New Live CD from Billy Porter Released in February
Sh-k-boom Records announced today the release of Billy Porter's CD entitled "At The Corner of Broadway and Soul -- Live at Joe's Pub" to coincide with the opening of his new one-man show, GHETTO SUPERSTAR at The Public Theater in New York in February 2005.
This album is a collection of 16 Broadway, Gospel and original R&B songs that were performed live last year at Joe's Pub. It is a soulful and empowering compilation of some of Billy's favorite songs and composers who inspired him from the time he was young to become the success he is today. It teaches you about taking chances and not taking "no" for an answer and more importantly lifts you up and helps you feel strong through his interpretation of the music.
Some of the songs on the album include Heaven by Rick Ian Gordon, Why I Sing, by Kirk Franklin, Let it Sing, by Jenine Tesori, Awaiting You, by Adam Guettel, King of the World, by Jason Robert Brown, Sunday and Last Midnight by Steven Sondheim, and a six original tracks written by Billy himself. Billy seems himself on the bridge between Broadway and Soul. He wanted to produce an album that allowed him to express himself fully in both worlds so this CD is divided into two parts each devoted to a single genre. His debut CD was called "Untitled" and released on A&M records.
The complete track list is as follows:
1. Introduction (:20) (George C. Wolfe)
2. Heaven (1:35) Ricky Ian Gordon/Langston Hughes
3. Why We Sing (5:04) Kirk Franklin
4. Let It Sing (4:37) Jeanine Tesori/Brian Crawley
5. "They Wrote It for Me " (:41)
6. Awaiting You (3:50) Adam Guettel
7. King of the World (4:35) Jason Robert Brown
8. And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going (1:54) Henry Krieger/Tom Eyen
9. "A Sondheim Holliday " (4:37) 10. Last Midnight (3:47) Stephen Sondheim
11. Feel it to Heal it (4:25) Billy Porter/Gary Haase
12. Use Me (4:00) Billy Porter/Brian Steckler
13. Tomorrow's Another Day (4:35) Billy Porter/Gary Haase
14. Hell of High Water (4:04) Billy Porter/ Rodney Lee
15. "I Know the Song, Ike " (2:34)
16. World's Gon Hav 2 Wait (6:29) Billy Porter/James Sampliner/Chris Pierce
17. World's Gon Hav 2 Wait (Reprise)(2:32)
18. Time(4:25) Billy Porter/Brian Steckler
19. Love is on the Way (4:39) Peter Zizzo/Tina Shaffer/Denise Rich
20. I Need You Now (5:07) Smokie Norful
21. Sunday (4:09) Stephen Sondheim
Billy Porter is a native of Pittsburgh and is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University where he received a B.F.A. in Drama. Film and television: Noel with Susan Sarandon and Robin Williams, The Broken Hearts Club, The Intern, Twisted, "Shake, Rattle & Roll" (CBS mini-series), "Another World," "The Tonight Show," and multiple appearances on "The Rosie O'Donnell Show." Broadway: Miss Saigon, Five Guys Named Moe, Grease (all original cast), Smokey Joe's Café and Dreamgirls (20th Anniversary Broadway Concert and Los Angeles production). Off-Broadway and regional credits: Romance In Hard Times, The Merchant of Venice, House of Lear, Radiant Baby (all at The Public), Jason Robert Brown's Songs for a New World, Angels in America (Actors Theatre of Louisville), Going Native (Long Wharf), Topdog/Underdog (City Theatre), Jesus Christ Superstar, Antigone, A Chorus Line, Chicago. Concerts: opening act for Rosie O'Donnell and Aretha Franklin; John McDaniel and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra; The Buffalo Philharmonic; Peter Nero and The Philly Pops; The New York Pops at Carnegie Hall; and Alvin Ailey's Revelations. Among his recordings: Billy Porter: Untitled (A&M Records), Home for the Holidays, Jim Brickman's Destiny (Top-ten AC hit), and the forthcoming At The Corner of Broadway & Soul: Live From Joe's Pub. His website is billyporter.com.
GHETTO SUPERSTAR (THE MAN THAT I AM) will open on Sunday, March 6th with press previews beginning Thursday, February 10th at The Public Theater in New York. GHETTO SUPERSTAR is a spiritual, sexual and musical odyssey that collides the teachings of the Pentecostal Church with the gospel according to Dreamgirls-- to reveal a unique take on what it means to be a man. From Pittsburgh to New York, to the intersection of Broadway and soul, Porter's personal journeys as a black, gay man, and as a performer are outrageous, spiritual, defiant and celebratory. Porter is GHETTO SUPERSTAR, a man with the voice of a diva whose experiences and truths have made him what he is.
Sh-K-Boom will officially release this CD on February 17th and will be available exclusively at The Public Theater and on the Sh-K-Boom web site www.shkboom.com