Gene Watson Brings Country Classic To Spencer Theater
Considered one of the most masterful vocalists in classic country, Gene Watson is called "The Singer's Singer " by his many peers. His powerful voice and multi-octave range delivers chart-toppers like"Fourteen Carat Mind," "Paper Rosie," "Nothing Sure Looked Good On You" and "Farewell Party" with a beauty that's smooth, mellow and true.
On his most recent album release, Real. Country. Music, Watson assures his proud legion of fans that traditional country music is alive and well, sharing overlooked gems from the catalogs of Kris Kristofferson, Larry Gatlin and Bill Anderson in new arrangements with fabulous steel guitar. His Spencer Theater gig on Saturday, February 9 at 7 p.m. will be a concert filled with Real. Country. Music, poignantWatson classics and story-songs of love, family and country. He'll be joined on stage by his band: guitarist Chad Phillips, percussionist Todd Hines, bass player Staley Rogers, Glenn Rodgers on piano and Robbie Primm on pedal steel. Excellent seats are available for $39-$65. Visit www.spencertheater.com or call (575) 336-4800 for tickets and information. A pre-show southern fried chicken buffet ($20) is also available in the lobby at 5 p.m.
Next on stage this season:
• Gene Watson, Country Classic - Saturday, February 9 at 7 p.m. ($39-$65). With a powerful voice, multi-octave range and searing steel guitar, Gene Watson and his band share his many smooth country hits including "Fourteen Carat Mind," "Paper Rosie," "Farewell Party" and more. Southern Fried Chicken Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• Murphy's Celtic Legacy - Saturday, February 23 at 7 p.m. ($69-$75). This Irish company features more than 20 musicians and dancers with some of the quickest, most expressive legs in the world. Most of the cast previously starred in "Riverdance" and "Lord of the Dance." Traditional Beef Pot Roast Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The Wizard of OZ - Sunday, March 10 at 1 p.m. & 7 p.m. ($79-$85). Based on the 1939 MGM movie classic, this treasured musical follows the yellow brick road from Broadway to the technical wonderland of the Spencer with a stellar cast of 30+ singers, actors, orchestra musicians and plus awesome sets and breathtaking special effects. Produced by one of the most respected touring Broadway companies in the country. Glazed Spiral Ham Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The Illusionists Live >From Broadway - Tuesday, March 19 at 7 p.m. ($79-$85) Broadway's biggest selling magic spectacular, this mind-blowing, high-tech extravaganza features a cast of five individual artists with titles that bely incredibly specialized skills: The Daredevil, The Deductionist, The Grand Illusionist, The Manipulator and The Trickster. Shrimp & Beef Kebabs Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• The Satin Dolls "Sing, Swing and Sizzle!" - Saturday, April 13 at 7 p.m. ($39 - $65). This ensemble of entertainment beauties sing and tap-dance big band classics in a costumed stage show reminiscent of a 1940s USO tour. Joined by a 5-piece band, the night of music includes "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," "In The Mood, "String of Pearls" and more. Roasted Red Chile Turkey Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• "Jump Jive & Wail" Starring The Jive Aces - Saturday, April 27 at 7 p.m. ($39 - $65). Decked out in brilliant Zoot suits and armed with big brass horns and strings, this 6-man British swing band is renowned for its infectious arrangements of big band classics and rockabilly rhythms: "Sing, Sing, Sing," "That Old Black Magic," "Boogie Woogie Country Girl" and more. Special guest actress/vocalist Makinna Ridgway adds a satiny finish to a number of tunes. Homestyle Angus Beef Meatloaf Buffet ($20) at 5 p.m.
• CATS - Tuesday, May 14 at 7 p.m. and Wednesday, May 15 at 1 p.m. ($79-$85). This Andrew Lloyd Webber stage phenomenon features an utterly unique story about a magical tribe of cats gathering at its annual ball. Winner of 7 Tony Awards including Best Musical, CATS features an Equity cast of performers, outstanding singers, dancers, sets and costumes, and one of the most treasured melodies in musical theater, "Memory." Buffets, $20 each: Italian Sausage or Chicken Pasta Bar at 5 p.m. Tuesday; Fried Chicken & Waffles at 11 a.m. Wednesday.
Get your season tickets now! Series tickets (four or more shows) will be processed beginning September 10. Single tickets and phone sales begin September 11. For tickets or information call the Spencer Theater at 575.336.4800 or go online to www.spencertheater.com. Fax: (575) 336-0055. By mail: Donna Clarke, Box Office Manager, Spencer Theater, 108 Spencer Road, Alto, NM 88312.