINES choreography. Open to intermediate and advanced students, Meredith encourages dancers to explore movement with their personal point of view.
Werk That Twerk with TweetBoogie
Werk That Twerk is for all people whose twerk just don't work. On Saturday, July 28 and Sunday, August 11 from 4-6pm, hip-hop instructor TweetBoogie guides students through the fundamentals and basics of Twerking. TweetBoogie's career in dance has taken her all over the world, having worked with major brands like Nike and Apple, and performed alongside chart-topping artists like Jay-Z, Destiny's Child, and Fergie. For a sneak peak of this workshop, check out her How To Twerk YouTube tutorial, which has garnered nearly 45 million views.
In addition to these new workshops, Ailey Extension also offers recurring workshops like Move Your Curves with Pretty BIG Movement (Saturday, July 21 at 7pm) and Afro Flow Yoga with Pilin Anice (Sunday, July 29 at 2pm), which was featured recently on SELF.com. Seven days a week, students at all levels can experience over 25 different dance and fitness techniques, including salsa, yoga, jazz, tap, Zumba, and more. For the complete class schedule or to register, visit www.aileyextension.com.
SUMMER WORKSHOP HIGHLIGHTS
Learn Horton, hip-hop, or ballet choreography and perform in front of family and friends
July 21-August 18, Various Dates & Times / $230
Final performances on Sunday, August 19, 3pm & 7pm / Tickets on sale soon
Move Your Curves with Pretty BIG Movement
Empowers students of all shapes and sizes to express themselves through dance
Saturday, July 21, 7-9pm / $20
Alonzo King LINES Ballet Master Class with Meredith Webster
Explores classical technique, expressive imagery, and philosophies in LINES choreography
Tuesday, July 24, 7-8:30pm / $30
Teaches the fundamentals of twerking to those whose twerk just don't work
Saturdays, July 28 & August 11, 4-6pm / $25
Infuses meditative yoga with African diasporic movements and live drumming
Sundays, July 29 & August 19, 2-3:30pm / $20
About Ailey Extension
Since its inception in 2005, Ailey Extension has fulfilled Mr. Ailey's life-long commitment of bringing dance to everyone by offering "real classes for real people." Ailey Extension offers over 25 different dance and fitness techniques such as Horton, Ballet, Masala Bhangra, West African, Samba, Jazz, Zumba, House and Hip-Hop. Over 125,000 people have taken classes at Ailey's home, New York's largest building dedicated to dance, where dancers of all levels and walks of life can learn and be inspired - body, mind, and spirit! For additional press materials, including photos, videos, and class descriptions, visit pressroom.alvinailey.org.