Ballet Hispanico's Celebrates A la Calle Block Party
Ballet Hispánico will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with "A la Calle" Block Party on Sunday, October 1 from 2-6 pm. This celebration of Latino dance, music, art, food and community will take place on West 89th Street, NYC, between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues.
This free, four-hour event will include:
· Performances by the internationally renowned Ballet Hispánico Company
· Performances by the students of the Ballet Hispánico School of Dance students
· Outdoor dancing with live music by the acclaimed Latin music group Los Hacheros
· Free half-hour dance classes for adults and children with instructors from the Ballet Hispánico School of Dance
· Food and beverages with a distinctive Latino flair
· Fun activities for children and families.
· A special free raffle including items donated by neighborhood vendors
"No other Latino organization can celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month lIke Ballet Hispánico, because we will do it with dance!" said Eduardo Vilaro, Artistic Director and CEO of Ballet Hispánico. "We've been bringing individuals and communities together to celebrate and explore Latino cultures and the shared human experience through dance for more than 45 years. Our "A la Calle" Block Party will bring the celebration to the Upper West Side neighborhood which has been our home from the very beginning of Ballet Hispánico."
Mr. Vilaro believes that the moment of silence and solidarity at the beginning of the "A la Calle" Block Party honors the strong bonds which exists within the Latino community.
"It is a traumatic and difficult time for our sisters and brothers in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Caribbean," Mr. Vilaro said. "The destruction of families, homes, and communities by these natural disasters has affected all of us. There are no words for the loss or damage these events have brought to our families and our communities. They need us now more than ever. We will support them as best we can with the work we do at Ballet Hispánico."
"Ballet Hispánico has always been a refuge for the spirit of our culture and access to the arts. We will continue to be our community's beacon."
Upcoming Ballet Hispánico Hispanic Heritage Month activities include:
· This year's Instituto Coreográfico on October 5 at 7 pm will feature the work of acclaimed Spanish choreographer Carlos Pons Guerra. Moderated by Ballet Hispánico Artistic Director & CEO Eduardo Vilaro, the program will include a showing by Guerra, as well as a lively discussion with the choreographer and the dancers. https://fs18.formsite.com/BalletHispanico/HHMfree/index.html
· On Saturday, October 14 from 8-10 pm, Ballet Hispánico will offer the inaugural performance of the Ballet Hispánico Tablao series. Headlined by internationally celebrated dancer Nelida Tirado, this two-hour intimate performance will bring the Flamenco nightclub scene to the intimate Penthouse Studio of Ballet Hispánico. Tickets are $20 and there will be refreshments. https://fs18.formsite.com/BalletHispanico/Tablao/index.html
More Hot Stories For You
For the second year in a row, Hamilton will host a special fan performance on Thursday, October 31 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway, with al... (read more)
Breaking: Ethan Slater, Gavin Lee & More Will Reunite to Film SPONGEBOB for Nickelodeon
Following a critically lauded run on Broadway, members of the original award-winning Broadway company of The SpongeBob Musical: Live On Stage! will re... (read more)
BWW Photo Exclusive: Adam Pascal Stars In THE MUSIC MAN At 5-Star Theatricals
Tony nominee Adam Pascal stars as Professor Harold Hill in the first show of the 5-Star Theattricals 2019-2020 season, THE MUSIC MAN.... (read more)
MOULIN ROUGE To Head To The West End in 2021
The blockbuster Broadway hit, Moulin Rouge, will be heading to the West End in 2021!... (read more)
Tony Nominee Jenn Colella Will Depart COME FROM AWAY in November
BroadwayWorld has just learned that Jenn Colella, original cast member of Come From Away, will depart the musical next month. Colella was Tony-nominat... (read more)
Exclusive: Get A First Look At Teal Wicks, Bobby Conte Thornton, And More In LAST DAYS OF SUMMER
BroadwayWorld has a first look at the new musical LAST DAYS OF SUMMER, presented by George Street Playhouse and directed by Jeff Calhoun (NEWSIES, GRE... (read more)